iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A new portable bandmill - Pre 1920.....

Started by Jeff, May 14, 2003, 08:07:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Horizontal Double-cutting Portable Band Saw with a traveling Saw Frame.

From
LUMBER
Ralph Clement Bryant 1922

Self-contained Band Mill-
A type of self-contained band portable band mill which was placed on the market a few years ago is shown in figure 65 (above) This mill differs from the usual types in that the log remains immovable on the log-bed while the saw equipment travels back and forth during the sawing operation.
The machine is of the horizontal band type, with 4 foot wheels. The mill is driven by a 25 horsepower steam engine mounted on the framework, steam being supplied from a 50 horsepower stationary boiler, through flexible pipe couplings. The saw cut is made from the upper side of the log, the thickness of the cut being regulated by raising or lowering the sawing apparatus by means of pinions which mesh into racks on four supporting posts. The feed is of the rack and pinion type, power being furnished by a 5 horsepower engine mounted on the framework. The saws are 19 gauge, 7 inches wide, and double toothed, being designed to cut both on the forward and rear travel of the carriage.

Stock mills having a 28-foot log bed will handle logs a maximum diameter of 44 iches, and a maximum length of 20 feet. the rated capacity of the mill is from 1000 to 1500 board feet per hour. This mill is offered as a substitute for portable circular mills on the basis that it will saw lumber of any thickness from veneers to timbers with a minimum waste of raw material and can be set up more readily then other small ones because the entire equipment is mounted on a truck of special design which can be quickly moved from one point to another.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

DanG

Hmmmph! It's a wonder those things never caught on. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

dail_h

Shoooooeeeeeeee!!!!and a steam rig to boot.Man I'd like to find one of them in an old barn somewhere.That'ud be funner than all git out
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Nate Surveyor

I remember one of the 1st mills I ever saw, was a gang saw, that had maybe 5 or 10 saws, that looked like the old hand cross cut saws, and they moved up and down, sawing out lumber, from logs. I was maybe 8 yrs old, and was facinated by it.
Nate
I know less than I used to.

Okrafarmer

I once worked in a mill that had a high performance gang saw, with about 36 or 38 blades-- it could reduce a 36" log into 1" material in one pass.

Jeff-- do you know when portable band mills became common place?
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Apple farmer

Logosol LM Pro MX34 w/E-Twin, PH360, Husky 346XPG, Sthil 026, Sthil 180E, Valtra 6850 w/ÅLØ FEL, Igland 4001, Ford 6600, Volvo "Buster", V70, Pajero

Nate Surveyor

Wow. That logosol was alot like the one I saw as a kid!
I wonder, how big of a log it can take, and I wonder, how it handles logs with tension in them....
I'm facinated by all things mechanical!

Nate
I know less than I used to.

Logosol Steve

Hi Nate,

We sell the frame saw in two sizes. The 330 can take a log that is 7" in height and 13" in width. The 500 can take a 10" height and 20"wide. Both are operated by a 23hp engine(electric also available). You can have the blades spaced as you wish.

Thanks

Steve

Thank You Sponsors!