iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

chop saw converted to chainsaw

Started by tlbrooks, March 25, 2018, 10:22:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tlbrooks

I got a deal on some chop rail saws. I cant find any model numbers but it looks like a Olympyk by oleo mac  999 and a stihl ? 076 maybe . are these worth converting to a chainsaw ? thanks for any help.

Al_Smith

IMO they are probably worth more as rail saws .

tlbrooks

you may be right. ive wanted to buy a chainsaw mill and I thought to use one for the power head would work.i know granburg has a manual drip oiler I could use. it may take two to do the job if the saw doesn't oil. 

teakwood

National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Weekend_Sawyer

Looks like its a heavy duty cut off saw that could literally cut railroad rails.
A portable metal cutoff saw.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

mike_belben

Pretty common tool around concrete work, for cutting rebar and slitting control joints into a slab.
Praise The Lord

teakwood

ahhh ok, know i now

I couldn't see how these chop saws can be converted into a chain saw. but would like to see how its done
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

HolmenTree

If someone was to go to all the trouble converting one then I suggest do it to a Stihl TS 500i with fuel injection.
You'd then be the first person to own a saw closest to a MS 500i.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

mike_belben

Quote from: teakwood on March 28, 2018, 07:35:11 AM
ahhh ok, know i now

I couldn't see how these chop saws can be converted into a chain saw. but would like to see how its done
Instead of a sprocket they have a vee belt pulley.  Instead of a chainbrake cover they have an arm bolted on that holds the cutoff disc hub and guarding.  
I dont recall on oil tanks and pumps though.  I parted out a dolmar and an efco maybe??  Years ago.  
Praise The Lord

sawguy21

I don't know if it would be practical. Is the case machined for oil delivery? By the time all is said and done, a used saw would be cheaper.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

tlbrooks

well I check the saws and none  have drilled oil passages. the look like they have   factory chain adjuster on them. the olypyk 999 has the adjustable oil port marked for a oiler but its plugged. the stihl looks to be low hours because the starter pawl is locked up. it has to be pried to get it to move. could you  use one on a chain mill with  a manual drip oiler? would a drip oiler work for a 48 inch bar or less?  

Al_Smith

While nothing is impossible some times it's impractical .It's kind of like people taking a Stihl 038 AV chainsaw and adapting a Stihl 038 Magnum cylinder to it to in essence make in a Magnum .When truth be known more 038 Magnums were built than the Av model in the first place .Besides all that a concrete/rail saw comes in handy at times .

mike_belben

capstan winch
 water pump 
Circle style chop saw for a limb processor
Sawdust blower
Leaf vac
Go kart/minibike
Praise The Lord

tlbrooks

ive been craving a lewis winch.  is the clutch the same as the two piece sprocket? ive found some on ebay.

mike_belben

i believe theyll most likely be outboard style vee belt pulley formed into the outer clutch shell rather than a sprocket or spline.  But ive not seen them all so dont hold me to it.
Praise The Lord

tlbrooks

I wonder if the clutch itself is the same as a two piece clutch/rim sprocket ? the belt drive looks like a good set up to drive a winch but the lewis uses a chain to drive it. it seems that the 076 isn't well liked but I still may try to use it on a sawmill. I also see that its made in brazil .  

starmac

I personally think the 076 would be a jam up mill saw. I think I have read that some of the ignition parts used in some of them are no longer available. That was a few years ago, the after market guys may have come up with something by now though.

The 090, would be better, but they are even harder to come by, and then there is the money they bring, if in good shape.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Al_Smith

Chainsaw milling is an option but a very labor intensive way to make lumber .Rich Dougan,AKA "Sawking " told of milling massive Douglas fir beams around 90 feet long for a rehab of a historical covered bridge in Oregon using a Stihl  090 which he first rebuilt  .It took forever but it was the only option for that situation .I might add it took forever just to find suitable trees to even think about doing the job .I can't imagine .

Don P

We made a couple of 60' 12x12's for a barn rebuild last year with the Alaskan mill.
A Lucas mill slabbing bar uses gravity fed 30 wt oil from the nose, they want 30 there because it doesn't need to stick around the nose.

Thank You Sponsors!