iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

portable gas winch

Started by Quebecnewf, January 15, 2007, 03:28:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quebecnewf

Has anyone tried out one of those capstan style winches put out by Novajack. If so what were your thoughts. I have ordered one and will be putting it to the rest next week (weather allowing)
I will be using this winch to skid small to med logs (spruce and fir) to my logging path and then hauling them out of the woods by skidoo. I think this will be a big help. The hardest work that I find is getting the logs to the path. Getting older and feel its time to use motors not arm power. Arm power is getting weaker with age.

Any thoughts anyone

Quebecnewf

farmerdoug

That is an good idea.  I have never tried one so I am no help.  Let us know how it works and what size logs it will pull safly.

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

leweee

I think Kevin has tried one. ;D He should be bye shortly. :)
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Kevin

Yes, I do have one.
You want to use a 3/8 static rope with it.
The more turns the more friction the less you'll have to pull on the running end.
You won't get as many turns with a 1/2" rope.
Give it one tank to break in.
I've used it to skid logs and pull down hung up trees.
I think the drum could use a modification.
There's more pull required on the running end than I expected but it works.

Quebecnewf

Kevin

I will be using to pull generally small logs in the winter. I generally cut a main trail for my ski doo down through the woods and then harvest trees on each side pulling them to the trail by hand. Hard work even with small logs. I think this device will make things go easier plus I will be able to go out further on each side of the main trail which I could not do before. What I found was when you were falling logs it never seemed that they were very far from the trail then in the afternoon when you were tired of falling and it was time to move the logs to the trail it seemed as if they had moved further away than you first thought. Plus this winch will let me go in and grab those big standing alone spruce that before were to far away and too much work to clear up a trail for one tree.
I will have the unit on the weekend and should put it to the test next week.

Will I have to go its -23C here this morning and the seaice bridge leading accross to the mainland should be safe to cross on. Axe in hand and check ice every 10 or 12 steps. My skidoo is over on the mainland(by boat earlier) so will walk accros and get it and go on in the woods from there. Going to be cold to get started this morning.

Quebecnewf

snowman

You pull logs to the trail by hand?Your getting to old for that now?Good lord,they grow em tough up  :othere.

beenthere

I've seen them demo'd and given serious thought about buying one (either with the attached engine or one that attaches to a chainsaw head in place of a bar). Seemed to work well for providing the grunt work of pulling more than one can pull by hand.

I wonder how the rope grabs the capstan when in snow conditions. Does it work ok or just slip causing some heat, then melting of the snow to get ice.  They are designed to slip, so wondered ::) ???
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Coon

Quote from: snowman on January 16, 2007, 07:23:42 AM
You pull logs to the trail by hand?Your getting to old for that now?Good lord,they grow em tough up  :othere.

Yup and it's no wonder why I got such a bad back.  A guys just gotta get things done the hard way sometimes. ;)
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Kevin

You would be better off with Amsteel Blue or similar in wet conditions.
Soon as you release the tension on the running end it stops pulling.
Don't forget you can use a mechanical advantage to double the load pull to 5000lbs.

grassfed

I have had one for a little over a year. I like it and I think that it would be ideal with a snowmobile. I use the 1/2 inch line and have not had any problems with it slipping with three turns on the capstan. In fact if your load is too heavy or snagged it is pretty easy to stall the motor. I would be interested to try the 3/8 though it may well give better performance. The skidding cone helps allot in preventing hang-ups and a snatch block placed 5 or six feet up in a tree gives you a good high pulling point.

The one thing that I have noticed its that you have to be careful when you first take a strain. The winch floats between the anchor point and the load and if you aren't paying attention it can twist and the line can get bound under your last turn. This is a little scary because if this happens you cannot release the load. You have to shut her down ASAP and work her loose. The way to avoid this is to take two turns and pass the line under the hook (this is the hook that is on the side above the capstan and helps the winch float upright) pull out the slack and let the winch self-align. Then when it has a strain and is slipping on the capstan take one more turn and heave away.

I use it in snow all the time and have no problems. The line is wet and icy most of the time when I use the winch.

One small complaint I have is that I do not like the throttle control ,the petcock or, the choke.
If I haven't used the winch in awhile I can't remember which way is on or off on those controls. I think the choke has a picture of a choke butterfly on one side but the butterfly is in the open position and that is supposed to mean that the carb is choked...I think...anyway the other controls confuse me as well. I just got used to the bunny and turtle thing on the lawn mower and now they throw this at me...  :D BTW I looked at your gallery and saw your sleds. Can you post some detail pics that show how you built them. I want to make one for my self.
Mike

Kevin

When you start it be sure to shut it down before putting a rope on it.
When I got mine the kill switch didn't work and had to be rewired.
It's ok now.

Quebecnewf

Grassfed

It seems you are using your winch in the same manner I am planning to use mine. I plan on using 3/8 Polysteel rope which is just a fancy name for a type of twisted fishing rope. It is strong and is used in this region by fishermen to haul crab pots It should do the job. Didn't buy the skidding cone going to try to make one out of a plactic barrel. We'll see on that.

My sleds are made from steel and wood with 4" wide plastic shoes.The cross bunk is made of 2 pcs of angle iron weilded back to back. Then a short ps of angle iron weilded lenghh ways on each end with holes through to bolt the wooden runner to. The runners are a pattern of my own and were arrived at after several different models. Each sled has a tow bar back one connected to the front sleigh and front one hitched to the snowmobile(made locally) and the sleds are the same width as the skis on my VK540 snowmobile. I have used this rig to tow thousands of logs over the last 12 to 13 years.
Hope this helps sorry I don't have any pictures right now and daughter seems to have laid claim to the dig camera.

Quebecnewf

Quebecnewf

Grassfed

Well my winch arrived a few minutes ago in the mail. Not to bad ordered Monday from Quebec City and arrived here in Harrington Today Wed. Well be trying it it out when the weather gets a bit warmer. How big are the logs you cut aand what type ,how far do you skid with the winch So many questions

Saw your gallery is that machine a Bombi and how does it go in the woods

Quebecnewf

grassfed

Quebecnewf

When I ordered my winch the guy that demonstrates the winch on the DVD Met me just over the border in Standstead so I saved on shipping (I live 10 mi South of Stanstead).

As far as log size type, a 10-12"top 16 foot fir or spruce would be typical, maybe 10-12" top 12 foot Sugar Maple depends on the path. The first thing that will stop you is hang ups or frozen to the ground logs. Like I said the cone helps a lot. Maybe you could cut some taper on the small end if you have problems. Watch the DVD it shows some big sugar maples bieng skid.

QuoteSaw your gallery is that machine a Bombi and how does it go in the woods

It is a SW48 see the "Tracked skidders, again" thread below

Mike

LedlieLogs

Just going to chime in fellows. I went with the Lewis Winch for the pulling capacity, 4000 lbs. single line load. Of course limited by the cable length, however the main draw back is the weight. With the cable and 660 saw it is quite the load to lug into the woods. Weight alone is a good reason to look at the capstan. On the good side, I routinely pull 20" 16 foot loblolly pine to the trail. I use a lot of snath blocks to help control the winch floating, just one block 5 or 6 feet in front of the winch with light to moderate pressure will work wonders on control. Keep us posted on how it goes.
Good luck and happy winching.
Wildlife Action, GA. A great place for kids. No lights, no phone, no motorcars, not a single luxury. Just the GREAT OUTDOORS and the reason I am learning to mill and build small log cabins.

Blue Sky

I hope you guys are havin' "fun" playing with these novelties.  My radio TIR yanks trees 24' dia. 16' lengths, like all day long.  Coupled with the use of wire snatch blocks to re-direct pulling power, I can work out to 350' from one location. The Lewis Winch looks dangerous.  An elder around here got himself hurt pretty good with one of these things.(Sorry, it was a tractor mounted winch.  My mistake)

Quebecnewf

Used my winch all last winter great tool best money I spent. I posted a few pics in my gallery and on a page called Lumberjocks. 

check them out

Quebecnewf

beenthere

Quebecnewf
Glad to see you are back...I was thinkin of you just yesterday, and wonderin how you were getting along with all the wood you decked last year.  :) :) :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Quebecnewf

Been busy all summer it seems . Sawed very little maybe 400 logs all told so far. Hoping to go in again and saw on the weekend. I have posted a few new pics on a blog on lumberjocks. Not to speak bad of this site which i think is great but the pics you can post here seem to be too small to see things well. IMHO.

I have been using my winch to lift rocks into a crib I am building to act as a base for my new workshop.

Learning to use Sketchup and using that to model my shop layout . Great program.

Quebecnewf

Thank You Sponsors!