iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

BIRDS

Started by Bro. Noble, December 16, 2004, 10:19:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Have not seen the blue birds for a couple days, but once the young left the nest a few weeks ago they hung around the yard here flit'n around.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Quote from: HemlockKing on August 20, 2021, 02:25:25 PM
They are mostly on the ground and feed on flying insects and such, they do crazy maneuvers to catch them in the air, much like a thrush, they twitch their tail feathers quickly when perched.
They are eastern phoebes. ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Saw 4 great blue herons in the creek last week, same time. A couple took to flight and one let go a stream that would cover a windshield. And yes, they flew a bit down the road corridor ahead of me. :D

What did grandma say when ask 'where did I come from?' A bird ..... you while flying. :D :D

HemlockKing

Thanks SD, I think that's the one, although some of the google images show a slightly different colour bird, but This image I found is what I'm seeing, so there are slight color variations between them? 

A1

HemlockKing

I must say they are a new favourite, I love watching them do their kung fu maneuvers and I'm pretty sure I seen them take out a few deer flies too
A1

Magicman

Our number of 'Hummers' is increasing.  We have had 1-2 and now it is probably 5-6.  Maybe they are early migrators or this year's hatch??  
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

The phoebes come around the buildings more so right now for the flies. We get a lot of stable or house flies on the house and porch screens in Aug until freeze up.

sawguy21

I was outside with my coffee the other day when a chickadee landed on my cup, looked at me and flew away. It happened so fast I had no opportunity to grab the phone. Cute little beggar, I seldom see them this time of year but they are plentiful in winter.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

HemlockKing

Quote from: SwampDonkey on August 21, 2021, 11:41:20 AM
The phoebes come around the buildings more so right now for the flies. We get a lot of stable or house flies on the house and porch screens in Aug until freeze up.
They sure are fun to watch! 
A1

HemlockKing

Quote from: sawguy21 on August 21, 2021, 11:54:35 AM
I was outside with my coffee the other day when a chickadee landed on my cup, looked at me and flew away. It happened so fast I had no opportunity to grab the phone. Cute little beggar, I seldom see them this time of year but they are plentiful in winter.
Chickadees have a soft spot in my heart. They are our most common bird here, most people take them for granted, they have my full respect, they are tuff and friendly little buggers. And yes in the winter they will stick around and form groups with mostly red nuthatches and other chickadees, they work as a team, but hatches work the bark, chickadees the branches and twigs, alarming each of predators and such as well. The forest wouldn't sound the same without the background noise of chickadees 
A1

HemlockKing

I have a few chickadees that will land but one in particular is always visiting me, he has a distinct sound he makes when he's ready to fly down and visit me, it's a "peep peep peep" sound very low pitch peeps and in a quick order. When I hear this, I can count on putting my hand out and having em land
A1

KEC

HemlockKing, Your phoebe sure is quite yellow, maybe the light. Each spring the phoebes come to claim my porch as their nest site, nesting up under the roof overhang. They like to nest in old barns and sheds, making a nest out of green moss and mud.

Hilltop366

Had a bunch of these birds flying around catching flying insects today.

Looked like starlings to me.

SwampDonkey

Last spring there was a phoebe under the porch nest building. We had those freak late snow storms in May and I found her dead one morning on the ground under the nest. Last 3 springs the tree swallows had a nest in a box and the female would be found dead in the nest or on the ground. They come earlier than barn swallows.

SwampDonkey

Still just two hummers here at the feeder. The feeder is made of glass, even the fake flower looking feeding stations. Has a rubber stopper and hung with iron. Barn swallows will disappear this week for the flight south.

HemlockKing

Just wanted to put in writing here I have actually since seen swainsons thrush, I thought they went south with the grackles 1 month ago, but have noticed them in the woods, much less vocal, much more shy and covert, but still around in numbers. 
A1

HemlockKing

Quote from: KEC on August 21, 2021, 06:08:53 PM
HemlockKing, Your phoebe sure is quite yellow, maybe the light. Each spring the phoebes come to claim my porch as their nest site, nesting up under the roof overhang. They like to nest in old barns and sheds, making a nest out of green moss and mud.
They are all very dominantly yellow on the chest, not the light! They guys go around in flocks too, most photos I see of phoebes are not yellow, but there is a odd picture of a yellow one like above, I wonder maybe they are just a sub species yet to be identified?
A1

HemlockKing

Seen grey jays today! Haven’t seen one around here before 
A1

HemlockKing

A1

Onthesauk

Our snow geese showed up this week in the Skagit Valley!
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

Hilltop366

A few of these flying around here lately.

Juvenile Red-tailed Hawk?

It was having a hard time landing in a tree in the wind, it gave up and flew to another tree on a lower / sturdier branch.

SwampDonkey

I saw the first snow buntings yesterday. Last night we had snow. ::) :D

HemlockKing

Seen a red tailed hawk today trying to mess with the chickadees, I like red tailed hawks but I shooed it off lol .
A1

aigheadish

I was sitting on the front porch this morning when I heard a weird "phwonk, phwonk, phwonk" off in the distance, then I saw these two white birds fly past. I assume swans?

New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Crusarius

I think those are snow geese.

Thank You Sponsors!