Started by Peter Drouin, November 08, 2016, 06:31:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Drouin

Cut some cedar today.

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

DanMc

I love red cedar!  I can't wait to get one of these to my mill!!!
LT35HDG25
JD 4600, JD2210, JD332 tractors.
28 acres of trees, Still have all 10 fingers.
Jesus is Lord.

LittleJohn

...wish I had Smell-o-vision!!!

I think cedar's have some of the best smells, unless my allergies are going then I have to stay away

WDH

Pine Man is cutting cedar  :D.  Nice stuff. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Peter Drouin

But WDH, I think the cedar you have in the south is more Red.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Magicman

Yours shows probably the beginning of some degrading in the heart.  I saw some with the same general coloration as yours and then some logs will actually be a deep purple.  The redness will vary from tree to tree.  We have two different Cedars; one with sparse fan like leaves and the other more dense clumps.  I would suspect that the redness is different between the two, but I only see the logs, not the leaves.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

4x4American

Quote from: Peter Drouin on November 09, 2016, 09:30:46 PM

It would make sense.. they say that the grass grows greener down south...but little do they know, we don't give a turkey, or have a turkey to give at that!
Boy, back in my day..

Darrel

I was talking to a guy a little while back that plans to cut about 30 cedar trees soon and I may be milling them.  They are WRC though, not ERC.  WRC is not quit as bright a red as this. 
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

WDH

Almost all the ones that I saw have some rot in the middle.  I need some right now.  I don't get much of it. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

Looks good.  The Red don't get this far North. Or none on my land.
I have Thuja occidentalis. I have some that size,but it's so rotted hearted it could be used as a piece of pipe.  :o
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

Northern white cedar.  The deer like it, right?  Down here, deer will not eat the ERC. 

thecfarm

Oh yeah,deer love it. And then some. I was feeding the deer down at the wood yard. I was cutting the bog off in the winter time. I would haul a cedar out and leave it in the yard. My stepson has them eating the needles of the cedar,than they eat the grain.
Brenda's step mother wanted some cedar boughs for her decorations. I said,oh that will be easy. I walked over many acres and found no branches that I could reach,no small trees,none. I finally had to take a peice of wood on the ground and bent a limb down and break it off.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

flatrock58

Had a guy at church wanted a few red cedar cut down.  Cutting was not a problem.  Dragging all the limbs to the back of the woods took some time.  The biggest one was bad in the middle.
2001 LT40 Super Kubota 42
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

fishpharmer

Flatrock58, good looking erc you cut!  How will they be milled?
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

4x4American

Quote from: WDH on November 10, 2016, 09:48:55 AM
Northern white cedar.  The deer like it, right?  Down here, deer will not eat the ERC.

A few winters back, we had alot of snowfall, so much so that the deer were having a hard time getting around.  I cut a few ERC down for them to reach and they stripped it...but then again, they say that sailers ate their boots when they got real hungry so it would make sense...
Boy, back in my day..

flatrock58

fishpharmer
I made some stump stools out of the really bad log.  The others will be cut in to 4/4 and 5/4 boards for projects.

2001 LT40 Super Kubota 42
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

fishpharmer

Those stools will be handy.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

red

It's not really Red. But I had Orange hair people called RED/Ginger , it's now short and very Gray
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Percy

Quote from: 4x4American on November 09, 2016, 09:48:04 PM
Quote from: Peter Drouin on November 09, 2016, 09:30:46 PM

It would make sense.. they say that the grass grows greener down south...but little do they know, we don't give a turkey, or have a turkey to give at that!
Im assumin in this instance, turkey = rats..uhhh....you know.......
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Thank You Sponsors!