iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

edger

Started by jmouton, November 25, 2016, 06:22:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmouton

so we have been looking for a edger for a while now, instead of new ,   cuz we really  dont need one ,i thought ,   i found a used one about a half hr away ,  a woodmizer single blade ,  its a start ,,,   we just get tired of edging on the mill ,, we have a system ,but the edger should be a big help,  the only drawback or not is that it doesnt have a motor on it so i can power it any way i want ,  so i was thinking btwn 10 and 15 hp ,,gas ,,,maybe in a few years after we like it ,we will get a twin blade edger,,,                   maybe by then we can get customsaywers  edger if he dont like it anymore haha, if wdh doesnt get to it first,,

jim
lt-40 wide ,,bobcat,sterling tandem flatbed log truck,10 ton trailer, stihl 075,041,029,066,and a 2017 f-350,oh and an edger

paul case

I had one of those WM single blade edgers. I liked the way it worked. Mine was 5 hp electric. I think it was a 7 hp gas originally. We couldn't find a supplier for the blade it used. I finally bought a 12'' 40 tooth miter saw blade and put on it. It wouldnt take out enough for the splitter so I had to set the teeth a little and then it worked fine. Wm and others were at $100 a blade or more and the Lowes blade was $40. Worked well.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

jmouton

good to know paul,,,,thanks
lt-40 wide ,,bobcat,sterling tandem flatbed log truck,10 ton trailer, stihl 075,041,029,066,and a 2017 f-350,oh and an edger

WDH

Maybe you can babysit an edger for Customsawyer  ;D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

paul case

Quote from: jmouton on November 25, 2016, 06:22:29 PMmaybe by then we can get customsaywers  edger if he dont like it anymore haha, if wdh doesnt get to it first,,

jim

I traded my old edger to a forum member for some logs so it can happen!!! ;D

PC
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
pc

jdeere540a

Edgers are nice I have a two blade miner with a two cylinder Wisconsin.  It works good on one inch stuff but under powers on two inch.  The price was right though a friend gave it to me because he bought a new wood mixer.

customsawyer

Beware of the ole bait and switch. You won't be the first to fall for it, just saying keep a close eye out.  ;D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

barbender

I'm game to be baited and switched. It makes it easier to get past the finance department (wife) that way, too ;D
Too many irons in the fire

WDH

Switched.  To be whipped with a long knobby limb. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

barbender

Switched- what happens to me when my wife finds out I snuck an edger past her :D
Too many irons in the fire

Kbeitz

I find that it happens when I'm watchin the girls go by...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

starmac

The mill we sell saw logs too saws everything on a circle mill, but it only handles up to 25 inch logs. In the past they have just cut the butts for firewood to get down to the 25 in mark. They have had a large commercial band mill for several years, but I have never seen it running, and last year it sat all year with the band wheels off. They have it back up and running this year, but mainly use it to trim oversize logs down to where they will fit their circle mill.

Talking to them the other day, they do use some to saw birch into flooring and paneling, etc. They told me they thought they would put the edger attachment back on it. I have not seen it, but apparently runs with the band saw and is powered with a belt off the main power source for the mill. Has anyone seen one of these in operation?
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

jmouton

hey  wdh  maybe i can just trade customsawyers  edger with our s and he wont know ,,,,

jim

paul case

Quote from: jmouton on November 27, 2016, 08:06:40 PM
hey  wdh  maybe i can just trade customsawyers  edger with our s and he wont know ,,,,

jim

That would be a switching. ;D

PC
pc

jmouton

hey paul    ,  your funny,,, :D :D :D

dean herring

what are the best edgers? I'm just researching now. I have a tk 1600 so I would be interested in a talon 900. But have an open mind.
Failure is not an option  3D Lumber

paul case

In my opinion, the woodmizer single blade edger is the very best ''get your feet wet'' edger. a used one can run $500 to $1k.  If you have electric then go electric.They are simple to operate and can edge a lot of wood in a day. When I was running the 94 LT40 hd and had 1 helper he could keep up with all my edging and some of the off bearing with the WM single blade.

On the  bigger side I am sure they all have features that make sense. It really depends on the size of operation and the intended purpose.

PC

pc

flyboy16101

Is it worth it for a one man operation to buy an edger or or would I be better off to just keeping using the mill?
Wood-mizer Lt35, International 504 w/ loader, Hough HA Payloader, Stihl Ms290, Ms660, LogRite Cant Hook

paul case

Probably,

With out some extra help you would never realize any extra production with an edger.

PC
pc

Thank You Sponsors!