iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

First saw for felling

Started by EnglishWoodsman, July 31, 2016, 06:59:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EnglishWoodsman

Hi guys,

So I've finally got work felling. Although we do some large fell, here in the UK I'm unlikely to cut many trees in this job over 2 or 3' across, and if that happens, I'll either get the boss to do it or borrow his larger saw. However, I'm going to save up for my own, first saw which I can use for work and also use at college for my second (final) year when we learn windblown and large fell. My estimation, and I am a newbie so forgive me if I'm wrong, is that I will need a saw in the 60cc range, taking bars between 15-20" and this will do pretty much everything I need.

There are so many models out there, ones to get second hand, ones from dealers, old and reliable or old and discontinued for good reason that I don't really know what's the best value for money. A quick tally of cc, power output and kg/kW ratio has suggested the Husq 560 technically comes out best of advertized current models, followed closely by the MS362 and then by the 555, but of course numbers games don't tell you whether the production is decent and the saw will last. Obviously, if it's a new saw, I will have to save up and although used saws can go for a good price, this says nothing of how well they will work when I start one up.

Can anyone give me some advice?

Much appreciated

Ianab

Well a 60cc saw / 20" bar is probably where you should be looking. Perfectly able to cut a 36' tree with a bit of skill and cunning.

Thing is there are various grades of saw in that range. There is "Cheap Junk". Avoid that. There is "semi-pro" which is aimed at farmers and firewood cutters. That's the Husky non XP range and saws like the MS311 etc. Good saws for part time use, but they wont hold up to a couple of years of full time work.

Then there are "pro" saws like the MS 362 and the Husky XP range. Those are designed to be used hard every day, AND last couple of years with good care.  If you plan make a living with a chainsaw, them buy a good one, like the MS362.  That's not the only option because all the main saw makers have a decent saw in that range.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

EnglishWoodsman

Thanks for your message. I have a fairly good eye for the obviously naff, but can you recommend some models similar to 560 and ms362 to look into? Even if they're older models of well known brands.

A couple of years? Is that all? That's sad. I use my dad's saw at the moment, only a wee one but it's about 20 years old and I'm cutting up a mature oak with it!

DelawhereJoe

To tell you the truth I think you may be better off with a 70cc saw over the 60cc saws. While the 60cc saws will fell the larger trees it will take longer with less power, try looking around for a 372xp or ms 441, hey will be around .5 kg heavier.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

thecfarm

I always mention the dealer support. I feel all makes are just about the same. A good dealer can make a the saw,a bad dealer can make a good saw bad. I went with Husky for dealer support. They got bought out and now I go to a Jonsered dealer for chainsaw work.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

EnglishWoodsman

When you say 'larger trees' what size are you referring to?

motohed

If , I were going to be a 1 saw guy , I would look at the Husky 372 xp or the Stihl ms 461 yes a little heavier than the 562xp or ms362 cm . You stated , you were looking to get through 2 to 3 foot wood . the larger saw will blaze through a lot quicker with the larger saw . I would lean torward the Stihl ms 461 as it is a well balanced saw , that will pull anything you will need . It sounds like you may already have a smaller saw already if not I would look at the Stihl ms 261 or the Husky 550 xp or a true 60 cc saw like the ms362 or Husky 562 xp . Dealer support is the real ticket , if your in the business . You really can't go wrong with Husqvarna , Stihl , or Jonsered for true pro saws . Then , they're are the Echo's , Great saws , that just don't quit make the pro saw power of the others and generally heavier in the same power ratio and a little slower . JMHO

JohnW

You know saws are high maintenance, so how crafty are you?  Probably all users have to learn chain and bar maintenance.  Beyond that, I rely on my excellent dealer support.  Things like tune up, repair or replacement of fuel filter, oil pump, carburetor.  Can you judge the condition of a used saw?

Maybe you're naturally crafty, but if not, beware of some advice you get on this board, like from those guys that say things like, it rained this afternoon, so I took the opportunity to rebuild the saw I had setting in my shop for the last 2 months.

EnglishWoodsman

I am, actually! I would like to get some advanced training beyond the basic maintenance you get with a CS30. It's the engineer blood from my dad and his dad.

Ianab

"A couple of years" means using it every day like a logger or arborist would.

Get a decent saw and only use it part time, and it should last for 20 years (Maybe with a few minor repairs)

Saw size you need mostly depends on what you have to cut. Guys doing commercial thinning of 6 -8" trees might only carry a 50cc saw. Less weight to hump up and down the hills and cuts small stuff just as quick as a bigger saw. Or you might end up dealing with 4 ft+ logs, and an 80-90cc saw is more like it.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

DelawhereJoe

Are you going to be felling all day everyday, or is it fell the tree then cut it into manageable pieces and haul it off ? If you will be felling all day, I'd  definitely say the 70cc-76cc saws and a few different bar sizes a 20" and maybe a 28" with half or full skip chain. If your cutting softer woods you could probably get away with full comp chain, just keep it sharp.

DelawhereJoe

Unless 90% of the trees your cutting are 16"-20" then the 60cc saw should be fine. I just cut firewood for 3 houses and aren't under any time pressure, so a ms 362 c-m with a 24" bar will cut everything I need to, even if it takes longer then a 70cc + saw. Time for me isn't money, not like the guys felling for a living, if it was, I would have much larger saws.

danbuendgen

I don't know much at all about Stihls. Good saws, but Husky get my business, because there is a good dealer in my area, plus they sell logging supplies. I have a few 562xpg's and they are good saws. I have run them daily for years with no issues. They are good for small to medium wood if you can keep the chain sharp. I seems like the EPA killed the 372xp in my opinion. I have gone through a few of the "new ones", and they run like crap brand new. So I switched to the 562xp. Lately I have been chopping with my 390xp. POWER! That saw has a muffler mod, and I run it as lean as I dare. Sounds good. Its my oldest saw, and has been the most reliable. In my opinion, the bigger they are, the better they run. The 390xp runs spring, summer, fall, and winter the best. The 562xp is easy to flood, especially in the summer months. The 390xp never bothers. Ever. I think I want a second one.
GOOD LUCK.
Husqvarna ~ TimberJack ~ Dodge Cummins

Ohio_Bill

I think the CS590 Echo is a lot of saw for the money. Have had one for 2 years and have been very pleased with it.
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

EnglishWoodsman

Ah, that's a fair point. Well this coming twelve months I will only be using two days a week, even though I will be pretty much all day, but I will be snedding, cutting to length and moving so it won't be running non stop, and I won't be needing my own saw for the big stuff. I'm thinking a 60cc would be fine, I'll compare the echo specs and reviews.

John Mc

Have you looked at what others in your area in the same situation are using? that's usually a pretty good indicator. It's also a way to find out who are the good dealers in your area.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Carson-saws

Once again...for me....MS440 long bad, chisel or Pro chain....in felling, to me, it is always better to have to  much than not to have enough.
Let the Forest be salvation long before it needs to be

John Mc

Quote from: Carson-saws on August 01, 2016, 10:39:11 AM
Once again...for me....MS440 long bad, chisel or Pro chain....in felling, to me, it is always better to have to  much than not to have enough.

For me, I tend towards smaller and lighter. I carry the lightest saw that will reliably and easily cut 90% of what I'm going to run in to, and just work at it a bit with the same saw when I run into something bigger. Given what I have to cut, my 50 and 60 cc saws are what I use most often - but then I'm not cutting 2' to 3' diameter trees.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Chop Shop

Love my 046 and 461.   Wouldnt trade it for the world.

I either have an 026 in hand or the 046.

DelawhereJoe

Have you asked your boss what he recommends for a saw?

John Mc

Quote from: DelawhereJoe on August 01, 2016, 06:35:56 PM
Have you asked your boss what he recommends for a saw?

Why would I ask my wife what saw to get? What does she know about tree felling?

Oh... wait... I guess that's not what you meant.

630red

make sure you can get sorted for spares close to you,sometimes can wait awhile on parts if your local dealer doesnt carry the brand you go for

pinefeller

i ran a 60 cc saw 359 husky 18'' 050 (my first new saw)when everyone else ran a 70 wasnt beat to death by the end of the day, used less fuel, handled way better limbing. and i ran circles around them. i also know how to sharpen a chain though...on that note i now run a 372 and 385xp...with a 8 tooth sprockets and and still an 18'' bar full comp.  my elbows hurt a lot now and you blow a lot of bar tips. next saw will be a 562xpg they handle like a porche plenty of power warm hands in the winter sigh... i got two years out of the little 359 before she threw a retainig clip and killed the piston and jug. it had seen so many hours of full throttle beating i passed the carcass on instead of rebuilding. :'( im only 5'5 and 150lbs so if your a big dude, a bigger saw wouldnt be such a burden, but up goes the price. and last you dont need a big saw for a big tree you can wack a 4' tree with an 18'' bar just about as fast a long bar
for those who say "it cannot be done!" please do so quietly so as not to disturb those who are doing it.

Thank You Sponsors!