iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Frozen logs

Started by Bruno of NH, December 26, 2019, 03:58:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruno of NH

I have always had a hard time to mill frozen hardwood.
Member 4x4 told me to try the frost notch bands.
Put some frozen hard maple on the mill this afternoon.
They cut great nice and flat.
I'm sold on them in the hardwood.
Anyone having a tough go in the frozen hardwood should give them a go.
4x4 said they didn't work good in softwood on his mill.
I'm going to try them.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

moodnacreek

Sawing frozen logs has a lot to do with how wet they where when they froze. Maple is all sap to begin with and when frozen or half frozen it will separate the men from the boys. Other wood is only wet on the outside and all the trouble is with the jacket boards. [the center cant cuts like in warm weather] If you can saw frozen hard maple you are doing very good.

Andries

Quote from: Bruno of NH on December 26, 2019, 03:58:57 PMMember 4x4 told me to try the frost notch bands.
They cut great nice and flat.
Bruno; I've been using 4 degree Kasco bands on frozen elm, ash and oak.
They work pretty well, but I'm always open to new ideas . . . 
What are 'frost notch' bands? A brand, or profile, or ?
Thanks.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

moodnacreek

On the circle saw you use a tooth with a protrusion that stops the swirl of sawdust in the gullet. Another and better method is the frost shank that puts this protrusion farther down in the gullet. This allows the use of cheaper teeth but carbide teeth cannot be used . Before these methods where available you where instructed to use old short narrow teeth kept very sharp with perfect corners. A thin kerf was wanted so the sawdust couldn't get alongside of the saw plate. [where it would refreeze and guide the saw off line]  And this is the problem.                I'm sure Bruno can explain the tooth style he is using on the bandsaw that stops the swirl and changes the shape of the chips [saw dust]

gmmills

Bruno, Were you using the Munkfors, deck duster, frost notch profile or the Advantage frost notch profile? There are significant differences in both profiles. I know the last time I spoke to 4x4, he had tried both profiles. I think he found the Advantage profile to perform better in his application.    
Custom sawing full-time since 2000. 
WM LT70D62 Remote with Accuset
Sawing since 1995

Andries

Quote from: moodnacreek on December 26, 2019, 09:21:30 PM
On the circle saw ... so the sawdust couldn't get alongside of the saw plate. [where it would refreeze and guide the saw off line]  And this is the problem.
Ah, ok. 
Thanks moodna, that makes sense for the circle saw.
I've often wondered how sawyers in your part of the world deal with partially frozen logs.
Sunny side up would be thawed out. The part of the log in the shade would be like the dark side of the moon - frozen solid.
That kind of frustration would lead to  . . ..  #%$@! 
So sawdust extraction is the key.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Bruno of NH

I got them from DW bands in Pa
There is a notch in the tooth just below the tip.
They have another design but only comes in a wider band.
I run 1.25 these are .050
I will get a picture
Hard maple can be a tough saw sometimes in the summer.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

gmmills

The notch being up near the tip is indicative of the Munkfors deck duster profile. Had a local mill owner running this profile on his grade re-saw in tough sawing conditions. He was using 2" .055's. These blades out performed a conventional profile when sawing frozen species of hardwoods native to our region.  He also bought them from DW Bands.    
Sawing since 1995

Bruno of NH

I'm still running the same band on clean maple logs.
It's still cutting flat and true.
I want to try them in spruce.
I have some to cut coming up.
They are not a fast band like the 747 but if I can cut nice lumber all winter , I will use them till spring and then go back to 747's and 4° as needed.
I can't see a makers Mark on the bands.
I do have to invert them before putting on the lt40 wide.
My plan is to mill all winter on the days it doesn't snow to bad and not colder than -10.

PAmizerman

Anyone have luck with these on frozen hemlock?
Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

Bruno of NH

PA
I will let you know
I'm going to try them

Bruno of NH

Pictures of the frost notch bands 171" × 1.25 × .050

ladylake

How do you sharpen them?   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Nebraska

Resembles a "chipsweep" profile I believe Lennox makes.

Bruno of NH

Steve,
I haven't yet
I think DW bands will
I need to check

moosehunter

Last winter I had some trouble with frozen hemlock. Waves at the knots. I went through all of my normal checks and adjustments with no improvement. As a last resort switched from 7° to 4°. Problem solved. Glad I had some 4s in the shed.

mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

GAB

Quote from: Bruno of NH on January 06, 2020, 11:53:27 AM
Pictures of the frost notch bands 171" × 1.25 × .50

Jim:
In both reply #6 and #11 you wrote "bands 171" × 1.25 × .50"
Are you sure about the .50?
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Bruno of NH

GAB,
That's what they told me when I ordered them

GAB

Quote from: Bruno of NH on January 06, 2020, 05:34:42 PM
GAB,
That's what they told me when I ordered them
Jim:
I believe it is said that way, however it is written 171" × 1.25" × .050".
I doubt that your blades are 1/2" thick.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Stephen1

Interesting profile, I had a customer ask me to sharpen his blades that looked like that.
 He had bought a Clarke mill and the blades came with the mill. I told him to go buy some WM blades and I woul sharpen them for him.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

gmmills

No issue with sharpening this blade profile. CBN wheels are available directly from DW Bands.  This is a close up view of the Munkfors profile. This certainly looks identical to the profile that Bruno is using.

Sawing since 1995

Thank You Sponsors!