iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Visit to Donaldson's Woods (pictures)

Started by ancjr, July 12, 2013, 02:24:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ancjr

Took a stroll through the old-growth woods at Spring Mill State Park with my brother yesterday.  8)

One of the first things we came upon in a prescribed burn area outside the old-growth area.  A large patch of Prairie Dock.

A short walk further down the trail along some steep cliffs and crossing a road, we entered the Donaldson Woods Nature Preserve which is the old-growth area.  The air changed abruptly when entering - very still, slightly more humid and a peaty aroma - the still air and humidity likely contributed to it feeling slightly warmer as well.

Pawpaw are very plentiful here.  The understory was like a miniature "Indiana Banana" plantation in some parts.

Pretty good sized Oak tree near the path.  Seeing how small I make the tree look, it might be time to watch my diet!   ;)

A panoramic picture that shows everything from the ferns to the canopy.

There are also some pretty good sized Hickories.

Mitchell Karst Plain common feature: water filled cave!  This is a view of Twin Caves.

Near the end of the trail.

Definitely enjoyable and worth seeing if you like to be in the woods! 

pigman

I had the pleasure of visiting Spring Mill State Park a few years ago. I only took a short walk in the woods , but did see the water powered grismill and the water powered sawmill.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

ancjr

I've been multiple times and have yet to see the Pioneer Village.  The woods draw me in before I get back there.   :D

sandhills

Nice pictures and be willing to bet a great time!  Can you or anyone else tell me, what you call Prairie Dock, is that what we call Sour dock?  Looks to be about the same plant.

WDH

That hickory on the right was sure a big one  :D  Good stuff ancjr. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

ancjr

They say the nut doesn't fall far from the tree...

:D

ancjr

Quote from: sandhills on July 12, 2013, 10:07:24 PM
Nice pictures and be willing to bet a great time!  Can you or anyone else tell me, what you call Prairie Dock, is that what we call Sour dock?  Looks to be about the same plant.

I did a search and researched several sites about Spring Mill and was led to a consensus of it being "Prairie Dock" which is Silphium terebinthinaceum - the USDA Plants site lists "prairie rosinweed" as an alternate name

Looking up "Sour Dock" leads me to Rumex crispus - which does indeed look very similar.

If it were flowering, it would definitely be a surer guess which one it truly was.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Corley5

Quote from: ancjr on July 12, 2013, 10:53:56 PM
Quote from: sandhills on July 12, 2013, 10:07:24 PM

I did a search and researched several sites about Spring Mill and was led to a consensus of it being "Prairie Dock" which is Silphium terebinthinaceum - the USDA Plants site lists "prairie rosinweed" as an alternate name

Looking up "Sour Dock" leads me to Rumex crispus - which does indeed look very similar.

If it were flowering, it would definitely be a surer guess which one it truly was.

Looks like horseradish to me  ;D 8)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Thank You Sponsors!