iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stopping Falling Stickers.......Video by 123 Goat

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, May 04, 2018, 08:34:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Every time I saw stickers when the blade exits the end, the blade pulls a pile of stickers off and there they go like Pixy Sticks.
gotta stop the mill and pick them up......I hate it!

Watch:

Falling Stickers While Sawing - YouTube

I saw the existing hole where the High Performance Blade guide goes and came up with an idea.
I took some bolts, nuts and washers and a piece of Cedar and did a little welding on the bolts and came up with this.

The bottom of the Cedar Fence is level with the blade.

Heres the back.

Heres how it attaches to the mill.

Heres how it holds the stickers as I saw. I'm actually sawing way slower to get a good video.
Notice how the blade tries to sling the stickers to the left but the fence stops it.

Installs with 1 nut to tighten.

No More Falling Stickers - YouTube

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Well 133 people have looked at this and not said a word so I'll comment.

Hey...thats a pretty good idea Goat. I may try that.

David

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Thanks David.
It sure beats picking up stickers off the ground.

Goat

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: POSTON WIDEHEAD on May 04, 2018, 09:53:41 PM
Thanks David.
It sure beats picking up stickers off he ground.

Goat
Saves on your back too. Thanks for sharing.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Dave Shepard

I took a screen shot of this thread in case you ever need an insanity defense.  :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Dave Shepard on May 04, 2018, 10:37:21 PM
I took a screen shot of this thread in case you ever need an insanity defense.  :D
smiley_whacko

rjwoelk

Sorry i was out looking at how to make the same thing. Every one else is doing so also. Thats why they an't gettin back to you.  :P
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Southside

Can you make a video of how you assembled it and then attach it to the mill?  Something decent with music and all to the welding, measuring, etc?   :D  :D  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

PAmizerman

That's pretty dang slick Mr. Goat.
Now I've got another thing added to my to do list!!
Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: POSTON WIDEHEAD on May 04, 2018, 09:52:35 PMWell 133 people have looked at this and not said a word so I'll comment.
Words fail me. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

fishpharmer

David that's genius!  I'm not just saying that because you said it was a good idea 3-4 times.   :)  

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

PA_Walnut

Necessity is the mother of invention.
I'm continually amazed (and motivated) by the things the members here come up with!
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

schakey

smiley_clapping dancing-jack smiley_old_guy
Think-Dream-Plan-Do

Peter Drouin

I can make 4 or 6 passes and they don't move. Maybe your cutting too slow.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Chuck White

When I'm sawing stickers, I just put my hand on them to keep them from falling!

It really doesn't take much to hold them!

But, I'll give you credit though, putting the fence in there is a good idea, works well!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WV Sawmiller

I never tried pre-cutting my stickers to length before I sawed  them so never had that much problem with them although this looks faster. I hope you are going to post this over in the Useful Sawmill Mods thread.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Roxie

Quote from: POSTON WIDEHEAD on May 04, 2018, 09:52:35 PM
Well 133 people have looked at this and not said a word so I'll comment.

Hey...thats a pretty good idea Goat. I may try that.

David
:D :D  Remember that for every member that can comment on a post, there are hundreds and hundreds of guests that cannot comment.  As we speak, there are 300 guests viewing. 
Now, seriously, you should patent that attachment.  8)
Say when

Magicman

Actually all that he did was took the W out of his I D E.  ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Sixacresand

Do you have a jig to clamp 3 stacks of planks?  Can you cut the stack down to the last 1 inch?  Do you cut each plank to sticker length with a circular saw?  
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

DR Buck

I do exactly what Chuck White said above...   I hold them with my hand.   If I don't, I'll usually only drop one off the stack.     I also saw them full length of the cant and cut to length afterward.      

Now, explain to all of us how you are clamping those three or four individual cants and stacks of boards so they stay put while you saw stickers precut to length.  ;D
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: DR_Buck on May 05, 2018, 08:11:18 PM
I do exactly what Chuck White said above...   I hold them with my hand.   
If you are sawing a 10 foot length sticker, by all means, yes, hold them with your hand.....no problems.
However, when I have a stack of lumber on its edge and I precut the lengths to 32 inches,
Chuck Whites  my arms are not long enough to reach ahead and hold them from falling.
I suppose if you go slow enough you could reach, uncomfortably... and hold them but I make things for comfort.  ;D

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Sixacresand on May 05, 2018, 10:21:05 AM
Do you have a jig to clamp 3 stacks of planks?  Can you cut the stack down to the last 1 inch?  Do you cut each plank to sticker length with a circular saw?  
I take 12 planks on there edge....saw down to about 5 inches from the bottom where I have my marks for my sticker length...then start sawing stickers.
There are several ways to saw stickers neatly.

Nomad

That piece of cedar was a good idea, Poston. 8)
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

PA_Walnut

Well, at any rate, this thread caused me to cut a big pile of stickers yesterday!  ;D
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

123maxbars

Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

PAmizerman

It would take me one heck of a reach to hold stickers from falling :D

I have a remote mill
Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

Magicman

Not me, 'cause I'm just riding along beside them anyway.  More than likely I am feeling the top of the board anyway searching for any sign of a wave, etc.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on May 06, 2018, 02:11:41 PM
 More than likely I am feeling the top of the board anyway searching for any sign of a wave, etc.
surfer-smiley   Hang 10 Big Daddy. 

JustinW_NZ

Quote from: Chuck White on May 05, 2018, 06:38:21 AM
When I'm sawing stickers, I just put my hand on them to keep them from falling!

It really doesn't take much to hold them!

But, I'll give you credit though, putting the fence in there is a good idea, works well!
ditto...
Gear I run;
Woodmizer LT40 Super, Treefarmer C4D, 10ton wheel loader.

scully

With a remote command ,not walking next  to the cut can be a disadvantage . I try and be calm when I cut stickers , I have had times..... Awesome idea !
I bleed orange  .

YellowHammer

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Percy

GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Weekend_Sawyer

Wait! This guy is an imposter, there was no drone, no music and no guy looking like he just jumped off the mountain dew bottle (the original) narrating it.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I have locked this thread. Ain't talking to y'all no more.  😡

pine

I have other uses for the same idea/design that you came up with besides just stickers as I have had some 1" boards move as well as stickers.
Thanks for the video. :)

petefrom bearswamp

Nice mod Poston.
IMO the biggest pain is when the edgings, stickers, battens, etc fly off like that.
All of my stickers come from edgings that are suitable to the purpose.
I think my problem is clamping tooo tight causing the thinner pieces to fly off but i haven't schooled myself to correct this after only 18 yrs of sawing.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Thank You Sponsors!