iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husqvarna 3120

Started by ChadH, July 29, 2016, 02:10:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChadH

Hey guys,

Haven't been on here for awhile, been super busy with full time work, saw milling on the side and July 8 me and the misses had a baby girl, well she had the baby, I was there. Just to clear up who. So lots of excitement.

Question for the chainsaw gurus.

I came across a husqvarna 3120 xp

After searching the serial number, 6080031

I determined it was a
1996 built in the 8th week and was the 31st saw built that year.
Hope I am right, correct me if I'm not.

It has a brand new Oregon 42" bar and chain on it, never cut with.
The saw shows its 20 years old, a small crack in the plastics air cover, and faded out plastic. Scratches etc. Apparently it was used for awhile and then sat in a garage for life t of its life.

It has also had a new spark plug and spark plug wire put on.

I'm at $900 and it's mine, wondering if that's a good price or not. I'm in Canada, and they are very rare around here to.

Before you say, why would you ever need a saw that big. Well I want to strap it to my Alaskan mill and be able to mill 48" logs or bigger (will buy bigger bars as I need to) and I currently have a 25' by 58" Douglas fir log sitting on my yard that I can't move or mill on my Woodmizer, so I'll need to quarter it. I might use the gun powder trick, stilling thinking about it.

Anyway I know it's old but a new one with that bar and chain here would put me at $2500 and I don't think I will use it that often to justify loosing $2500.

Thanks guys!
Chad H
Westcoast Custom Timber

Wood-Mizer LT35 Hydraulic sawmill
Stihl 090 X2 in running order
Stihl 460 36" bar
Husqvarna 345 18" bar
Granberg Alaskan sawmill

teakwood

I dont know about the husky but i had a 088. Bought it in 2003 new for 1000$ (stihl had priced them wrong the first years in costa rica, know they are 1900$) and sold it in 2016 for 600$. i used it often with an alaskan mill or to cut blackwood into fence posts. althought i dont think that my saw had more than 350h of use, havent used her alot after i bought a woodmizer
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

celliott

Ill ask anyways- why do you need a 3120 if you already have two working stihl 090's?
Hard to imagine a 3120 would do anything an 090 could not.

I guess the 3120 has all parts still available, Although not cheap. Probably has better antivibe.

900 is probably an ok price but not a screaming deal IMO.

I'd strap those two 090's to a 72" double ended bar :)
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

ChadH

the problem with the 090's is that they are pre anti vibe, they hurt after using, and parts are becoming hard to find, very hard. they belonged to my grandfather when he logged, when men were men. I hope to restore them and put them up on the wall as collectables. they are also a pig to start compared to newer saws. I had thought about it, but after cutting thru some trees with the 090's they would be best to remain in history.

Power wise they produce more power then the 3120.
Chad H
Westcoast Custom Timber

Wood-Mizer LT35 Hydraulic sawmill
Stihl 090 X2 in running order
Stihl 460 36" bar
Husqvarna 345 18" bar
Granberg Alaskan sawmill

mad murdock

I think 900 CN is a decent price.  Happy sawing.  I hope you get some pics of the big DF slabs as they come off.
8)
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Greyhound

Quote from: mad murdock on July 29, 2016, 06:06:11 PM
I think 900 CN is a decent price.  Happy sawing.  I hope you get some pics of the big DF slabs as they come off.
8)
I agree.  Go for it.  The price is very fair given the exchange rate these days  If you decide to resell it, you'll likely get your money back +/- a few CDN$.  Man law requires pictures of big slabs for us to drool over.

Thank You Sponsors!