iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Why is the USA Flag at half mast in Daytona?

Started by Tom, February 18, 2007, 02:47:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

I just saw the flag at half mast behind the announcers at Daytona.  I haven't heard of a National hero being saluted by order of the President or Governor.  What's going on?

WH_Conley

Don't know Tom, looked like the rest of the American flags there were at full staff. Probably some camera crew decided it was in the way. >:(
Don't know why they would lower one and not the rest, if excutive order they all would have been lowered.
Bill

Radar67

Not sure myself, but could have something to do with President's Day weekend.

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Raphael

The flag's at full staff here at the VA.
Perhaps it's for someone in the racing world ???
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

Patty

Can't answer your question Tom, but that has never stopped me from posting before!  ;D     Here in Iowa they are lowering the flags to half mast everytime an Iowa soldier dies. It makes us more aware of their passing and the gratitude that we owe them.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

PawNature

I believe it has to with Dale senior....Although not abloultly positive
GOVERMENT HAS WAY TO MUCH CONTROL OVER OUR LIVES!!!!

Tom

I'm a little concerned that it's for ANS.  You never know what the Media and the Enterainment world can pull off.

I just hadn't  heard of a reason and it seems that it would have been reported if the thing was on National TV.

Fla._Deadheader

I do know that a very popular ex-driver- ex-champion and race announcer, died of Cancer about a month or so ago. Might have something to do with that, although, I don't think that would warrant an executive order ???

Where's Teri ???  She otter know ???  ::) ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

I doubt its for ms smith. I think you'd have a bunch of horrified Nascar fans if it was.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

PawNature

Jeff

I didnt want to say it out loud either. Thats why I said ms smith. As in Anna Nichole.

PawNature

Jayson

I saw one at half mast here in GA yesterday. Did Anna have Tip Top Poultry stock?

Jeff

Tom

Just what I'd expect of the Jack Daniels car, sliding across the finish line on fire, on its top, with the  driver hollering "Hey!, Watch this!"

I just knew that Martin was going to win it.  But even so, he was part of one of the most exciting race finishes I've seen in a long time.  Two thousandths of a second.  Man!   That's....... that's quicker'n puttin' out the llight!   :D

Chris Burchfield

Not 100% for sure, but, "TO THE PEOPLE OF THE UNITED STATES:

It is my sad duty to announce officially the death of Gerald R. Ford, the thirty-eighth President of the United States, on December 26, 2006.

President Ford was a great man who devoted the best years of his life to serving the United States of America. He was also a true gentleman who reflected the best in America's character. Before the world knew his name, he served with distinction in the United States Navy and the United States House of Representatives. As a congressman from Michigan, and then as Vice President, he commanded the respect and earned the goodwill of all who had the privilege of knowing him. On August 9, 1974, he stepped into the presidency without having ever sought the office.

During his time in office, the American people came to know President Ford as a man of complete integrity, who led our country with common sense and kind instincts. Americans will always admire Gerald Ford's unflinching performance of duty, the honorable conduct of his Administration, and the great rectitude of the man himself. We mourn the loss of such a leader, and our thirty-eighth President will always have a special place in our Nation's memory.

President Ford lived 93 years, and his life was a blessing to America. Now this fine man will be taken to his rest by a family that will love him always and by a Nation that will be grateful to him forever.

NOW, THEREFORE, I, GEORGE W. BUSH, President of the United States of America, by the authority vested in me by the Constitution and laws of the United States, in honor and tribute to the memory of Gerald R. Ford, and as an expression of public sorrow, do hereby direct that the flag of the United States be displayed at half-staff at the White House and on all buildings, grounds, and Naval vessels of the United States for a period of 30 days from the day of his death. I also direct that for the same length of time, the representatives of the United States in foreign countries shall make similar arrangements for the display of the flag at half-staff over their Embassies, Legations, and other facilities abroad, including all military facilities and stations.

I hereby order that suitable honors be rendered by units of the Armed Forces under orders of the Secretary of Defense.

In a further expression of our national grief, I will appoint in a subsequent proclamation a National Day of Mourning throughout the United States when the American people may assemble in their respective places of worship, there to pay homage to the memory of President Ford.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this twenty seventh day of December, in the year of our Lord two thousand six, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and thirty-first.

GEORGE W. BUSH"
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

Burlkraft

It's too bad Mark Martin didn't win.....He spent his whole career drivin' and had never won Daytona.. :-\ :-\ :-\

Now with a Bowtie on da hood he got really...really close.... ;D  ;D  ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Tom

That was really, really, really, really close.

The honoring of President Ford ended on Jan. 25.
It must've been something else.

Mooseherder

Me thinks one of da guys racing with an Orange Car took alot of anger management courses in the off-season. :D

Tom

Yeah, and it's just like Caterpillar to take short cuts.  what do they need roads for?  Lets just do 155 down pit road and take out the field on the other end.   :D :D  Man!  What excitement.

Ron Wenrich

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Tom

I think the orange car belonged to Home Despot, Ron.  They Broke it.  :D

Mooseherder

I don't dislike Harvick, (I do like Childress) but the DanG Gas company Shell won their First race outta the gate.  Whomever signed that deal at Shell is feeling purty good about it right now.

scsmith42

Man, what a race!

Re the flag, I've noticed that some places are at half mast, and others are at full mast.

Personally, I think that the ones at half mast forgot to raise it after the 30 day honorarium for President Ford was over.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Thank You Sponsors!