iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How NOT to open a idle wood boiler.

Started by overclocking, October 04, 2015, 10:51:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

overclocking

Well I was showing some friends my 1400 in operation, when I got to talking and forgot move the dampener before opening the door, so I open the door, then remember I forgot, so I reach over and throw the lever back and boom! explodes in my face.  lesson learned.

Thankfully I was able to capture the incident on my homes security camera.

Here is the video, Its pretty comical actually, but only because nobody got hurt, if my head was a few inches over it would have been bad.

https://youtu.be/I38vjPj6KEw

beenthere

Click you forum name and it will take you to your profile, and you can fill in location ...

Good catch on the security cam.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Roger2561

Every time I go to open the 1400, after I have opened the by-pass door, I always use the door as a shield in the event that it wants to spit fire at me.  There have been times even with the by-pass door open it will spit fire out the door.  Stand back and use care.  Roger
Roger

r.man

Thanks for sharing, I love video. Gassification at its best. Most of us have had our stoves woof at us a few times.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Logging logginglogging

I had it happen, I always use the door as a shield.....

New Guy

I had the same thing happen to me last year and also narrowly escaped getting hurt. Can't believe I forgot about that. Thanks for the reminder.

doctorb

Ditto and ditto.  I really try to be patient and wait for at least 15 seconds after I open the damper to open the door. 
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

overclocking

Quote from: doctorb on October 22, 2015, 08:11:14 AM
Ditto and ditto.  I really try to be patient and wait for at least 15 seconds after I open the damper to open the door.

I have heard of others mentioning this, I would have expected a "woof" or something like normal wood stoves do, but this was much bigger than I ever expected, my ears were ringing and I was totally shocked at the power of wood gas when it combust. One thing I know now, dont stand in from of the door. Wood gas is not to be messed with.

Think it is possible for one of these to damage the water jacket? 

Thank You Sponsors!