iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Thinking I should've said "no"?

Started by drobertson, July 12, 2013, 04:03:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beenthere

Frank
If going in with your stock, mill it to the thickness that fits what you have already stacked. Much easier to dry if stickered in a layer along with the same thickness.
But your call as to what you want to stock. The customer will want some other thickness, regardless of what you have.   ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

fishpimp

I milled this yard pecan last week. Definitely the hardest log ever on my mill. Milled most of it live edge slabs. Mayb another table. Also cut a few mantles . Those turbo 7s are the cats meow. The butt on this log was so **** hard. 

cutterboy

Last year I sawed 10 shagbark hickory logs. They were the hardest logs I've sawed but I got through them ok. I had to change blades more often than usual because they dulled pretty quick. I used the Cooks Super Sharps and had no real problems with my little 13hp engine manual mill. However, my largest log was 20".   I can't even fit a 30" log on my mill, but if I could, I think it would be tough going, maybe impossible on my little mill.   Cutter

Also, I second what YH said about the scales flying off the shagbark hickory logs. Just the blade going through the bark can fling them a good distance.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Better on your mill than mine.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

drobertson

He called this evening, loading up and coming sometime tomorrow, we'll see how big they are then, pics to follow,  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

WDH

Quote from: fishpimp on July 14, 2013, 07:51:50 PM
I milled this yard pecan last week. Definitely the hardest log ever on my mill.

To quote Hackberry Jake, "Pecan is the  smiley_devil"  :-\.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

drobertson

They came in this morning, about what I was expecting, fresh fell, but on its way out for sure, why else cut them? Might get a jump on them today, (while I have help) still not able to handle slabs yet, 

The 12' scale in the bottom row, signs of dote for sure,   david

295bd'ft butt log, kinda doty in my opionion, cut good, some real nice 1x12's in the stack,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Thank You Sponsors!