iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Thoughts about R 14 tires on a compact tractor

Started by 21incher, March 18, 2024, 01:13:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

21incher

I have been thinking about replacing  my 2 smaller sub compact tractors with  something slightly  larger with a cab. Looking at possibly a Kioti CK 2620 or 3520 with a cab. Getting to old for the winter  cold and summer heat with all the bugs and ticks so thinking cab is the way to go. Went down  and test drove one and noticed there are several tire offerings.  The one I tried had R14 tires, and one next  to it had industrial tires, another ag tires, and turf could  be ordered.  Was told the R14 are a good choice for this area and use on lawns without  much damage.  The ground was damp and those R14 tires did not chew any of it up. Supposed to be better  in snow then the industrial tires also I was told. Just wondering if anyone has experience with the R14s on a smaller tractor about 4k pounds one way or the other. Just basically for moving wood and brush with a grapple, brush hog, and plowing snow. Was going to be another Kubota,  but they  have provided me and others with terrible warranty coverage on UTVs so I decided to look at the Kioti brand and boy am I impressed so far. Really like the 2 pedal drive over one rocker. Just looking for input on the tires and good or bad points about Kioti compacts. 
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Kodiakmac

I had to do a search to find out what an R14 tractor tire was.  If I was buying a compact tractor and doing both yard and bush work I'd be giving those tires serious consideration.  

I can't tell you anything about the two models you're looking at, but I have an RX7320 with a cab and loader I got new three years ago; it has about 600 hours on it.  I have had only one minor issue: an hydraulic fitting on one of the lines that runs over the fuel tank cracked and started leaking.  It was not covered by the 5 year warranty.  

I have a few comments about the tractor.  The cab is small.  There is very limited space for tools and grandchildren; and no space at all for a 120 lb moosehound.   ffcheesy  Also, I have some difficulty understanding the regeneration process for the Tier-4 engine. The terminology in the manual is confusing and the similarity of the dash lights for the various steps of the regeneration process don't help.  

But it's been a good tractor so far and I have no regrets.
Robin Hood had it just about right:  as long as a man has family, friends, deer and beer...he needs very little government!
Kioti rx7320, Wallenstein fx110 winch, Echo CS510, Stihl MS362cm, Stihl 051AV, Wallenstein wx980  Mark 8:36

scsmith42

I have R4 industrial tires on a Kioti DK65 and I've been pleased with them.  Good all-around traction, and they don't really rut up the yard.

I'd stay away from Ag tires if you're concerned about ruts, and my experience with turf tires is that they lack a lot of traction.

The new R14's look like they would offer less rutting than the older R4's, w/o much traction sacrifice.  I'd seriously consider them.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

21incher

The R14s looked to me like they took a turf tires and cut an ag pattern in it for better grip. Never saw them before but supposedly better then the R4s in snow.  They actually  are a little  narrower then the R4 industrial tires seeing them side by side. Maybe  someone has tried them in snow. 

I am actually  considering the 2620 also because it is the 40 hp engine derated to 25 hp without the regen or more complex injection schem. Supposed to be a simple adjustment  to bump it up to 35 hp by increasing fuel flow. That does cause warranty issues  though.  I found  the cab big enough for my fat butt and the seat they use is very comfortable. Reminds me of an older tractor with a lot of cast iron. Started watching some videos and so far people seem happy with the brand. The loader lift rating is really amazing for a compact. Almost twice the Kubota rating that I had looked at last year.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Nebraska

I have a similar sized compact tractor with R4 tires. I think they are a joke in snow compared to an Ag tire. Yes less marks in the turf if you use it in the yard. I bought a set of chains for the front tires then it kind of quit dumping significant snow this winter. So I guess it must've helped.    ffcheesy

Oliver05262

I bought a used New Holland  Boomer 40 tractor last summer, with low hours. It's got R4 tires on it and they suck for traction in snow, and not very good on grass. My first choice if I was buying new would be the Ag tires, but I think the R14 would be a decent compromise for all around use. Chains are the only real answer in snow, and I cut down a used set of double ring tractor chains to fit on the rear of my tractor. Traction is great, but I'm sure if I was trying to move a load of lumber,  the vibration would rattle it off the forks in a short distance. 
  I did not chain up the front, and probably will for next winter, but not too aggressively, just enough to help with steering.
Oliver Durand
"You can't do wrong by doing good"
It's OK to cry.
I never did say goodby to my invisible friend.
"I woke up still not dead again today" Willy
Don't use force-get a bigger hammer.

NE Woodburner

No experience with R14 tires, but they look very interesting. I have a 45 Hp Kioti with the R4 tires and I'm reasonably happy with them overall, but they are not good on snow and ice and I'd probably consider something different if I was shopping for another tractor. The Kioti tractor overall has been good for me.

My neighor has a small Kioti like you are considering. He has the turf tires and I was very skeptical about his ability to get around in the winter, but those tires work surprisingly well. He has a belly mower, loader and snowblower. He has had it for probably 5 or 6 years and does things with it that he probably shouldn't but it takes the abuse.

The only problem both of us had is the loader joystick gets sloppy due to screws loosening and we've both had to take ours apart and tighten things up. I need to do mine again as it's starting to get sloppy again. Annoying, but really not a big deal. 

beenthere

This video helped me sort out the differences a bit better. 

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

21incher

Quote from: beenthere on March 19, 2024, 12:51:45 PMThis video helped me sort out the differences a bit better.

Thanks  for the video. Looks like the R14 tires would be best for my use with a wet lower section,  the woods, and snow. Both current tractors have the turf tires and they fill up and slip in anything without the chains on.

Quote from: NE Woodburner on March 19, 2024, 09:06:31 AMNo experience with R14 tires, but they look very interesting. I have a 45 Hp Kioti with the R4 tires and I'm reasonably happy with them overall, but they are not good on snow and ice and I'd probably consider something different if I was shopping for another tractor. The Kioti tractor overall has been good for me.

My neighor has a small Kioti like you are considering. He has the turf tires and I was very skeptical about his ability to get around in the winter, but those tires work surprisingly well. He has a belly mower, loader and snowblower. He has had it for probably 5 or 6 years and does things with it that he probably shouldn't but it takes the abuse.

The only problem both of us had is the loader joystick gets sloppy due to screws loosening and we've both had to take ours apart and tighten things up. I need to do mine again as it's starting to get sloppy again. Annoying, but really not a big deal.
Thanks for that info. They had a 45 hp with a cab that was only about $1,700 more then the smaller frame 35 hp cab. There are some aggressive rebates on the higher hp models. I think it  was a new loader joystick this year with the 3rd function buttons already in place, the location was in perfect position with the armrest on the seat. I couldn't find anything I didn't like about it.  That lever in the back for adjusting the 3 point when hooking up an attachment is really nice along with the extendable arms. The R4 tires were wider but scare me the way they can slide sideways on a hillside. I think R14s will be my best choice.  Going  to look at a TYM next, but I don't  think their cab has AC on the smaller machines.

NE Woodburner

21 - any more progress on a tractor and tire selection?

I had the 3rd function valve added to my joystick and it is in the perfect position for me. It's a rocker switch with left - right and spring return to center position. I use it for my power angle plow and my grapple. Handy as a shirt pocket as I've heard said here on FF...

Turf tires are surprisingly good in snow, but they do load up in mud as you said. I would try the R14's over R4 if I was buying now. My R4's are OK most of the time, but not great. I had an old Ford with Ag tires and that was the best in the woods, but real rough on the lawn...

Sometimes I think a smaller tractor would be handy, but more often I find myself saying a little bigger would be better. My 45 Hp is good for me and has good lift capacity compared to other brands of similar size and Hp, but it would be nice to have even more lift capacity. Hp wise I can't say I've needed more for what I do.

21incher

Quote from: NE Woodburner on April 04, 2024, 01:35:51 PM21 - any more progress on a tractor and tire selection?

I had the 3rd function valve added to my joystick and it is in the perfect position for me. It's a rocker switch with left - right and spring return to center position. I use it for my power angle plow and my grapple. Handy as a shirt pocket as I've heard said here on FF...

Turf tires are surprisingly good in snow, but they do load up in mud as you said. I would try the R14's over R4 if I was buying now. My R4's are OK most of the time, but not great. I had an old Ford with Ag tires and that was the best in the woods, but real rough on the lawn...

Sometimes I think a smaller tractor would be handy, but more often I find myself saying a little bigger would be better. My 45 Hp is good for me and has good lift capacity compared to other brands of similar size and Hp, but it would be nice to have even more lift capacity. Hp wise I can't say I've needed more for what I do.
Not yet. On hold at this moment because I just blew 10k of the money I put aside for it. Had to pay to upgrade the sidekick Kubota just replaced to a diesel  model that was a big surprise, just ordered a 48 volt 100 ah Lithium battery upgrade for my wife's golf cart that won't charge up now, and the IRS got the rest because I messed up not thinking the self employment tax is added to affiliate money payments. 
Either I forget the cab at this point, go with used, my Deere 4100 sells, or wait a couple months.  Now that Kubota took care of the sidekick I am also considering a Kubota LX 2620 cab. They have 2 on order scheduled next month I'm waiting to look at. I want the R14 tires but not many on the lot or used ones  have them. Still impressed by the Kioti and the lift capacity for a 25 hp machine.  I also looked  at a Kubota L2502 that is pretty close to the Kioti and built with cast iron but no cab. I have read they are having major cold start issues though. I am hoping to have something by fall. I just read under  40 hp tractor sales are dropping so far this year and inventory is up so there may actually be some good rebates coming later this year. The TYM dealer down the road just got a bunch of cab models in I want to look at. Everyone is really stocked up with machines around here for the first time in years.

Bruno of NH

Tym has a model of big frame 25 hp tractors that lift 2,200 lbs
They also make that same tractor for Big Boy tractor just different paint , seat and lighting package. 
Worth a look.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

21incher

I just found that TYM bought Branson and is producing a line of 25 hp tractors with Yanmar engines now that are just rebranded Bransons. The prices of them are very reasonable but not sure how they stand up. I can't  believe how Deere prices have skyrocketed.  

trueg50

I've got a B2601 with R14's, I've run it for a few winters plowing and have started doing more woods work with it in the winter. The R14's have been great on the lawn when mowing and in the snow. I've driven it up logging woods in the hill on our property and it has done just fine in the 12" snow I've driven it in. Only issues have been when I try driving up hill while plowing with the backblade (and that was more running out of power than traction). The tractor handles hauling 64-80" logs via grapple just fine, and I'll hopefully be picking up a winch for it soon, and likely chains for dealing with the ice.

I used the tractor heavily around the house for fixing up the lawn/overgrowth (prior owner didn't do anything and barely mowed). Now as I do more woods work I think shifting to a bigger tractor would fit my needs better. Something like an L3560 LE is what I'm considering as a "some day" upgrade.

I'd definitely get some different pricing; the new LX models are a huge price increase over the prior models (at least looking at the Kubota site). I'd get a few quotes for the Grand L series, I think the pricing might not be too far off for a far more capable tractor.

Nebraska

I have a TYM dealer nearby and 1 35 hp tym built tractor. A couple friends have them and have had a good experience with them. 

Thank You Sponsors!