iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Check out this mill...

Started by Coon, April 16, 2011, 06:35:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

terrifictimbersllc

I would have guessed it Swiss if I wasn't told it was German.  But the head travel just seems slow especially the return. And if it was twice as fast what would it feel like to be in the box? 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Brad_S.

Quote from: D Hagens on April 17, 2011, 07:22:32 PM
But Bibby do your logs not have dirt and rocks on the side that the band comes through ??? :D :D
If you think long and hard about it what's the point of clearing one side of the log to save the band and let the band exit through crap and debris?
Regular dirt on the exit side does little damage to the blade because it is not being shoved through the cut, it is being kicked off and flung clear. Stones and frozen dirt being the exception. You sound as if you think a debarker is a waste of money. I would never own a mill without one myself.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

AvT

Looks like a fantastic saw to me.  The stuff they build over there can be totally amazing in quality, durablity, and PRICE!  One thing I was wondering about is where the blade lube was.  Speaking of German Quality, I am always amazed when I see one of those big Leibherr cranes.  Absolutely phenominal machines.
Wannabe sawyer, Cord King M1820 firewood processor Palax KS35 Ergo firewood Processor, 5403 John Deere, Bunch of other farm equipment,   LT70 Remote Woodmizer.  All good things but the best things in life are free.. If you don't believe me.. hold your breath for 2 minutes

D Hagens

Quote from: Brad_S. on April 17, 2011, 08:33:30 PM
Quote from: D Hagens on April 17, 2011, 07:22:32 PM
But Bibby do your logs not have dirt and rocks on the side that the band comes through ??? :D :D
If you think long and hard about it what's the point of clearing one side of the log to save the band and let the band exit through crap and debris?
Regular dirt on the exit side does little damage to the blade because it is not being shoved through the cut, it is being kicked off and flung clear. Stones and frozen dirt being the exception. You sound as if you think a debarker is a waste of money. I would never own a mill without one myself.

Regular dirt, stones and everything else on the other side is the same as what's on the cut side right? If it destroys the teeth on the way in then it destroys the teeth on the way out weather or not its throwing it or cutting it.
I think it's just another great thought made by a company that thinks! My guess is that they work in the woods, see what a mill needs and they don't sit behind a desk selling a product Smiley

Brucer

Quote from: D Hagens on April 17, 2011, 09:49:48 PM
Regular dirt, stones and everything else on the other side is the same as what's on the cut side right? If it destroys the teeth on the way in then it destroys the teeth on the way out weather or not its throwing it or cutting it.

My first mill didn't have a debarker. The second one did -- just the one. It makes a heck of a difference. On the "output" side the teeth are blowing out the wood just below the dirt etc. The only time it matters is when you're dealing with thick mud or frozen dirt.

I use the same principle when I'm bucking my logs. I find a clean area near the top and then saw down with the tip just below the surface. Then I buck the log from the other side. Dirt is always getting blown out toward me by the wood chips. I get 4 times as long between chain sharpenings.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Brad_S.

Quote from: D Hagens on April 17, 2011, 09:49:48 PM
[/quote]
Absolutely not true! When the blade strikes something on the way into a cut, the object is pushed against the log. It has nowhere to go and with the force of the blade pushing on it, something has to give....namely the blade tooth. On the way out, a struck object  can fly freely away, causing minimal to no damage. also, much of the debris on the out side is pushed away by the flying wood/sawdust/bark even before the blade teeth get to it.
I'm not saying a debarker on the exit side isn't a welcome idea, but for the cost involve, the benefits would be minimal were as a debarker on the entry side is money well spent IMO.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Dave_

Kinda reminded me of the old ratchet setter riding the carriage days.  The scissor log turner is cool.  And I got to get me a pair of those Euro overalls the operator is wearing :D

metljakt

Lemme guess.........100,000 Euros.

rph816

It would be a sweet machine if it was double cut.  Move one of those debarkers to the back side of the head, put teeth on the back side of the blade and go go go. 

Tom

Those wide bands almost require that you have a sawshop handy.  They need hammering like a circle mill, but more frequently.  The teeth on that band are swedged or soldered too.  That's a whole lot of sawmill to be portable.  It's probably more in the line of being transportable and aimed at semi-permanent or permanent installation.  I sure wish they would give you measurements and capacities in something besides Magic Mans.

D Hagens

Quote from: Tom on April 18, 2011, 03:37:53 PM
Those wide bands almost require that you have a sawshop handy.  They need hammering like a circle mill, but more frequently.  The teeth on that band are swedged or soldered too.  That's a whole lot of sawmill to be portable.  It's probably more in the line of being transportable and aimed at semi-permanent or permanent installation.  I sure wish they would give you measurements and capacities in something besides Magic Mans.
Hey Tom, it's interesting that you mentioned this about the wide bands needing a sawshop close by. Does the width of a wider band make it harder to sharpen and set by oneself? Also what's the life span of let's say a 6 inch band compared to a 1 1/2 inch band?

AvT

Wannabe sawyer, Cord King M1820 firewood processor Palax KS35 Ergo firewood Processor, 5403 John Deere, Bunch of other farm equipment,   LT70 Remote Woodmizer.  All good things but the best things in life are free.. If you don't believe me.. hold your breath for 2 minutes

ROUGH CUT

Wow! I never even dreamed about a mill this great.
It's not how you get into these things, but how you get out of them.

Bandmill Bandit

Quote from: ROUGH CUT on April 18, 2011, 09:01:03 PM
Wow! I never even dreamed about a mill this great.

Yea its a great looking mill but after a few views i can see LOTS of areas where maintenance would be a more then just a little head ache.

It is German and over built as one would expect but being German my self I can see a few places where the desire to engineer and mechanize may have out weighed simple and serviceable and be cause for hours on a meticulous maintenance program that may be as signifigant as the production capability.

May be wrong but trust me I do understand the mind set extremely well. None the less it is an impressive mill for sure.

you need a German to do it right and to screw it up right too. ;D

Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

backwoods sawyer

The way that thing folds up for transport is quite impressive as well. Everything seems to be hydraulic. This is not a one man sawmill by any means more along the lines of the WM 3000 "ONLY PORTABLE" and is ideal for the small woodlot system that Germany has. I do not believe you would take a mill like this out on anything less then about 5,000 bft. The portable edger that is transported on the mill is quite slow compared to a twin cut edger but better for production then edging on the mill.   
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Brucer

There are some interesting ideas with that mill.

I have always thought about a cross-cut saw that would never cut below the bottom of the band blade. It would be very useful for the extra-long (and overlength) timbers. I had never considered attaching one to the sawhead itself. Hmm ...

I also like the idea of a "dumping" sawdust container that travels with the head. Imagine having a small bin at the front of the mill with a conveyor or blower attached. Instead of having a long hose or pipe attached to the sawhead, you'd simply dump the traveling container each time it stopped over the stationary bin. I figured a 1 cubic foot capacity container would handle the biggest 32' log I'd ever have on the mill. Hmm ...

Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Bibbyman

I've looked at my Sears radial arm saw and thought about what it'd be like to mount the arm and saw in front or black of the sawhead.   But, besides the complications and being in the way most of the time,  you'd have to stop the sawing while you make the cross cut – like done in the video.   We have a Sears electric chainsaw that we use to trim flitches and boards.  Saw the flitch and drag it off onto the table where the offbearer can use the chainsaw to trim the end before or after edging.  Thus the mill keeps on sawing.

Now if it had two saws,  then it could edge both edges as it saws.  Many of the circle mills have this feature.

You get to the point of diminishing returns.   All the features and robotic folding and setup add greatly to the complexity and weight.  I noted that they pulled it to site with what I'd guess to be a 100 hp tractor.  I noted too that it had a pindle hitch setup that would tell me the unit weights too much for a half ton pickup or maybe even a heavy ton pickup to pull.

The blades sharpening looked like it used a swedged tooth.  I figure the kerf is something over 1/8" – maybe closer to 3/16".  The blade looked to be a major investment - not the relatively "disposable" typical portable bandmill blade. 

The clamping system looks to be aggressive in order to clamp through the bark and such on a log.  But looks like it could really leave deep marks on the cant and in the finished boards.  What if you have a log with sweep, crook, rotten sap, or large knots?  Would you be able to find a clamping spot?

Anyone else watch the edger video?  That's something different.  It don't look nearly as productive as the mill.

http://www.youtube.com/v/RYV82hM8Wlc
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

gunman63

Bibby, I noticed they pulled it with a tractor also, but i was wondering if its more "thats the way we pull things". the more foreign countrys u see in videos, the more they do it, weather its sawmills or firewood processors, its most always hooked to a tractor to transport. I just dont think they use pickups or one tons or bigger trucks, the way we do over here. granted u still  would  never pull it with a pickup.

AvT

Grande Prairie Alberta has produced a few geniuses when it comes to designing and building equipment for the forestry industry.  The most notable is Reg Isley who is the brains behind Risley equipment.  Another is Davco Machine just started by a couple of guys that like making stuff.  here is their youtube channel with their latest endeavor. http://www.youtube.com/user/davcosolutions

paul case

that is neat, until i get to thinking how bad i dislike having to work on stuff. i would much rather work with it than work on it.
maintenance NIGHTMARE.

pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Fred

Baker 18M
Woodmaster 718 Planer/ molder

backwoods sawyer

He seemed a bit gun shy of that saw coming at him. What happens with a bind up and nothing to hold the flitch in place.
I didn't like the way the Cooks mill chewed up the wood and this mill seems to take chunks out as well. But if it was green and yellow I would still tow it to the bigger milling sites even if it meant getting a bigger truck.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Thank You Sponsors!