iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Recommendations?

Started by missvincent, November 23, 2011, 05:16:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

missvincent

Hi ya'll. I was wondering if anyone could help me out with some suggestions or recommendations. My fiance is a forester, and for Christmas I was looking to get him a couple good books. Amazon's not too great with reviews on the type of books I'm leaning towards, though, so I was wondering if anyone could recommend me some. He's generally interested in trees (of course, right?), wood, axes, gardening (especially in smaller spaces), homesteading, and other general "manly stuff".

Any ideas?
Thanks!

T Welsh

Welcome missvincent, Take a look at http://www.baileysonline.com/ they have all kinds of goodies. Tim

Jasperfield

"Timber Frame Construction" by Sobon and Schroeder

"Raising with the Moon" by Pyle and Reese (gardening by the signs of the moon)

Subscription to "Independent Sawmill & Woodlot" www.sawmillmag.com

catalog and/or CD of "Logrite" tools. (See sidebar to left).

Go to Google's website and download the free version of "SketchUp".

Carpenter

I think it was Readers Digest that put out a book called Back to the Basics, it was probably published in the 70's.  I think its pretty good for an overview of modern homesteading.  Has a little on gardening too.  Mostly manly stuff.
     If he's into hand tools and old methods of craftsmanship if you can find a Roy Underhill book he would probably like that.

AvT

I hope you find the books but im not too good at suggesting books, however I think it would be a great idea to give him a free membership to the Forestry Forum! Just like the one you got!!!!!!!!  This place is like a living book...
Wannabe sawyer, Cord King M1820 firewood processor Palax KS35 Ergo firewood Processor, 5403 John Deere, Bunch of other farm equipment,   LT70 Remote Woodmizer.  All good things but the best things in life are free.. If you don't believe me.. hold your breath for 2 minutes

Norm

Over on Bailey's website they have a great DVD called high climbers and timber fallers.

High Climber and Timber Fallers

He has a bunch of different ones over there but that's my favorite.

thecfarm

After Chrismas you will have to let us know who the lucky book reader is. A good way to join the forum and a big welcome to you. The Fox Fire books are good,how to do things the old way.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Rocky_Ranger

Get him a copy of "The Greatest Good" DVD and companion book, it gives a pretty good history of early forestry.  More Forest Service centric but a good story on early settlement through 2005.
RETIRED!

Texas Ranger

If he does not have it, "Sand County Almanac" is a good read and pertains to  his interests.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum missvincent!

Maybe after Christmas, have the lucky man log on with us!

Great bunch here!  8)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Radar67

For small scale gardening, the book "Square Foot Gardening" is very informative. It is one of the best I have read on the subject.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Al_Smith

I'm not sure if you can still get Crockets Victory Garden or not .If so it's a good starting point for small gardening .BTW you can get a lot of stuff in a raised bed plus you don't have to bend over so far to work in it .

missvincent

Wow, you guys. Thanks so much!!  ;D Some of the books and such mentioned I've been looking into, but since I'm looking online a lot of them don't have reviews, so I was nervous about whether they were any good or not. I'm definitely on my way to look up the others I haven't heard of. He and I have very similar interests, so I look forward to also reading whatever I get.
I'd get him on here and he'd have a field day, but he's kinda internet challenged, lol.
Thanks for welcoming me in and for your help!

Roxie

Missvincent, I hope you hang around and join us in future discussions.  You might be surprised how much you have to contribute.  I understand about the mister being internet challenged.  Several years ago, I came here when I had to locate some big beams for work, and look at me now.   :D

Welcome to the forum!   8)

Say when

customsawyer

I will add a welcome to you.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Magicman

Quote from: missvincent on November 25, 2011, 03:32:38 AM
but he's kinda internet challenged 

I have never seen that as a roadblock because these folks are good teachers.  They will laugh at you when you fall and then extend a gentle hand to help you up.   ;)

And Welcome to the Forestry Forum.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Woodchuck53

The Foxfire series is pretty interesting if you can still find them. From A-Z on any thing of old and being self suffecient.

Welcome aboard.
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

Thank You Sponsors!