iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

woodmaster planer questions

Started by stumper, December 12, 2016, 07:26:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stumper

I was able to buy a 725 planer then shortly after a 718 rip saw.  Both need some things.

The 725 need feed rollers.  My question here is using one or two serrated in feed rollers.  If one placed closest to the cutter head?

The 718 is set up as a rip saw and has a 3 phase 10 hp motor.  I do not have three phase.  It also need feed rollers.  The question hear is really fix or sell it.  I can buy a phase shifter and use it as a 6.5 hp motor.  I formerly worked building furniture and had big ideas about doing so in my basement.  Two teen age kid will not allow that.  Value.

Thanks

sawwood

I have the 18" planer and would just add the serrated roller to the in feed side as the cutter head
will smooth out the in feed roller marks. As for the 18" i would get a 5hp sp motor. Could you put
a photo of the 18" with the rip saws so i could see how they have it set up. I have had my planer
for some time and have not had any trouble with it, sure would like to find one more to just set
up as a flooring unit.

Sawwood
Norwood M4 manual mill, Solar Kiln, Woodmaster
18" planer/molder

muggs

If you are talking about a static phase converter, you run the risk of burning up your motor. It is like a 6 cylinder car engine running on 4 cylinders. 10 hp is a lot of power for an 18 inch planer.  Muggs

stumper

Yes, a static phase shifter.  I understand that I will only get a bit less than 2/3 of the rated power.  Not sure why it would burn the motor up.  I know of a machinist that runs his whole shop with these and has for many many years.  If there was a problem I would have expected one of his employees would have burnt up a motor by now.

Kbeitz

Never have I ever heard one called a shifter before.
We call them static phase converters.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

DR_Buck

I have the 718, and both feed rollers have a cushioned surface.  Nothing is serrated.     I also have the gang rip saw kit with 3 blades for it and swap it in when ever I'm doing molding.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

muggs

To Kbeitz    The Ronk Co. calls their static converter a phase shifter. But as they say, a rose by any other name is still a rose.  muggs

uler3161

I would also just go with a single serrated roller on the infeed before the planer head. And I'd recommend whatever planer you're using ripsaws (or moulding attachment if you have one) on, you probably want to use a rubber roller to keep from getting marks. I assume the 718 has a rubber roller, so you should be fine there.
1989 LT40HD, WoodMaster 718

Dan

Kbeitz

Quote from: muggs on December 13, 2016, 02:37:07 PM
To Kbeitz    The Ronk Co. calls their static converter a phase shifter. But as they say, a rose by any other name is still a rose.  muggs

Makes sense... The third leg needs shifted 1/3 for you to get a good
3 phase .
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

stumper

on the serrated roller is on the 725.  The 725 as two infeed rollers.  So I could use two serrated, one serrated close to the head and one rubber on the outside, or a serrated on the outside and rubber on the inside.

I think I will just sell the 718.  So the question comes down to value.  What is a fair price?

David Freed

Quote from: muggs on December 12, 2016, 01:51:39 PM10 hp is a lot of power for an 18 inch planer.  Muggs
Stumper said the 718 is a rip saw, but he didn't say how many blades. I was pushing boards through 8 blades at 46 fpm. That's why I had a 10 hp motor on mine.

Thank You Sponsors!