Kbeitz

Type in....

Bronze 1 Start Acme Nut, 3/4" Rod Diameter, 6
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kwill

Found some round ones but none like your block one in 3\4. I did see what they call derlin. It was a block type. How's long will the regular steel ones last?
Built my own hydraulic splitter
Built my own outdoor wood stove
Built my own log arch
built my own bandsaw sawmill
Built my own atv log arch.
Built my own FEL grapple

Kbeitz

Quote from: Kwill on March 31, 2018, 10:55:17 PM
Found some round ones but none like your block one in 3\4. I did see what they call derlin. It was a block type. How's long will the regular steel ones last?
I think the steel ones will last a long time. But that's not a good thing. They need to be brass or bronze so it does not wear out the rod. Metal to metal is not good with out oil or grease. Oil or grease around wood chips and dust is not good either.  There is some shaped like a pillow block bearing on E-bay. Search for "acme nut 3/4"
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kwill

Quote from: Kbeitz on April 01, 2018, 08:19:06 AM
Quote from: Kwill on March 31, 2018, 10:55:17 PM
I think the steel ones will last a long time. But that's not a good thing. They need to be brass or bronze so it does not wear out the rod. Metal to metal is not good with out oil or grease. Oil or grease around wood chips and dust is not good either.  There is some shaped like a pillow block bearing on E-bay. Search for "acme nut 3/4"
I seen those. Didn't like the 127.00 price per each
Built my own hydraulic splitter
Built my own outdoor wood stove
Built my own log arch
built my own bandsaw sawmill
Built my own atv log arch.
Built my own FEL grapple

Kbeitz

ell I'm ready to build an attachment. Today I went to the Flea markets for the first time this year. The weather has not been good for Flea markets yet this spring. I found a box of 63 new 3M cloth sanding belts 2" x 132" for $30.00. That was one heavy box to carry back to the Jeep. After I got home I went to the shop to look for some new rollers that I had that was for a Comez knitting machine. I took one sanding belt and wrapped it around the roller and I had around 6" left over. Could not ask for a better deal. This roller will be attached to the end of the router plane for a floating sanding roller. Anyone have any idea what speed I should spin this? The roller is 3" diameter. It's solid and heavy. The weight of the electric motor will also be on the floating arms. I will use Scotch filament tape to hold the sandpaper on the roller. The roller is 32" long and is covered with 1/2" rubber.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ljohnsaw

Funny how things work out.  Pretty cool.

Speed-wise, I would think about 300-400 rpm with that diameter.  What grit are those? 60?  You are going to run this after you use your router plane, correct?  You won't need much in the way of grit - you don't want to ruin the smooth finish the router gave you, just any little ridges between passes, right?

I would be worried that the weight distribution wouldn't be perfect and you would get more sanding on one side then the other.  I think you might want to have an adjustable spring on each end to give you the right  amount of pressure equally.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Kbeitz

It will be after the router is finished. Google is saying anything for 1500 to 4000 FPM. I will balance the weight. Think I'll use a 1-1/2 hp 1725 rpm motor to start with and see how it goes. I'm guessing the sandpaper is 60 grit. 
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kbeitz

I got it finished today as the sun was going down... I did not try it yet. I used the lift of the molding head carriage to lift and lower the sander. It's lifted with a chain so I can make it float when sanding.  I also used the controls.I can unplug the molder head and just plug in the sander. I add a 24 lb weight (the silver thing) to balance the weight of the electric motor. Spinning at 1725 rpm.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Crusarius

I would think for the sander you would not want it to float?

Kbeitz

Quote from: Crusarius on April 15, 2018, 08:57:00 AM
I would think for the sander you would not want it to float?
It weights around 50 lbs. I think that's enough weight on the roller...
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Larry

Green wood clogs sandpaper horrible.  Some species worse than others.  If you give it a day or two to flash off it might sand better.  Get one of those big eraser's to clean your sandpaper and it will last a lot longer.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Kbeitz

Quote from: Larry on April 15, 2018, 09:04:15 PM
Green wood clogs sandpaper horrible.  Some species worse than others.  If you give it a day or two to flash off it might sand better.  Get one of those big eraser's to clean your sandpaper and it will last a lot longer.
I let my slabs dry before it goes in this machine. So I hope I don't have this problem.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Peter Drouin

A sawmill, a spiral cant saw, a slab planer/ router, now a sander, 
All in one machine. Using junkyard blades and stuff from the dump.
All I can say is wow, I tip my hat to you, sir.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

TimGA

Mr K just read this whole thread, all I can say is WOW.  I do have one question,  do you ever sleep?  
   Thanks for sharing.
TK2000, Kubota L3130GST, grapple, pallet forks, 2640 Massey w/loader (The Beast) Husky saws Logrites One man operation some portable most stationary.

Trevor4130

Thank You Sponsors!