iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

just ordered a 038 super..

Started by Woodcutter_Mo, November 13, 2014, 03:51:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

I set my saw on the ground,while it was running,I was moving brush and the saw started to run out of gas. The motor reved up and the chain started to turn,right on top of a rock.  ::)  The whole chain get a good work out on the rock. By the time I got to it the damage was done.  ::) I don't like to run my saw out of gas,so when I heard the high rev I went to shut the saw off. Chain break is on,when the saw is on the ground now.  ;D That rock took them little pointy things off mighty fine.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

HolmenTree

Yes I try to apply the "parking brake" when I set my saw down most times, but that's easier said then done :D
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

thecfarm

I know about the easier said then done part.  :D  But DanG,after that grinding job on the rock,it's easier to set the brake than to sharpen a chain.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

beenthere

I just switch the saw to "off" as I find it too easy to get busy doing other things and the saw just sits and idles away longer than expected. Seldom set the saw down while running.

I set mine down once on some damp sandy ground. Moved some limbs/branches that took longer than a few seconds. Looked back at the saw and it had jiggled itself down into the wet sand and was burbling in the sandy water.
Grabbed it, cleaned it up on the outside, and it continues to run fine with no evidence of damage from water or sand. But now, I turn it off. When warm, they start on the first pull anyway.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!