iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husky 2100

Started by YZGreg, April 04, 2004, 01:02:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

YZGreg

Hi! I have an old 2100 that I got from my friend's dad about 3 year ago, it was well used but I just had to put a bar&chain on it and go. I have a question about it, Are you supposed to run premium in it, cause I put 94 out of my dirt bike in it the other day and it ran better that ever, It feel like its pretty high compression but it doesn't ping on regular (that I can hear) it just isn't as smooth. Its always been run at 25:1 but it doesn't foul the plug or get carboned up it just smokes a little, I guess thats why it hasn't needed any work.
Thanks,
Greg

oldsaw-addict

Welcome to the forum!

I guess if you've always run a 25:1 ratio in it, that it would always have plenty of lubrication and therefore not need any work besides a new plug now and then, a new sprocket once and a while and maybe, just maybe a new starter rope. The premium unleaded fuel is better in this saw, it brings it to it full potential because premium is a cooler burning grade of gas where the regular has a higher temp when it burns which makes it more suitable for cars and such. But premium is by far the best grade of fuel available for 2 cycle engines unless you live in japan where they have something like 105 octane gas.
Let there be saws for all mankind!

YZGreg

What about marked boat gas cause its way cheaper and 89 octane? It would be better than regular anyway. I've been running it for three years and put 3 starter ropes in it but nothing else I just clean the air cleaner and the clutch cover out. It starts within 3 pulls cold and first pull every time hot. I love it even tho its old and heavy, its got lotsa power and a 32 incher :)

oldsaw-addict

I still recommend the high grade fuel for 2 cycle engines because the higher octane gas lets the saw run cooler and therefore last longer, which is a BIG plus when you have a saw that they no longer make and parts are few and far between for. Although some saws tend to run well with regular in them,I've mainly used midgrade or premium in my Jonsered, Homelite,Husky and McCulloch power tools, I'd never think of running regular in them cause they're too important to me and I cant afford to have them sitting around for more than a day because of a broken part or a bad piece in the saw. The cooler the saw's engine is running, the better the saw will work and the longer it will last, thats also why you'll see a lot of people here mentioning modified mufflers and chainsaws in the same post.

YZGreg

Yeh but gas is cheap in the states, premium costs almost $1 per litre thats like $4.50 per gallon! I ran regular in it for years and it never had any problems, also the more oil it gets the hotter it can run without damage it never gets that hot tho. Boat gas is cheaper than regular and it's mid grade so I think I'll buy marked.
Thanks,
Greg

oldsaw-addict

I was thinkin you were in the US, the price of gas here is supposed to top $3/US gallon, In my area, its only 1.95/gal for Premium at 7/11, I'm expecting it to get higher, but I hope it dont get much higher. mid grade will work fine, just dont use cheap gas with something like that new ethanol crap in it, I dont know what that'll do to a saw and I dont want to learn the hard way either.

YZGreg

Yeh I only buy good gas, my engine's thank me by not breaking down ;)
Thanks for the reply's
Greg

Kevin

Most manufacturers recommend 89 as the lowest octane.

Thank You Sponsors!