iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ideas for Log Buildings, Windows, Doors, etc.

Started by Mark M, April 22, 2003, 09:28:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark M

I am hoping someday to build a chalet-style log house similar to those found in the Switzerland/Germany/Austria. I've taken some pictures for ideas when I get around to building it.

These buildings are from throughout Austria and some of the buildings are over 500 years old. There's a lot to be said for a big overhang on the roof.

Mark

Lots More Pictures Here

IndyIan

Nice pictures Mark!
Those chalets are quite a structure.  Is there a "barn" section at the back of some of them?  I was in switzerland with my family when I was in highschool and quite often we would see a huge(80'by 80' 3 levels) chalet with no obvious barn structure around.  We wondered if people still had animals under the same roof?

In the fence picture, is there any nails or wire?  I guess if the "posts" were driven into the ground a bit the fence wouldn't sag.  I do find fencing systems that don't require metal or posts interesting.  ;D

In my area the settlers split cedar trees and put the fences on rocks piled around the edges of the fields in a zig zag pattern.  Many of them are over 150 years old and look like they will last for another 150.  Here's a pic I found on the net.

Tom

Split Rail fences made from "Fat Lighter" pine were common years ago in the South but are a novelty now as wire has replaced them.

Mark M

Hi Indy

Most of these buildings do include barns. We did see a number of buildings that do appear to include barns, but the only ones we visited were at this museum. I don't remember seeing nails in the fences but I could be mistaken. Next time I go I will look closer and also try to get some more details on the joinery. At the time I didn't have my mill and never really considered building a log building myself.

I like the split rail fences too.

Mark

IndyIan

Hey Mark,
I just got a spring Lee Valley catalogue and they have a new book out on traditional Scandinavian log building techniques.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.asp?page=47729&category=51&abspage=1&ccurrency=1&SID=

Also there is a book on german log building.
 http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.asp?page=20131&category=1,41131&ccurrency=1&SID=

Might give you some ideas on what you want to do.

Ian

Mark M

Thanks Indy, I am going to order goth books.

Mark

Bro. Noble

Indy,

I think what Mark meant to say was BOTH gooks! :)

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

ohsoloco

I thought Mark was going to dye his hair and beard black  :D

Mark M

Ya dat's what I want - 2 gooks, and I don't care what color their hair is  ;)

IndyIan

goth gook eh?  :D  Is that a log building style? :)

Bro. Noble

Indy,

I think goth gook is some of that crud that Yankees eat and claim it's good.

Noble

Mark M

Hi Noble,

My dad used to like cheese curds. The rest of us called them cheese turds because we didn't like them that much. Is that the same thing as goth gook?

Speaking of Yankees, I think my grandpa was born in Springfield Mo. (if there is such a place?, I can't remember for sure). As far as I know he was a Yankee, so is Springfield in northern Mo? or was it just a state of mind?

Mark

Bro. Noble

Oh Mark!

Wrong, Wrong,Wrong.

Cheese curds are really good,  but a little salty.  Ya gotta have something to drink with them-----V8 juice is good  ;D

I think goth gook must be made out of innards ::)

Springfield Mo is the "Queen City of the Ozarks"  It is in Southwest Mo and the site of what some say was the most important battle of the Civil War.

Noble

ohsoloco

Noble, if goth gook was made of innards I would've eaten it before...and said it was DanG good  :D

Bro. Noble

Hey Ohsoloco,

That's what I've been implying all along,  just didn't want to mention your name and embarress you.  And here you up and anmit it :D :D :D

Noble

Thank You Sponsors!