iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

cdl's and cell phones

Started by snowstorm, January 24, 2012, 07:58:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snowstorm

for those that arent aware of the new law as of jan. 2012. anyone with a cdl caught using it while driving a truck. the fine only $2750 if you have employes there fine would be $ 2750 yours will be $11000. a hands free headset is ok for now.

mjeselskis

I like the idea behind it because I have seen quite a few inattentive commerical drivers that pose a hazard to everyone on the road.

The fines are certainly steep enough to encourage compliance...
2006 WM LT28  1993 John Deere 5300
Husqvarna 562XP & 365 X-Torq

snowstorm

i expect the non truck drivers will think its great. wont be long before it will apply to everyone

JDeere

From a reading of the rule, the law allow up to a fine of $11,000.00 if the company fails to require their drivers to comply with the rule, it is not an automatic fine for the company. In other words, it appears to compel companies to require by way of company polices (in writing) that the rule will be adhered to.
2013 Western Star, 2012 Pelletier trailer, Serco 7500 crane, 2007 Volvo EC 140, 2009 John Deere 6115D, 2002 Cat 938G, 1997 John Deere 540G, 1996 Cat D-3C, 1995 Cat 416B, 2013 Cat 305.5E

ely

truck drivers pose much more of a hazard than the state police that i see yapping it up on thier cell phones. ::)

jessicas903

the law is for only interstate commerce , so what about us who are only under intrastate  .

Bobus2003

So this is a nation-wide law? Haven't heard a thing about it til now.

mad murdock

Quote from: jessicas903 on January 24, 2012, 11:13:48 PM
the law is for only interstate commerce , so what about us who are only under intrastate  .
It is a federal law, but it applies in any state that receives federal hiway funding.  That is the hook that has enacted seatbelt laws, national speed limit laws, and a plethora of other federally mandated "rules" that the states are obliged to enforce, even if you don't leave the state in which you reside.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Red Pill

We all need a lot more laws, don't we?  ::)

Sprucegum

Cell phone while driving law applies to everyone driving in Alberta. They already had laws that would have covered the situation if they had just applied them. It has always been illegal to drive "without due care and attention"

snowstorm

Quote from: Sprucegum on January 25, 2012, 06:12:32 PM
Cell phone while driving law applies to everyone driving in Alberta. They already had laws that would have covered the situation if they had just applied them. It has always been illegal to drive "without due care and attention"
i was up in your neck of the woods last summer. even called while driving. you mean the mounties could have got me? do have a question for you. are there wild horses in alberta? about 20 ran across the road in front of us. sure acted wild just a bit west of rocky mountian house

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: jessicas903 on January 24, 2012, 11:13:48 PM
Don't know about this law but much of the FMCSA (USDOT) code is adopted exactly by some states who apply it all to their registered drivers who have USDOT numbers.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

sandhills

I'm sorry but this is one law I would stand firmly behind, I drive a semi, not for a living but enough, and also have a cell phone, and when I'm driving that truck (you'd have to see it) that is one time I absolutely won't answer that phone.  Wouldn't be able to hear it anyway, but still wouldn't if I could.

Sprucegum

Snowstorm - the wild horse debate has been going on every since the first one got away 100 years ago  ::)  :D The herd you saw may have run from one of the First Nation Reserves in that area. The wild horses officially recognized live out on the praire North East of Medicine Hat.

bull

The law states any commercial vehicle, CDL not required. Also states intrastate or interstate.... no exemptions.... Not even for us farm type people..... The best part of all this will be everyone pulling over to use the phone.. especially the ones who make bad choices on where to pull over.... the law is vague enough that it might be a good idea to get out of the vehicle.. Depending on what state you are in what is the definition of ( operated, operating ) !!  breaker 1 9 breaker time to go back to the CB !!

tractormanNwv

I myself have a Class A CDL / tanker indorcement, I spend a lot of my time driving from WV to AL, and I'm surprised at how many OTR truckers I see with the phone just yacking away on the interstate, maybe they have'nt heard about the new law.....or maybe they don't care? And as far as cars go....I think they need to be under the same law (my opinion ), I have more trouble with 4 wheelers on the phone not paying attention than anything else.

Jim

timberjack240

blue parrot.. only way to go .. . i wear  mine when im haulin logs cause the trucks keep cant keep up .. well actually whole trees now since we do tree length.. but i can talk on the phone grabbin gears in that old peterbilt and never miss a beat.. the people im talkin to can even hear the roar comin outta those straight pipes from that old 475 cat  ;D

Sprucegum

Talkative truckers don't bother me a bit; its that young lady with a cell phone in one hand, a cigarette in the other hand, and three kids bouncing around in the back seat that scares the heck out of me - driving that car is the last thing on her mind  :(

Thank You Sponsors!