iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log Loader Completed with pictures.

Started by Chris Burchfield, January 29, 2006, 11:05:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanG

Tim, ya must not be too dense.  Ya found this place! ;D 8)

When you pull the arch forward, it gets higher, right?  Well, when you drop it back, it gets lower, too.  The log just settles onto the trailer as that happens.  If you've rigged the chain right, it will fall away and grab the log further back as you pull forward again.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Radar67

Dang, when you say rigged the chain right, do you mean kind of like a cradle? The chain passes under the log and is attached to the arch is two locations? Or is the chain wrapped around the log to get a better grip?

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

dad2nine

We need a video of this bad boy in action. What's the saying? a picture speaks 1000 words? well a moving picture, must speak millions then...

DanG your one smart guy to come up with such a simple device log loading device.

If someone will send me the construction details, I would be more than happy to draw them up in visio and post them here. I can see where this could come in handy for lots of folks, including myself...

Thanks

timcosby

o.k i see said the blind man. figured that was it but i could just see it going right back where it was lifted from. i gotta make one of these.

DanG

Radar, you got it right.  The loop in the chain is much bigger than the log, and it just "cradle's" it.  I adjust the loop size according to the log diameter, and how much lift and pull I need to get that first end set on the trailer.  Here's the link to the pics I took a couple of years ago.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=6803.20

I don't take credit for inventing anything, here.  The arch is one of the basic machines.  Harold and I just happened to realize its usefulness for this purpose.  I think we both got the idea from the same place.  Those big commercial fishing trawlers use just such a rig to get their huge nets on board.  Harold built his first, and went with the snatch block method.  His arch is mounted forward of the aft end of the trailer, and uses stopper blocks to stop the arch from crashing forward.  I, on the other hand, needed to preserve my trailer for other uses, so I chose to mount the arch on the existing ramp mounts, which put it all the way to the back of the trailer.  The snatch block didn't work well with this configuration, so I came up with the "loose loop" method, which works well with my setup.  Either one works very well, and is safe to use and cheap to build.  What more could you want? ;)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Thank You Sponsors!