iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Old Circular Sawmill ID

Started by Honeycuttcars, April 23, 2020, 03:23:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Honeycuttcars

Hello, I'm hoping that some of the members can help me ID an old sawmill I purchased a couple of months ago. I have found no  name anywhere on any of the parts, but there is a raised part number on most all of the cast iron parts. All of the part numbers start with the prefex of "S". (example S23 is cast on the arbor drive pulley).
I did see a member ALWOL had a photo posted that is the closest to what I have, but unfortunately no name.
Any help will be appreciated...

dgdrls

Hi Honeycuttcars,
Please post some pictures of the mill,
that will help the most for making an ID.

Where are you located?   Maybe update your
forum info,

best
D

D.jackson

I have one that I can't identify as well. Mine has m casting g numbers. Like m550 on the husk. Like to see pics of yours

Honeycuttcars

Well it took a while and I figured out how to load pictures. Here is an assortment of photos. Please bear in mind that this mill was disassembled when I bought it. I live in Western North Carolina.

moodnacreek

Some day I need to learn to load pictures but first I gotta learn to takem. It's really nice to know [ as George Jones said] there's still some good old boys around. By this I mean putting back in operation a real sawmill. Is that a Turner sawmill?

Sawdust creek

That looks like a Turner, our old engine club has one that I operate at our shows.
Lee Gibbs  @  sawdust creek 

moodnacreek

A young feller not to far from here is putting up an old turner ball and roller pony sawmill. He found it in upstate N.Y. under a shed. Only one owner, original paint and decales . Just a tiny bit of rot starting on the end of a husk timber. It has 4 headblocks and throw outs [tapers]. The head block bases where never bolted down except the first one. There are no holes for bolts ?  Small collars on the mandrel but they look to be good. It is on concrete now but still a lot of work to do.

Honeycuttcars

I really don't know much history on this saw. The fellow I bought it from said it came from lower VA. but it was not assembled when He bought it. 
Luckly as I took inventory, it seems that all the parts were there. Over the years there was a lot of bad repairs made, so I have been trying to correct them as I go.
I plan on using a Ford inline 300 six to power this saw. Probably not the greatest choice, but will get me started.
Still not sure who produced this saw...

moodnacreek

The 300 should put out 60 hp. The hammered rpm of the saw wants to match the highest torque output rpm of the engine.  The tooth count of the saw matters also, the less teeth the less power needed. Does the 300 have a governor?        40 hp will work if everything is matched perfect with a slow feed.

Honeycuttcars

The 300 does have a mechanical govenor. It was originally used on a large chipper, but was removed for some reason. I built a mount and the engine runs well, plus it came with a PTO.

moodnacreek

That's a nice factory unit. If I can find my ford power literature I will try to get max. torque rpm and post it. On the sawmill the more power the better but you would be surprised how little they got by with years ago. The old fordson flat belted to a 48" saw with 28 teeth feeding 1" per revolution. The saw running at 400 0r less had to be hammered buy a real expert to do this. Good luck finding that man today.

Honeycuttcars

Oh yeah, I have three blades. One is a 44", one is 48", and on 52". All need to be checked before being put into service. 
About seven years ago... Myself and three other co-workers carried a 1930 Ford model A chassis out of the woods, I assume that was being used to power a sawmill. There wasn't much left but the frame, cowl,  doors, & fuel tank.
Finding a good bladesmith will be a challenge.

Ron Wenrich

Go to a local circle mill and find out who hammers saws in the area.  They'll tell you where to get teeth and any other things you need.  We had a sawmill supplier that stopped by the mill and picked up the saws and sold mill and logging items out of his truck.  It would be best to take it to a saw hammerer yourself.  You'll learn a lot about saws.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

dgdrls

I agree with Ron W.  seeing your saw get tuned is very informative.

You can also look to the Southeastern Saw Filers Association
SESFA

D

chet

Don't forget ta check out our long time sponsor, Menominee Saw, ask ta chat with Peach.   https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=11371.msg157279#msg157279
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Jeff

Okay, do you want to see me get banned from my own forum for foul language because I am spewing it outloud at the moment. You will know who I am talking about if your flipping post is gone.

It is inconciderate as all get out when an admin for this forum makes a post to direct someone to a longtime sponsor, and the very next post someone flarking tries and trump him to send them someplace else that could care less  if this forum exists.  Low class.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Thank You Sponsors!