iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The Late Great "Sperber Tools Works" Chainsaw mill (circa mid 1980s)

Started by fencerowphil (Phil L.), August 14, 2005, 12:13:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

Well here it is. 

This is the mill I mentioned in another thread - the one I could never
afford.   I have seen nothing of this company for a long time.

Notice the depth control design, if you can make out the turn handle.
It ran a chain across to threaded rod.  Chain was housed in a tube.

I'll post more on it for those do-it-yourselfers out there.

Phil L.

Bi-VacAtional:  Piano tuner and sawyer.  (Use one to take a vacation from the other.) Have two Stihl 090s, one Stihl 075, Echo CS8000, Echo 346,  two Homely-ite 27AVs, Peterson 10" Swingblade Winch Production Frame, 36" and 54"Alaskan mills, and a sore back.

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

I neglected to show the "Femi-Nines" as I called them,  running the mill.

Notice the stylish milling loafers. 8)

Bi-VacAtional:  Piano tuner and sawyer.  (Use one to take a vacation from the other.) Have two Stihl 090s, one Stihl 075, Echo CS8000, Echo 346,  two Homely-ite 27AVs, Peterson 10" Swingblade Winch Production Frame, 36" and 54"Alaskan mills, and a sore back.

beenthere

Phil L.
Are the admins rationing your gallery space  ::) ???

I be lookin for a magnifier to see them pics   :) ;)

Not trying to be onnery with you, just hopin they could be posted 'bigger'  :)

Good edit Phil L., and I see what you mean 'bout the shoes, and I'd think the one on the left would be pushing instead of pulling on the end.  No sawdust, or chain dust either  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

Hes posting the thumbnails from the gallery, not the photos.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

ahhhh  SOOOOO!

Now ya' gotta' make fun of my larnin curve!

Today was my first time using the revamped pic posting.  Had been out of the
loop for a while.

The top picture shows the unit with two Stihl 075s.   It also could be bought
with or without two Stihl 090s! Yo!
Phil L.

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

Yeah.  That's better.

With this much power, I suppose you could jog down the cants:

I may bail on you guys and go slab up a piece of Pecan that's callin' me.

Phil L.

Kevin

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

Hey Kevin,

Yes, if I were the tall guy on the left, I would change my technique.

Not to mention the fact that this rig weighs in at between 95-100 lbs.
By the time they had made a few dozen passes you can bet they would
both be on their ....ses.

I have never owned one of these, but I would like to.

The depth setting mechanism would save a lot of time over the Granberg.
Also,  those large rollers would end the fights you can get into with the G-berg
related to the thrust skids and the riser posts.   You can really get into a
fight with the bark, especially on really big hardwoods (30" Oak for example).
The Sperber was expensive, but it was refined in certain ways.  For example,
the big 50" (Model 50) without engines retailed for $700.00 in 1986!
Complete with two Stihl 090s is was $ 2,320.00!  That's $810.00 each for the 090s.

Another back ache for you!

Phil L.              [All these photos were scanned from Sperber Tool Works direct mail brochures.
                           The last dated mail I had from them was 1986.  And no, don't believe my wife,
                            I don't save everything!  Just almost everything.]

Gilman

Thanks for the save Phil,
I've never seen a 075 so clean and new before.
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

Engineer

Interesting thread.   

I had occasion, a couple of months ago, to be in Rob Sperber's shop in Bennington, VT (a few miles from where I live).  We spent a few minutes discussing the Sperber mill, and he indicated to me that it became a passing interest, that his company was moving in a different direction and that the mills and parts for the mills were no longer available.  He still has a significant machine shop and I'm sure he has the capability to tool up again for them if the demand was there, but I can almost guarantee it won't happen.  He did have a mill sitting in the shop with a pair of 084 powerheads on it.  There is a local log home builder who uses it for flattening the bottom of the first log and runs the mill on a rail system out in the parking lot.  Basically it cuts the bottom off the log.   

BTW, it's still Sperber Tool Works, but the product line is completely different.  He now makes diving platforms out of high-density plastic.

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

Thanks Engineer,

I had done some internet searching a couple of years ago, but I was searching in New Jersey, the former location of the company.  That explains why I couldn't find Sperber Tool Works nor the owner.

I just hope the "Femi-Nines" never hear about this thread! :-[

Phil L.

TFox

Still running a sberber with two -76s and wanting to go to just one saw with out a helper and was looking for a replacement bar with a nose like the alaskan mill.  Was this even made or was Sperber always a two machine mill?  Two saws for a really big log always great, but not always necassary, convincing your buddy to do the next log with you, well some times change buddies.  I am running low on them right now any chance on the single attatchement?

Al_Smith

That is interesting ,a lot of work but still interesting .

I would think though that for the period of time a bandsaw would not be much more than the price as quoted for two large saws and this saw rig .Then again I wasn't there to know the circumstances .Nice to see it though,thanks for posting it .

HolmenTree

Sperber had a very impressive advertising campaign. Pretty girls , 2- 090s and rollers. The rollers didn't benifit the mill,  actually may have helped put them out of business.
Many millers complained of sawdust, bark etc being run over by the rollers throwing the cut out and making uneven lumber.
With the Granbergs sharp square edged tubing all debris was pushed off not causing any problems.
I forget but there was a chainsaw band mill attachment sold years ago that worked fairly well. But the life of a bandsaw blade is about 8hrs and alot of wavy lumber can be cut well before the 8 hrs runs out. The chainsaw sawchain mills are truly portable and the sawchain is easier to maintain and lasts alot longer.
Willard.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

dsgsr

I've got a Sperber Mill I'd like to sell if anyones interested. I'll place it in For Sale.

Thanks,
David
Northlander band mill
Kubota M59 TLB
Takeuchi TB175 Excavator
'08 Ford 550 dump
'87 International Dump
2015 Miller 325 Trailblazer Welder/Gen

dennisdmoore

Quote from: TFox on July 08, 2010, 09:59:09 PM
Still running a sberber with two -76s and wanting to go to just one saw with out a helper and was looking for a replacement bar with a nose like the alaskan mill.  Was this even made or was Sperber always a two machine mill?  Two saws for a really big log always great, but not always necassary, convincing your buddy to do the next log with you, well some times change buddies.  I am running low on them right now any chance on the single attatchement?

Sperber offered a helper handle to replace one of the powerheads and allow one man operation, though with a Stihl 090 it is a handful for one man.  I have seen what looks like the same handle on some photos of Granberg mills and suggest you check with them.

Thank You Sponsors!