iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing Catalpa

Started by Qweaver, April 01, 2015, 08:15:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qweaver

I'm sawing 15 Catalpa logs for a builder and he wants them to be as straight as possible.  I sawed the first log and the 2x12s stayed really straight and the 2x6s, coming out of the first cut after the slab, bowed @ 1/4"...just about the max wanted by the builder.  I've never sawed Catalpa but it seems pretty stable.  I'm going to saw one whole log into 2x6 and see if that works better.   The logs are fairly heavy but very soft.  The turner and cant hook dig some pretty deep holes but they close up pretty well.  The builder has sawed for years and understands the problems. 
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Never heard of it Boss.  say_what
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Qweaver

Yep,  I just misspelled.
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Jeff

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on April 01, 2015, 08:41:57 PM
Never heard of it Boss.  say_what
Think Big leaves and green beans. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

bandmiller2

That's the great thing about this forum you can misspell something but everyone knows what your talking about. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

thecfarm

Green beans?? I have seen a few of them around here. I forgot when they blossom here.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Ours are blooming now.  I saw a large tree flowered out quite nicely this afternoon. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

I think there are really only two trees that bloom around here. One is the chestnut and this green bean tree. One blossoms around the first of July and the other???
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

LaneC

I have been wondering if these are the same trees we have down here. You get the worms off of them and use them for fish bait. They come once a year and you shake them from the tree, pick them up and freeze them in corn meal for later use. They are excellent bait for bream and catfish. I have never seen a tree that was big enough to mill. They are usually about 4-8". I have been wondering about this for a while because of other posts. Do you get the worms from the catalpa trees you are milling? I am just wondering if it is the same tree that we call by the same name.
Man makes plans and God smiles

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Is this the tree some people refer to has having Monkey Cigars?

Danny?
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Qweaver

The trees that I'm milling are 20" dia and up to 26".  I have no idea about strength but I'm guessing well below yellow poplar.

LaneC

OK. I have never seen one any where near that size down here. They usually grow along river banks or in hardwood swampy areas down here. Do you all get any types of worms that eat the leaves off of the trees? Down here they are green and yellow with a black head. They get to be about 3" long.  They only eat the leaves from this certain type of Catalpa tree. There can be several hundred to tree at times, if you can keep the wasps form killing them. The wood is very soft on the inside and stringy as well.
Man makes plans and God smiles

west penn

very soft, used for carving duck decoys  and pretty rot resistant.

Magicman

Yes LaneC, Most trees are pruned heavily each year, but if they are allowed to grow, they get quite large.  While growing up, we had one in the front yard that was probably 24"+.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

hackberry jake

I know @Larry has cut his fair share of it... Speaking of... I meant to buy some more off of you the last time I was there.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

kensfarm

Quote from: LaneC on April 01, 2015, 09:27:55 PM
  They are excellent bait for bream and catfish.

Best catfish bait.  We use to call them Catagler trees. 

rooster 58

We used to call them "Toby" trees ;)

bandmiller2

Up here they are considered a messy trash tree, they aren't even that good to burn. Frank C.

Qweaver

I'm sawing catalpa and the mill turner and cant hooks are sinking really deeply into the soft wood.  I thought of putting a 1" piece of oak between the wood and the cant hook after the first cut.  I'll try that I guess.
Suggestions?
The builder said that they used straps and the loader to turn big logs but I don't see how to do that in this case.

Qweaver

I think that anti-rot is the main thing.

bandmiller2

No self respecting pathogen will attack them. Frank C.

WDH

David,

Yes.  The fruit is a long pod.  If you rip the leaf apart, it stinks (foul odor). 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Hillydano74

When cuttin cedar I just grab me up a scrap piece like a knot laying close by, put it between the cant hook and the log. Quick fix that works well for me.

Skip

It is a very desierble wood for carvers at ,a niche market the right guy will pay top dollar

Thank You Sponsors!