iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Planing Logs: Price per Foot

Started by Mad Dog 1, March 03, 2010, 02:38:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mad Dog 1

I haven't been on here since last year, but wanted to pose a question to the members here.  I got back from log building school last May, but still haven't started my place up as of yet.  I am looking into getting more experience building, and had a friend of a friend call me and ask to give them a price on planing logs, with a power, hand planer.

The deal is he's already signed a contract for a builder to construct the house and the logs have been peeled with a draw knife.  He'd like me to plane them for him, before work starts on the construction in a couple weeks.  I have no idea where to start with a price, since at school we covered construction price per foot for the whole building. 

Just hoping you guys can point me in the right direction, since I want to give him a fair price, and then give a helping hand on the construction for more experience, prior to building my place.  Thanks in advance for your help. ;D
I refuse to tiptoe through life, only to arrive safely at death.

beenthere

Sounds like you should give him a price per hour for your labor. After doing the work, you will know how much to charge per foot.  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jim_Rogers

Do a time study.....that is get a sample and try it and see how long it takes you.....

figure your time and whatever other overhead costs and then convert to "by the foot"....

I use a stop watch I got at Radio shack to time things......
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Mad Dog 1

You guys are funny, thanks for the responses. 8)

This is the curved planer I'll be using.

http://www.timberwolftools.com/tools/makita/M-1002BA.html

I'm thinking somewhere between .50-$1.00/foot, but that's just a starting point.  Local place that deals logs up here charges $1.50/foot for debarking, but they've already been debarked and have been sitting.  Looking to finish them with the planer to get that "hand hewn" look.

I've used it before for this purpose, just unsure on what I should be charging, since I don't want to offend the guy.  He's a friend of a friend. :)

beenthere

:D :D :D
You say you've used it before for this purpose.
I'd take it then that you know how long it takes to 'plane' a log, how long the blades last before resharpening, how long you last before needing a rest, and how long it takes to move from log to log.

Seems pretty straight forward then to figure out what you want to get for your time, your investment in the electric hand planer, and no one else can guess what will offend the friend of your friends.  ;D ;D

Some pics of what and how you do it, with some of the results will be great. Hope you post them.

Didn't/don't mean to be funny, but maybe just donate your time and get the F of F to provide you with the tools (power planer and knives). 8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Mad Dog 1

Just got off the phone with him, and we agreed on .50/lineal foot.  He's going to provide the generator and Makita curved planer, I just have to supply the labor. I'll try and get some pics to post up when I'm done, seeing as he has about 50 to do. ;D

I also convinced him to let me work on the log home with the 2 other guys building it, to get some first hand experience, outside of the schooling I've had.  Hopefully pick up some tips and tricks I can use on my own cabin.

beenthere

Great.
Anxious to see some pics to see how you go about this task.  8)

What species?  Are you working just one face? Rough sawn face to start with?

Are they wall logs? or beams?
south central Wisconsin

Mad Dog 1

Quote from: beenthere on March 04, 2010, 05:56:50 PM
Great.
Anxious to see some pics to see how you go about this task.  8)

What species?  Are you working just one face? Rough sawn face to start with?

Are they wall logs? or beams?

White spruce is the species. 

I'll be working the full log, they've already been debarked with a draw knife. 

It's going to be Scandinavian full scribe, with saddle notch corners.   We'll be doing everything from the sill logs, up to and including the purlins. 

Not sure if he is going to incorporate a full log truss, but that is something I'd like to do on my cabin.  smiley_chop  ;D

Thank You Sponsors!