iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I Can't Believe The Gall!!!!

Started by NewYankeeSawmill, May 02, 2024, 02:51:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NewYankeeSawmill

Apparently google thinks that what this is? An Oak Gall. There's a wasp gestating on the inside or something apparently? Found it on an oak seedling in the understory near my pasture garden.

Mother nature never ceases to amaze me with her beauty... Whatever it is!
Norwood LUMBERPRO HD36V2

beenthere

That is not what I think of as an oak gall. Have you a link for us as to what you found? Is the pic posted a pic of what you have on an oak?

Maybe a Texas woolly oak gall?
https://bugguide.net/node/view/1374696/bgimage
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

NewYankeeSawmill

Quote from: beenthere on May 02, 2024, 04:00:14 PMMaybe a Texas woolly oak gall?
https://bugguide.net/node/view/1374696/bgimage

I would say that's what it looks like!
Yes, pic is from the woods around my place in East TN this afternoon.
I searched something like "White poofball with red spots on tree" and I'll be darned if it didn't spit out some pics that were pretty close.
I grew up with card catalogs. This stuff still amazes me.  ffcheesy
Norwood LUMBERPRO HD36V2

SwampDonkey

Looks like a gall. The insect injects a growth hormone into a vegetative bud and causes some crazy growth that becomes host to the larva. I see galls all over white spruce tips, look like funky cones, but it's injected into a vegetative bud, not a flower bud.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

I find galls quite regular here in red oak country 
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Thank You Sponsors!