iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Problem with chain binding up on new Jonsered

Started by JJ, March 22, 2009, 05:44:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arojay

Hmmm,  I've been away for a few days.  I missed the post about the beach logs when I posted about the bar etc...
I wonder how you are making out with this problem JJ.  Are you having trouble when you are cutting logs from Beech trees or logs that you are salvaging from a beach?  Are the logs laying on the ground or are they resting on brow logs or some other kind of skid?
440B skidder, JD350 dozer, Husqvarnas from 335 to 394. All spruced up

Rocky_J

If it's a technique problem then you might have better luck keeping the saw at full throttle and pulling it back out of the cut slightly. Keeping the chain spinning will help it clear quicker, rather than slowing it down to half throttle. And yes, try the skip chain. With time you should get a feel for how the saw works best.

JJ

funny arojay..
I do mean green beech logs.
Very heavy, I hang off 4' peavy to roll them.  I do not find very many logs on beaches around here (middle of vacation land)

I was cutting on couple of feet of snow, so digging is no problem.
I am planning on buying a full skip chain but there is problem.

My logs are now in small lake, so I must wait for things to dry out a little, and welcome to black fly season.

Which meeans>time to go fishing for that Sebago Silver Salmon !!! Ice out today !!! 8)

JJ

arojay

Well,  I didn't mean to be funny, but I did begin to think about it.  I have worked with salvaged and drift logs and the characteristics for cuttting can change.  There is a post in Forestry and Logging about cypress logs that are on a beach.

Ice out...  wow, we still have about 40 inches of ice or more.  I am planning to ice fish this wekend and will need the extension for the ice auger.  What is a Segabo Silver Salmon?
440B skidder, JD350 dozer, Husqvarnas from 335 to 394. All spruced up

thecfarm

I have cut many,many green beech trees.Some over 2 feet through and had no trouble at all with the saw dust binding in the bar.I do not use any special chain.Probaly we are using the same style chain.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

bandmiller2

JJ,just for chuckles check that the dealer didn't put A .050 bar with a .058 chain also check sprocket.You could also have a bad bar,they sneek through every so often.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

SawTroll

I don't really understand why the problem appears, but maybe it is time to rule some possible reasons out - try to whack a wedge into the top of the cut, before you finish the cut.
Information collector.

Thank You Sponsors!