iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

mind if I gloat?

Started by AtLast, May 05, 2003, 06:00:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AtLast

;D Ok...so...I took the plundge...JUST picked a bran spankin new Sthil MS 440 with 28" bar....WOW what a machine...has the 91 chain..VERY aggressive...but LOVE IT!!!...ok...Im done... 8)

jokers

Congratulations AtLast! For a Stihl the 440 is a pretty good saw, LOL. Just kidding, the 440 is a great saw. So what is the 91 chain? The only 91 that I`m familiar with is Oregon 3/8 Lo Pro which is too wimpy for a 440.

Russ

AtLast

Thats the chain that came onit...3/8" ...91......I use this saw to cut the ends off butt logs that are either to messy to use or to tapered to bother with...I know there are alot of variables...but hey...its what came with it... :D

Kevin

That's a low profile chain for a 35cc saw.  :D

Dennis

I use 91r on my 2095 Jonsered for milling...low profile= less waste.

You will find that swapping out to regular 3/8 on your next chain will allow you to cut faster.

You will find that you will enjoy your 440 for a long time to come with the proper maintenance.  Congrats!!!
Just Log It.

OneWithWood

Congrats AtLast!  The MS440 is a GREAT saw.
I bought one a few months back to complement my trusty old 038.  I hardly fire up the 038 anymore because the 440 is more powerful and lighter.  Two unbeatable features 8)
You are going to enjoy your new saw, for sure  ;)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

woodbeard

I think 91 is the drive link count for a 28" bar

Kevin

I believe the standard is 92 or 93 drivers for 28" with a 7 rim sprocket.

woodbeard

Mine has 91 ( 046/ 28"bar ) The Stihl bars have the link count printed with a little drive link heiroglyph. I think that is what AtLast is seeing?

johncinquo

Gloat if you can, but you won't over shadow my glow!   I just took delivery of a new/used Stihl 046, and will be recieving shortly a 066 sometime next week.  Ugh ugh uuuuughhhhhhhh!   Power to spare and can't wait to make em roar.  
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

AtLast

Kevin

I just dug out my 28"Stihl Rollomatic and it is stamped as 91 drivers.
The Oregon bars may be a little longer, anyone have a 28"Oregon bar?

ranger

We have run some 28" Oregon bars and they seam to be a bit narrower from top to bottom than stihl bars. On the 28" Chains Stihl uses 91 drivers and Husky 93.

Matt ;)

Kevin

Dennis

I noticed sometime last year that Husky started saying that the 28" bars need 93 drivers....for years they used 92...I still make my loops at 92 so when the Oregon chain stretches I am not removing drivers.  92dl fits just fine.  The Oregon book still says 92 as well.

Stihls have always used 91dl on their 28" bars...

Back to Atlast....I thought it was a bit odd for the dealer to put low pro on the saw...but "there are strange things done in the midnight sun..."
Just Log It.

Thank You Sponsors!