iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How do you cover your mill?

Started by 4x4American, June 03, 2015, 08:44:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

What you do not want to do is to trap water/moisture under a cover.  That would be rust/corrosion city.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

Chuck,

I'm glad you chimed in. I was beginning to feel guilty for not covering the rest of my mill after reading and seeing other people's responses. I believe Peter would almost take his in the house with him at night after looking at his high class shed.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Deese

2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

Chuck White

Quote from: Magicman on June 04, 2015, 10:45:01 AM
What you do not want to do is to trap water/moisture under a cover.  That would be rust/corrosion city.   :-\

I absolutely agree!

If you cover your mill with a tarp, DON'T take the tarp all the way to the ground, that will seal it in and it will draw moisture from the ground.

Same principle as covering a stack of lumber.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Sixacresand

When I had an LT10,  The cover was attached to the head.

"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Magicman

And now you have an LT40 and the only cover that you have is your hat??   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

wolf nemeth

The first two trees that I cut after buying  my HD40  went to lumber for building the pole shed around the mill.....still just breaking even!
If you  don't know where you're going, you'll probably end up somewhere else!

Sixacresand

Quote from: Magicman on June 04, 2015, 10:41:12 PM
And now you have an LT40 and the only cover that you have is your hat??   :D
:D :D  The mill not getting my cap.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Rougespear

Peter: Your shed looks very good!  May I ask the particulars about the front header (span = 45', what about beam size)?

I like everyone's idea about ATF on the mill... thanks!
Custom built Cook's-style hydraulic bandmill.

stefan

In the winter it is usually covered with snow.  arg-smiley
My machine needs some shelter...

Edit: changed the text a bit.

Robert Owens

I keep my mill in the barn. It is a bit of a hassle backing it in and out and setting it up each time I want to use it, but I'd rather do that as opposed to letting it sit out in the weather. I just ordered my metal trusses and am building a 30x36 barn that I will be able to leave the mill in and cut lumber as well as stack lumber for air drying.

Ox

I use a tarp bungeed loosely around the head and carriage.  The track is exposed.  I put tennis balls on the tops of all the sharper stuff sticking up so the tarp lasts longer. 

I recently made some old fashioned oil cloth tarps I'll be using when this plastic tarp gives out.  Cotton duck/canvas drop cloth sprayed with 50/50 boiled linseed oil and paint thinner. 

I had an old army truck that had the canvas cab top.  I painted over it when I painted the rest of the truck and it was absolutely waterproof.  A man can buy a canvas drop cloth that house painters use and paint it thoroughly with latex paint and it'll be waterproof.  They did the same procedure on the rail cars in the old days but used asphalt/tar.  A decent roof for cheap is using old bed sheets stapled down to the roof and painting it thick with latex paint.  When the paint starts to show wear or deterioration give it another coat.  Just wet the canvas/cotton first and let it dry, it'll close the weave up.  To get a tight roof you staple it down dry, then wet it and let it dry and it'll dry taught.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

bkaimwood

You guys are gods compared to me... Set aside a little time and cut the lumber for that sawmill shed...kinda goes against what I said in an earlier post, but I took half a day today, and cut half of my barn siding... Putting it up is another story...
bk

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Rougespear on June 05, 2015, 10:47:49 AM
Peter: Your shed looks very good!  May I ask the particulars about the front header (span = 45', what about beam size)?

I like everyone's idea about ATF on the mill... thanks!

I'm not sure, I think 10" wide and 20" to 24" tall 48' long, all 1" thick steel.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

fishfighter

Built a portable shed to just cover the head. Was the first thing I did. If and when I build my trailer, then I will build a bigger shed. To many things in the fire right now.

Hookpilot

If you have any billboard companies around you may see if they sell the old signs (tarps) they remove. I have seen them on the web for $20 for a 12x20 I think it was.
WMLT50
"If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader."
                 -- John Quincy Adams

waho

fishfighter, that shed is portable? Is it on rails?

Thank You Sponsors!