iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husky 357xp vs 359 vs MS361

Started by Night Raider, January 27, 2008, 12:14:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Night Raider

Back to the old husky vs. stihl debate.  I'm looking at replace/add to my current old husky 42.  I was hoping someone might have experience with 2 or all 3 of these.  They all seem to be very similar.  The only stihls I've used are a few 026s and didn't like them much at all, they never started well and had mixture issues.
I could also throw the MS 341 in here too.

any opinions are appreciated

thanks

thedeeredude

Used my new husky 359 last night.  Love it.  Go to the dealer and run each saw, they should let you.  Do your research before you buy and keep dealer availability in mind.

beenthere

I prefer Stihl.  Last week I had the opportunity to use one of three Husky's for some work in the Village, but none of the three had been well maintained.. so I used my trusty Stihl. It is well maintained.  ;D  I sure didn't like the rinky-dink plastic switch/choke arrangement on the Husky. Thought I might break it off (but didn't).

However, if Stihl's are not maintained, then they might run like the Husky's I was presented with last week.

To me, doesn't make a difference which brand....either or both can run well...and it's up to the operator to keep them running good.

My old 041 Stihl bought in '75 will still start and run very well. The MS361 new wouldn't run real well until several tanks of gas...now it runs very well too.

But, pick which one you like...not what I like... 8) :) :) :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Quartlow

I think it comes down to dealer choice. I bought an ms270, the dealers close and he's a good ole boy that can come up with an of the wall fix if need be. The husky dealer is 15 miles away the stihl dealer 3
The husky dealer is a by the book shop,

I also have a husky 55, both saws run about the same, the Stihl is a bit cold blooded. Wife prefers the husky, easier for her to start with the compression release. but if both saws are running she picks up the stihl.
I don't like the choke on the husky, It's broke right now you have to take off your gloves to get ahold of it
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

gus1957

Does your 361 rev. up when it's about to run out of gas?

My 041 & 026 did and you would know to shut it off and fill up before completely out.

I traded the 026 in on a 290 Farm Boss which runs great but you can't tell when it is going to run out of gas.

Then it takes at least 10-15 pulls to get it started which is pissing me off. It usually takes 5 when cold.

I've even let it sit and used the 041 till it gets cold again.

The Stihl dealer says it's because of the Inteli-carb and said to go up to the 361 to get away from it.

Comments from owners would be appreciated -- Thanks.

beenthere

The MS361 doesn't rev just before it runs out of gas...as I recall (that was last week when sawing in -0° F weather).  I thought there was plenty of fuel in it, and was surprised when I warm started it (no choke, idle) and it would start but not rev. Did that several times and finally dawned on me that it was empty. Filled it, and had no more trouble starting it than a normal cold start...3-4 pulls with choke, choke off, and one or two pulls on fast idle.

And like Quartlow says, the dealer is most important between the two.. Husky or Stihl.  I'll be lost if/when my present Stihl dealer/mechanic hangs it up.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Night Raider

I'm not thrilled with any of the dealers close to me.  I'm coming up on 3 weeks waiting for a $3 gasket for my 42 first they ordered the wrong part etc... There has been a lot of wood I've wanted to cut up in the last 3 weeks.  They are a stihl and husky dealer, I asked to look at the pro line of husky saws and they said they don't stock pro saws, that was the end of that.
For repairs/adjustments I take all my small engines to a retired small engine mechanic a couple doors down from me, this is what he does to keep himself busy among other things, he does a good job and will never take any money except for parts.
I just remembered that the dealer I bought my atv from is also a stihl dealer and I liked dealing with him, he is an hour away but I may try him anyway.

any opinions on the MS341? a detuned slightly lighter MS361?

thanks for all the replies

sawguy21

It sounds like that 'dealer' is in it as a sideline and is not interested enough to provide service. Also, remember that the 42 is an older saw and fewer parts are stocked as demand drops.
We don't stock the MS341, the 361 is a more powerful saw for little difference in price. In fact, while on sale from Stihl, it was cheaper.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

gus1957

What does the 361 cost in Canada?

Does yours rev. up before running out of gas?

Thank You Sponsors!