iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Started My Sawmill Build

Started by Boudreaux, September 13, 2020, 09:19:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boudreaux

After a few years of looking at what everyone has built I started building my saw finally.
 I am using some heavy wall 5 1/2" o.d. oil field pipe I had for the bed, with 2x6x1/4" tubing for cross members, I used 4x6x1/4" for the two ends and the tongue. I will have about 17' of cutting length and bed came out 51" wide. My bed came out nice, flat and square, still have to make back stops, log clamps and stabilizer jacks. I plan to use an axle that I can easily remove the wheel/fenders.
  The carriage is 2x2x3/16, 2 1/2x2 1/2 x3/16 and some pipe I had from other projects. I am using Surplus Center 18.75" pulleys on 1.5" shafts mounted on pillow block bearings. I rigged up an atv winch for the head raising but not happy with that because it does not consistently raise and lower head evenly, I have some acme rod, and sprockets ordered  to redo that.
  I am using a porta-power to tension the blade. I bought Cook's blade guides and a 1 1/4" x 171" blade.
I plan to power it with a 27 hp Kohler engine I have lined up. I still have a lot to do before I make saw dust but it is coming along good!
 I will add pictures when I get a chance to figure out how to do that.

Boudreaux

Boudreaux

Trying to learn how to post these pictures are not in any kind of order.

mike_belben

Love it.  That thing is gonna be so torsionally rigid you probably wont even need jacks.  Brilliant use of material.
Praise The Lord

Ljohnsaw

Wow!  Very impressive. 

I like your rail wipers.  I would add a piece of UHMW sheet behind it and have that actually rub the rail.  That will wear to a perfect fit and then will keep it clean without metal to metal wear.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Walnut Beast

Looking really good. It's amazing what person can think in there head. And then put the plan in action is awesome 👍

RAYAR

Nice looking set-up Boudreaux. One thing I'm concerned about is where the log bunks join the oil field pipes, do they still have an opening on each end at the top? If so, they will fill with sawdust and water. Could not tell in your pics if you closed them up.

Another thing is the use of acme threaded rods, larger mills seem to have problems with those. Chains and sprockets seem to be a better lifting mechanism for the saw head.
mobile manual mill (custom build) (mods & additions on-going)
Custom built auto band sharpener (currently under mods)
Husqvarna 50, 61, 254XP (and others)
96 Polaris Sportsman 500
2006 Ranger 4X2 w/cap, manual trans (430,000 Km)

thecfarm

Kinda late now, but make it long!! I have a mill that will cut a 20 foot log. Gives me plenty of room to put a 16 foot on. Lets me get the head out of the way too.
What's the plan for the lumber?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Crusarius

Looking sweet. I highly recommend you make that tongue removable. You are going to hate walking around it.

tacks Y

Nice looking fab work. The last 2 mills i have had used brass to wipe the track, gravity held them down. Also maybe run something to keep the carriage from falling off the tracks. Harder with pipe but safety first.  

Hilltop366

Great start!    Greetings from Nova Scotia and welcome to the Forestry Forum.

Lots of Boudreaux's around here but usually without the x. 

Boudreaux

I have gotten a lot done to my mill since I started this thread so I thought I would post an update. I cut a few practice logs and I am very pleased with it so far.
  I changed my head lift from acme rods to a shaft with cable wrapped around it powered by a winch motor that I adapted a sprocket to, I,m happy with the speed and ability to stop it where I want.
  I made a Pinwywoods log turner/clamp that works pretty well. I also added hydraulic power feed I made from a wheel motor from a zero turn mower I had laying around, the motor is turning a shaft with a "cat head" type pulley on each end with a cable wrapped around it then going though an idler pulley on the back end forming a loop, the carriage is attached to this loop to pull it back and forth. I put a flow divider to regulate the speed and a stop valve on each end to limit the travel so I don't crash it when I get distracted.
  I have put some pictures in my gallery, I,m trying to get them added to this thread.

Boudreaux

Boudreaux

Boudreaux

Boudreaux

Boudreaux

I made a self contained hyd power unit to power the saw mill or my log splitter, I can also power them from my tractor hydraulics but it's nice to have the tractor forks for handling lumber.

Boudreaux

Boudreaux

Boudreaux

Walnut Beast

Lyndaker

Looks awesome. 
"You got skills."

mike_belben

The hydraulic jackshaft drive is great.  How did you plumb the stop valves?  Im guessing theyre in series with the motor circuit and just dump flow back to tank?
Praise The Lord

Boudreaux

Quote from: mike_belben on January 15, 2021, 08:52:05 AM
The hydraulic jackshaft drive is great.  How did you plumb the stop valves?  Im guessing theyre in series with the motor circuit and just dump flow back to tank?

That's exactly right, in the forward circuit on one end and in the reverse circuit on the other end, I used single acting cylinder selector valves mounted to each end of the frame, when actuated by a stop
on the carriage the oil gets dumped to tank, I added a spring to the valve so that as the carriage is moved the other way just a bit the valve returns to it's original position.

Thank You Sponsors!