iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Black Walnut

Started by Dougahole, May 10, 2010, 04:51:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dougahole

We have a variety of trees on our mere 3 acres (located north of Peterborough, Ontario)including many: black cherry, oak, maple plus a variety of soft woods. My questions is, will Black Walnut grow in a sandy type soil. I know that there are negative aspects to this tree but I have a half a dozzen growing thanks the the squirrels. I planted about a dozzen nuts, in selected areas. Well, the squirrrels dug every one of them up. So, I outsmarted them critters. I brought a box full of black walnuts and left them. Well guess what, they were in such a hurry to hide them, that they ended up planting the trees for me.  All I had to do was transplant them to where I wanted them. Go figure.

Magicman

Quote from: Dougahole on May 10, 2010, 04:51:28 PM
will Black Walnut grow in a sandy type soil

All of the Black Walnut trees on my property are along creek/ditch banks, which is the sandiest, and loosest soil on the place.  Of course the water spreads the nuts..... ;D 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Black walnut does best on the richest soil, usually in coves and such that are well drained but moist.  They do not do as well on the sandy dry sites.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!