iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I Quit !!!

Started by Magicman, December 27, 2012, 08:29:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Yup, I am hanging up the old sawblade for 2012.

Today I finished what should be my last job for the year in fine fashion.  After we laid the SYP by, the customer rounded the barn with two ERC logs about 7' long in his grapple.  The largest was about 30" and obviously a yard tree.  I told him that it had metal and reviewed with him that each blade was $25.  I also handed him the Wizard with no guarantees.

I took the slab off and thought well OK, maybe this side is clear.  I dropped the blade 1" for the second pass and zing, zing, and zing.  Yup, three nails.  The thought of nails is funny until you start paying and then it gets unfunny. We off loaded the log and did what coon hunters do to the fire before they call in the dogs and go home.

I haven't tallied yet, but 2012 was a good year.  Not as much as some previous years, but I really intended to scale back some.  :-\ There are 17 jobs on the schedule now, and I do not remember that I ever got the list down below 10 this year. I just scratch um and add um.....saw um and leave um.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

Almost sounds like there might be room for another service to move in?
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Chuck White

You stay a lot busier than I do Lynn.

You probably come close to claiming another 100,000bf!

I thought my year would be slim beings I saw from approx. 1 Apr through 31 Oct, but I managed to tally up just over 68K.

I had quite a few slow spells between jobs.

Now the LT40 sits in the garage with the shields and guards off, waiting for a health check-up!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

Trouble is I moved almost all of the others out, or rather they moved themselves out.  "Mizer-Lumber" had a very bad reputation in my area for being wavy and thick and thin.  The first couple of years really took some mind changing and building customer confidence was really a chore. 

The first year, I set up at our local Forest Ass'n quarterly field day and demonstrated to about 150 landowners, many of which became customers.  Since then, I have built up a very firm base of customers and repeat customers.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I'd quit too Magic if I were you. Start digging up some of those Mason jars you got buried on the farm, packed full of 100 dollar bills.  :D :D :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Delawhere Jack

Sounds like you need an apprentice.... (Hint-Hint!  ;D)

Magicman

Our Son, Marty is a very good sawhand.  He has sawed many times, and really looks forward to taking the business over, but for now, he has a real job and mouths to feed.   ;D

clww

I think it's going to take more than hitting three nails for you to "quit"! :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Migal

:) Three nails LOL I'd quit till next year too  8) Have a Happy and Prosperous New Year all! I'm just getting started and dang its over O'h well maybe next year  :new_year:
Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" LogRite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

paul case

You lucky smiley_devil  you!!!

I guess you know that the rest of us set up to saw at our own places probably will saw Friday, and Saturday( some may on Sunday) and on Monday and Maybe even on New years day(Tuesday). But not you. You just sawum and leaveum and now you have quitum!!!

Take a break well deserved break my friend.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

rmack

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on December 27, 2012, 09:08:47 PM
I'd quit too Magic if I were you. Start digging up some of those Mason jars you got buried on the farm, packed full of 100 dollar bills.  :D :D :D

There was a guy that lived across the street from a large sawmill in Merritt BC, there was a smoke pit outside the mill that was across the street from where he lived. well, he started burying mason jars full of pickles all over the front lawn... not long after that, maybe a month or two, the police came and collected him.

Magicman; congratulations on a good year! Mine was very prosperous as well... it allowed me to buy a Woodmizer. Hopefully this coming year will allow me to buy a log hauling truck. Hard as it may be, I think there are times when moving slow is the fastest way to go.  :new_year:
the foundation for a successful life is being able to recognize what to least expect the most... (anonymous)

Welder Bob
2012 LT40HDSD35 Yanmar Diesel Triple
1972 Patrick AR-5
Massey Ferguson GC2410TLB Diesel Triple
Belsaw Boat Anchor

Magicman

Quote from: rmack on December 28, 2012, 09:57:52 AMI think there are times when moving slow is the fastest way to go.

I like that.   smiley_thumbsup

sealark37

We had a hotdog roast and a big campfire here last weekend for the kids and grandkids.  It was getting late and the fire was down to embers.  I told the kids what coon hunters do before they call in the dogs.  They thought I was kidding, but I assured them that I was not fooling.  They thought it was a hoot, and I believe that they would have tried it if their Moms had not intervened.  I hope that everyone has a pleasant New Year, and a successful 2013.   Regards, Clark

Magicman

:D  I was wondering if there were any coon hunters in our midst.  I am not now but I have......

Shotgun

Quote from: Magicman on December 28, 2012, 04:06:06 PM
:D  I was wondering if there were any coon hunters in our midst.  I am not now but I have......

I have also, but am not hunting them now days.  I did it in Michigan in the worst of the Dutch elm disease days.  We had to be careful not to hunt on windy nights for fear of falling limbs.  Fun memories though.

Norm
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

We used to hunt Coons back in the '70s.
Things have changed a lot now. Smaller farms with busy highways around. No trespassing signs everywhere.
Kinda hard to find a good dog these days since the decline of hunting around here.
I miss it.

Do any of ya'll listen to Jerry Clower talking about coon hunting?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3H8B_aW3ZQ
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

Jerry grew up about 40 miles South of here and would often show up in one of the morning coffee drinking cafes.  He was a real hoot to listen to across the table with a cup of coffee.  Many times we exceeded our allotted coffee break time.   ;D

Thank You Sponsors!