iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timberjack 350, any experience??

Started by Upnorth, February 08, 2016, 08:27:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Upnorth

Fellas,

Sold my 240E a while back and have regretted it since the truck showed up to take it away. Seemed like a good idea at the time.

Been on the search for another machine lately. Found an TJ 350 with a Cummins 4BT and Eaton winch. Big rubber, overall looks pretty good. Anyone here with experience on them? I've heard complaints about Detroit powered 350's being lazy, but have heard nothing about the Cummins. This is no more than a hobby machine, so I'm not opposed to an underpowered machine vs one that can tear itself apart.

I'd consider almost anything orange with a Herc/Eaton winch, but they are scarce lately. Appreciate any feedback!
TJ 205
TJ 240E
TJ 350A x 3
TJ 230D x 4

ga jones

A good friend of mine has one. It's a single arch grapple with the eaton winch 353 turbo. It works good. Has the 3 speed Clark. It's just a little smaller than the 380. Same chassis.
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

Maine logger88

A friend of mine had one with a na 353 it was a little gutless but it pulled wood everyday with no problems. A 4bt should have plenty of power
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

treeslayer2003

i think alot of complaints about the 3-53 are from not having the engine tuned. remember, if its hooked to a converter, its a different animal....must maintain rpm under load and yes you better believe that converter loads it. a well tuned 3-53 has plenty enough power to stand that machine on it's back wheels if its tuned right.

kb88

I have a 350 and ended up putting a 453 in it. It's been a good skidder. Haven't really had any problems with it driveline wise. It's built really well.

Northern Logger

I had a 350TJ cable with a 353 turbo in it, Eaton Axles and Eaton winch, 24.5 tires.  Very good machine, stable, and had all the power I needed.  Fuel efficient too.  It had a wide stance and just the right length to it so that it was maneuverable in the bush.  I really liked how stable it was.  Good winch too.

But if I were to buy another skidder, I think it would be a 450TJ, 480TJ, or Clark Ranger 667 dual function grapple that had a winch.  No more jumping in and out of the cab risking life and limb.  FWIW, the 450 has bigger axles/planetaries (W10s I believe?) than the 380.  And the price is pretty much the same as the cable machines, which is somewhere around the $12-15K mark depending on the condition of the machine.

treeslayer2003

Quote from: Northern Logger on February 09, 2016, 03:08:14 PM
I had a 350TJ cable with a 353 turbo in it, Eaton Axles and Eaton winch, 24.5 tires.  Very good machine, stable, and had all the power I needed.  Fuel efficient too.  It had a wide stance and just the right length to it so that it was maneuverable in the bush.  I really liked how stable it was.  Good winch too.

But if I were to buy another skidder, I think it would be a 450TJ, 480TJ, or Clark Ranger 667 dual function grapple that had a winch.  No more jumping in and out of the cab risking life and limb.  FWIW, the 450 has bigger axles/planetaries (W10s I believe?) than the 380.  And the price is pretty much the same as the cable machines, which is somewhere around the $12-15K mark depending on the condition of the machine.
+1 i kinda think i need a 667 dual arch........none of my skidders are really happy pulling the timber i usually cut.

Northern Logger

^  There are a lot of Clark 667's grapples in Northern Ontario.  The problem is finding one in decent shape.  They were and still are a fantastic machine.  A little dated, slow, and maybe crude by today's standards, but more than up to the job and incredibly reliable.  Parts seem to be available still too and a lot cheaper than JD or Cat parts.

KWood255

Also having the opportunity to own/run several 200 series Timberjacks,my 350 with a NA 3-53 works very well. Mine has the smaller tires (18.4x34). I have not found it to be lazy. The Clark 3spd is fast, pulls hard and very easy to operate.
I would struggle with the idea of going back to a 200 series with a 4 speed manual after running my 350.

Another bonus of the 350 is the ease of maintenance due to the numerous access panels. It is way nicer to work on vs. other machines I've had.

Go buy the 350 with the Cummins before someone else does!

Upnorth

Bought it, had it floated home yesterday. Seems to be a fine machine. Nice and quiet with the Cummins.

TJ 205
TJ 240E
TJ 350A x 3
TJ 230D x 4

OntarioAl

And it comes with the blade piler. I have one on my 230D you will be amazed at its versatility from piling logs/pulp, pushing trees over, piling and moving brush etc.
Al
Al Raman

so il logger

Very nice timber jack, look's like a perfect sized machine. I like my 450c but is almost too big for smaller jobs. That is the first 350 i ever seen, i'd like to find one in that good of condition  8)

Ken

Beautiful looking machine.  I had a 450 with a 453 Detroit which is basically the same machine except for the engine.  When I first got a forwarder with a Cummins I continually seemed to be trying to push the pedal harder to make more noise.  Was always used to the screamin GM's. 
Lots of toys for working in the bush

David-L

Nice looking Jack. Congratulations. I just bought a 240b with a Cummins and so far I am lovin it. Turned my idle up a bit as at a low idle it rally can vibrate. Pulling 1000bd/ft with that motor just in the throttle a bit. your new machine looks straight.
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

Upnorth

So far so good, pulled 6 mature poplar through waist high snow yesterday, worked perfectly. The lack of ear pounding noise from a Detroit is a nice change, and it turns on a dime compared to my 240E. Another overlooked feature, no oil slick on the shop floor where the 240 and every other Detroit used to mark its territory. I'm happy with it.
TJ 205
TJ 240E
TJ 350A x 3
TJ 230D x 4

brendonv

"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

47sawdust

Upnorth,
That shot of your garage is real nice.Two good pieces of equipment.Nice buy on the skidder.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Upnorth

TJ 205
TJ 240E
TJ 350A x 3
TJ 230D x 4

Upnorth

TJ 205
TJ 240E
TJ 350A x 3
TJ 230D x 4

62oliver

Thats the machine that was in Red Rock? I thought of checking it out but came across my 240E.
Husqvarna 266, Case 90xt, JD310C, TJ240E, 02 Duramax

millcreek40

Nice skidder  I like the operator  start them young  lol
Two 240A Timberjacks, Mack log truck, Multitek 2040 wood processor.

ehp

that is a very nice skidder, my 450 was not in that great of shape and wished mine had the cummins in it

Upnorth

Quote from: 62oliver on February 28, 2016, 07:53:16 PM
Thats the machine that was in Red Rock? I thought of checking it out but came across my 240E.

Yes sir that's the one. After seeing it it surprised me that no one had beat me to it. It really is in good shape. Congrats on your 240, they are great machines, other than the Gearmatic, mine never gave me any grief. I missed the machine, but not the winch.
TJ 205
TJ 240E
TJ 350A x 3
TJ 230D x 4

Upnorth

Quote from: millcreek40 on February 28, 2016, 08:33:55 PM
Nice skidder  I like the operator  start them young  lol

That's right Millcreek no time like the present
TJ 205
TJ 240E
TJ 350A x 3
TJ 230D x 4