iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

dont you think you guys need to be shaken up abit?

Started by babylogger, September 29, 2004, 08:42:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

babylogger

geesze i want some stories here guys!!!!!! lol ahh sorry just thought id try for some fun! :D
love logger

Jeff

Well, I got to the Mill at 5:30 and hit a 20 penny nail by 8:00 By golly how much more excitment can ya stand? 8)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Bro. Noble

Talk about excitement,

I was bringing the cows in this evening for our nightly session.  They were coming down a steep hill and I was crossing through the middle of the herd to go up after some stragglers.  The cow above me was in heat and the bull appeared out of nowhere and tried to mount her on that hillside.  She started sliding down the hill with him on top.  Only by inches did I miss being involved in a 'love triangle' :o ::)
milking and logging and sawing and milking

babylogger

well we havent worked this week but i sympathize with you because about every 40 ft we find a tree that has climbing spikes up it and they were def gorgeous veneer hard maple..ya gotta laugh tho the people we are logging on are truley terrific people to work for! maybe im a softie but i guess youd just have to be here and know them so a few veneers is no problem. its life and logging what are ya gonna do but chuckle?
love logger

babylogger

love logger

Arthur

conversing with our welder today about how humid it was and ended up rushing to turn all the power off due to a drenching. 350mm for the year then 10mm in 5 minutes.

Half the factory opens up to the yard as the weather here is pleasant all year.

The 50mm flood we had at least cleaned the floor for us. ;D

TN_man

My wife went down to a 100 yr old cabin that we have on our property that we just use to store things in right now, to get some winter clothes out (it is starting to get chilly at night here). She opens a box up and there on top of the stack of clothes is a snake. Of course she comes running out of there high-stepping it and screaming with her hands covering her face. Guess who had to go back in there to get it out? :D Well, I went in there and closed the box back up and carried it out, while I could hear that thing slithering around in there. I dumped the box out on the ground and out from under the clothes came this snake (I don't know what kind, I'm not a snake expert nor care to be) that was as big around as my wife's arm and after I killed it and held it up, was almost as long as I am tall (6 ft.). :o
There is my story for the day, Jeff
P.S. It at least shook my wife up a bit!
WM LT-20 solar-kiln Case 885 4x4 w/ front end loader  80 acre farm  little time or money

Jeff

QuoteThere is my story for the day, Jeff

I think I'll stick to my brand of excitement thank you very much.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

OneWithWood

Yesterday I was heading down a slope in the crawler with a load of scrap limestone for a stream crossing when almost to the bottom, on the steepest part of the slope, I hear a bang and the left tread proceeded down slope ahead of me :o :o
DanG, DanG, DanG busted another old pin >:(
Of course it was just about quitin time and the sun was setting fast.  Hoofed it back to the house and got the tractor which has a winch on the front.  I have had way too much practice with this sort of thing.  Had the track back on and the crawler back to the workshop before dark 8)
I guess today's agenda has changed to practicing my welding skills again ::)
Just can't spare the coin for replacement tracks. :-/
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Timber_Framer

:D TN_man When I still lived in Texas I found my father-in-law half unconscious in the tack room, when I questioned him he said that he had reached up on the shelf to grab a curry comb and instead grabbed a coiled snake. Upon further inspection I found a big bull snake behind some old harnesses. Bull snakes are harmless, that is until you think their rattlers and try to get away at a high rate of speed and run smack into the door jam on the tack room! In that case they're a lot more dangerous than diamond backs. ;D
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

babylogger

:o ok im content with being bored snakes i can DEFINATELY do without omg id die!!! but thanks for the excitement lol!
love logger

DanG

There's only 2 kinds of snakes...them that'll hurt ya, and them that'll make ya hurt yerself! :D :D

TN_man, the same sort of thing happened to my ex-wife before she became the ex. ;D   I was working the evening shift, and got home about 1am. Of course, she was already snoring away, so I quietly dropped my clothes in the corner and went to bed. Next morning I was out working on something when I heard her screaming. She came flying out the door making the wildest gestures I've ever seen.  She had picked up my yesterday clothes and a 30" oak snake fell out of my shirt! We weren't getting along all that well, at the time, and she just KNEW I had planted the snake there to try to scare her to death. That didn't seem like such a bad idea, about then, but I didn't think of it till it happened by accident. :D :D

I learned, several years later, that the snake was a pet that my daughter was secretly keeping for a friend who was out of town on vacation. The snake had been missing for several days, and all sorts of sneaky household searches had been taking place. :D :D :D :D

I took the snake out and tossed him into the woods rather than killing him. I had come to think of him as a friend. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Murf

My missus isn't too keen on snakes either, mind you was born & raised in South Africa where you have good reason to be afraid of them.

My Jack Russell has a real hate on for them, I guess he figures killing rodents is his job and he doesn't want the competition. The little lady likes that, she's less impressed when he brings her a 'trophy' to show her what a good hunter he is.  :D
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

crtreedude

Jeff, I think you should have a special section for snake stories. Then you can avoid it!

When I was a kid, we would visit Missouri and I would go snake hunting. My mom would never empty my suitcase when we came back, I would always have a couple of snakes in there, and I didn't keep anything less than 4 feet long!

Black snakes were always mean, but bull snakes were tame almost the minute you touched them.

Also as a kid I had a 3 foot iguana that I caught loose in the lawn, in Rochester NY! I asked around, but no one would admit to it being their pet.

Recently we were eating at a restaurant and there iguanas everywhere, in the river, in the restaurant - and some of them were about 6 feet long. Very neat.
So, how did I end up here anyway?

Engineer

Iguanas are supposed to be a major carrier of salmonella.  If the food don't kill ya, the decorations will.   :(

I'd never set foot in that particular excuse for a restaurant again, if I were you.  I don't like ANY restaurant with live animals in it, unless they're intentionally part of the menu - lobster tanks come to mind.

crtreedude

Well, the iguanas were eating at the other end of the salad bar, so it should be okay.  ::)

Not sure how to exclude them, no windows, no doors, not much there except post and roof.

Besides, we weren't kissing them!  ;D Besides, they are not pets, they are wild, they just happen to be in the area.  

I will admit, you get a little unconcerned about things like that when you live in a third world country. Now, if I saw the iguana cooking the gallo pinto, well, that would be another story - and then again, maybe not.

By the way, life expectancy in Costa Rica is higher than in USA.

karl

...."life expectancy is higher in Costa Rica....."
Is that for Iguanas or people? :D
"I ask for wisdom and strength, Not to be superior to my brothers, but to be able to fight my greatest enemy, myself"  - from Ojibwa Prayer.

crtreedude

Not for the iquanas, they taste like chicken...

Given I live only about 40 kilometers from an active volcano, you now know how sane I am.  :D

Actually, Arenal is very calm, it really erupted about 30+ years ago, but every since then it has been just a little bit everyday, with about 2 bigger eruptions inbetween.

According to the volcanologist, Arenal is quite safe, unless of course you try to climb the slopes, red hot rocks the size of a car would be very bad for you health.

For those who are curious, here are some pictures - see Jeff, I promised news reports. Jeff, if you come down, I will pay for you to get into the hot springs - no iguanas or snakes in there.

http://www.fincaleola.com/arenal_volcano.htm

From Fred,

Your crazy Costa Rican Reporter

Corley5

Welded on a broadcast spreader at work and washed one of the tractors.  Picked a wagon load of punkins when I got home.  No snakes ;)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Stan

Parkfield, CA generally has at least one earthquake a week. Not many of them ever get up to the 6.0 that everyone was talking about this week. I'll bet that got the cafe cat's attention. When he sits up from his nap, the locals all pay attention to the amount of giggle in their coffee cups.  ;)
Are ya shook up enough yet?
I may have been born on a turnip truck, but I didn't just fall off.

Furby

With the help of my 70 year old Great Uncle, I poured 10 yards of concrete in the basement. At least he knew what he was doing. ::)
I'm thinking I have an extra charge coming on the bill though, it took a "bit" longer to pour then planned. :-/

Engineer

Fred,

I didn't realize until I read your response that you were in Costa Rica.  I guess you can't do much about the wild iguanas down there, and I'm sure there are a lot more dangerous things to be worried about.

I don't think local health departments here in the States would allow for any restaurant to have iguanas in the place, pets or not.

Jon

crtreedude

:D Yeah, I didn't think so. It's amazing what kind of loons Jeff will let on this site, eh?

I am not sure we even have a local heath department!  :D

Of course, since most everything is bought fresh, there isn't a big problem. We also are raising our own cattle, tilipia, chickens, pigs, etc. Of course oranges are free, and so are avocados when you have 164 acres of farm / plantation.

Lots of strange fruits too, many of them really nice. Pineapple is almost sinfully cheap, the last one I bought (white variety) was 75 cents. Mangos go for about 1 dollar for 5 or 6.  Sugarbaby style watermelons are a buck.

We just bought about 6 large bags of fruits and vegetables, I think the total cost was under 30 dollars.  8)

Of course the best thing is that tomatoes are in season all year!

A person I have been wanting to meet dropped by this week. He has a farm up around one of the national parks. He says he has seen Jaguar tracks only 20 minutes way from his house before. I want to see the tracks, I don't want to see the cat!  :(

They say though a Tapir is more dangerous - don't want to see one of them either, except from up in a tree.  ;D

Fla._Deadheader

On one of my trips to CR, we topped a hill and there were about a dozen Tico's chasing a Green Lizard (Iguana)? down the street, with Machetes. Supposed to be the best tasting  :D We watched for 10 minutes and the Lizard won  ;) :D :D :D

I heard that the wild pigs in CR are the worst thing to worry about. They are MEEEEN. ;D ;D ;D

Never saw a snake outside a cage, yet.

One of our resident Bobcats came through the yard 2 days ago. We live in a very populated area, but, the cats have been here since we moved here in '92. Don't have much use for domestic cats, but, them Bob's is neat. ;D ;D

Fred, get the Peterson ordered yet ??? ;D ;D ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Wudman

Back to snake stories.......When I was a kid, we still used "stick barns" to cure tobacco.  One day we were filling one of the barns on my Dad's farm.  It takes two men up in the barn to hang the tobacco.  I was on the first tier pole and one of our employees, Griffin, was above me hanging the top of the barn.  He went to climb up to hang the top tier when he laid his hand on a large black snake stretched out down the length of the pole.  Now Griffin and snakes didn't make a good match to start with.  The fact that he was 20 feet off the ground and in partial darkness didn't help....but I don't think I would have jumped.  He landed on one of the burner covers and mashed it flat.  Physically he was fine.  Needless to say, I had to recruit another helper to finish hanging that barn.

Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

Thank You Sponsors!