iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Drop Starting

Started by timberbeast, December 22, 2001, 05:49:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timberbeast

I can drop start with the chain brake engaged on my Stihls.  They do seem to start harder that way,  although that may be perception rather than fact.
Where the heck is my axe???

Kevin

Wake, my 92cc Stihl has the decomp, it starts well.

Gordon

My husky has decomp as well and you sure can tell the difference if you use it or not. On a cold start I'll use it. Warm start usually one pull so I don't always use it.

Gordon

RSteiner

I am new to this forum but not new to chain saws I never drop start my saws, even the big Sachs Dolmar.  Many years ago I attended two seminars put on by Soren Erickson he introduced me to one of the methods mentioned in this thread, placing the rear handle under one leg just above your knee.  I find I get good leverage and a straight pull on the starter rope.  

Using this method I have never pulled the starter rope out too far.  If the saw doesn't before you get tired take a break and fix the saw.

Randy
Randy

L. Wakefield

I TOTALLY agree on that last point. Yanking your arm off without good results is a hint that it's time to investigate WHY it won't start. Mine is currently a) cold and b) has real old gas in it- so guess what? I know even if I bring it in to warm it up, the results will be nil until I at least give it good gas and most likely pull the plug and clean it. :(   lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

Hey guys!
Drop start my small saws?  yeah.
When I put the 42" bar on my new Stihl 090 yesterday, to get ready to break it in on some small stuff tomorrow,  ... well,
let's just say, I don't think I will be drop starting this baby!
First, I better do some butter flies with dumbells or I'll tear a rotator cuff or something.  This thing weighs 35 lbs. and it almost, but not quite, tips over on its nose on its own bar weight.
I don't know whether I'll break in the saw or it will be the other way around.
Phil L.
Bi-VacAtional:  Piano tuner and sawyer.  (Use one to take a vacation from the other.) Have two Stihl 090s, one Stihl 075, Echo CS8000, Echo 346,  two Homely-ite 27AVs, Peterson 10" Swingblade Winch Production Frame, 36" and 54"Alaskan mills, and a sore back.

Tom

hmm sounds like just the ticket to do some chainsaw carving.  You'll be far enough back that the chips won't hit you and you won't get dirty. :D

Gordon

Phil, all joking aside be CAREFUL,,, a saw can get away from ya pretty darn quick if your not careful. Better to take it slow and have the same amount of fingers and toes at the end of the day. Also a heavy saw among other things will wear you down pretty quick just hossing it around.

Once your out in the woods for a few hours and start to get wore down, your judgement will also suffer. Keep that in mind as well. That is when injuries happen.

I know it goes without saying but chaps and a helmet are a great investment. DON'T leave the truck without them. After all they don't give you much protection on the truck seat.

Have fun with it ---take it slow till ya get the hang of it. My Husky's weigh half of what your saw weighs and it sure wears me out before it wears out. ;)

Gordon

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

Gordon,
Thanks for the words of wisdom regarding the big 090.

As you can imagine, I bought it to mill with.   Before I use the Alaskan mill on some pine yellow pine I have,  I plan to do some very careful cross cutting - just to break in the motor a little.   This big machine and I will get along much better with it in that frame.
Phil L.
Bi-VacAtional:  Piano tuner and sawyer.  (Use one to take a vacation from the other.) Have two Stihl 090s, one Stihl 075, Echo CS8000, Echo 346,  two Homely-ite 27AVs, Peterson 10" Swingblade Winch Production Frame, 36" and 54"Alaskan mills, and a sore back.

Thank You Sponsors!