iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

state lines

Started by GeorgeK, January 13, 2013, 12:08:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GeorgeK

I am in KY. I have someone that called me about Hickory from Ohio. He does not want it but also does not want it cut on his property. where can you find if it is ok to bring these logs across state lines. I know Ash trees you cannot but what about others? Thanks, George
George Kalbfleisch
Woodmizer LT40, twin blade edger, Bobcat A300, Kubota L48 and yes several logrites!

thecfarm

I would think the state forestry dept. All that must be on line.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ron Scott

Check with your State's Department of Agriculture for any species restrictions or quarantines.
~Ron

Al_Smith

It seems like for example with this EAB thing they have been quite vague about things .They restrict firewood but don't say much about lumber logs for some reason .It would seem to me evidently a moron that if firewood could contain some parasitic malady to other trees that lumber logs could also .

I was unsuccessfull on a Google search using the question .Perhaps using the wrong search parameters .

GeorgeK

I have written to the state to ask. I am sure the rules for firewood would also be lumber lags. But I cannot find a source to tell you for sure. I am only 30 miles to the Ohio river so many places are in two other states. I know, or at least I think I know, for Ash logs you must cut to boards first so no ash bore beetles.
George Kalbfleisch
Woodmizer LT40, twin blade edger, Bobcat A300, Kubota L48 and yes several logrites!

estiers

Quote from: Al_Smith on January 13, 2013, 01:42:11 PM
It seems like for example with this EAB thing they have been quite vague about things .They restrict firewood but don't say much about lumber logs for some reason .It would seem to me evidently a moron that if firewood could contain some parasitic malady to other trees that lumber logs could also .

The issue with EAB and firewood is that once wood is cut into firewood it becomes difficult and time prohibitive to determine if there is any ash in the pile.  One piece of ash bark can create a new infestation.  Because of this, all hardwood firewood is quarntined in EAB areas.

Ash logs are prohibited from leaving the quarantined area unless they meet deregulating measures (debarked plus a 1/2 in of sapwood, fumigated, etc.) or are sent to an approved mill during non flight season.  If you want more information, the people suggested by others in this post (State foresters or Departments of Agriculture) can answer these questions as well.
Erin Stiers
State Plant Health Director - Minnesota
United States Department of Agriculture

GeorgeK

I heard back from the state of KY today. No problems except ash trees! So hopefully I can get the wood home this weekend.
George Kalbfleisch

Thank You Sponsors!