iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Edgemate By Norwood

Started by Fred, July 27, 2003, 07:34:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fred

Anyone on here ever use the edgemate edger by norwood ? If so how does it do with 4/4 & 8/4 oak?
                                   Thanks   Fred
Baker 18M
Woodmaster 718 Planer/ molder

biziedizie

Fred try asking this question over at Norwoods forum, there's a few guys there that have the edgemate.

Steve

Jason_WI

Fred,

I have a Norwood Edgemate that I bought in Feb of this year. It works great and the 13 HP honda has more than enough power - even on 2" red oak. It does take quite a push to overcome the hold down rollers with 2" stock but once it starts feeding there's no stopping it. The driven feed rollers are basically a bunch of sprokets on a shaft and the teeth of the sprokets are what pulls the board through.

The moveable blade moves from 2" to 16" as smooth as butter.

Be ready to tighten a 'few' bolts as this thing comes in kit form.

The only thing that needed to be revamped is the back fence. It needed to be moved closer to the back of the blade.

One part was made wrong. The handle that attaches to the moveable blade had a slot cut on the wrong side of the tubing. I fixed that with a drill and a bandsaw.

Also Norwood wants a $100 bux per blade. All they did was take a 10" rip blade that fits on a hub and saw it in half with a bandsaw. I haven't had to look for any replacements yet though...

Jason
Norwood LM2000, 20HP Honda, 3 bed extentions. Norwood Edgemate edger. Gehl 4835SXT

D._Frederick

Jason-,
I hope that Norwood did more than cut a table saw blade in half for their edger. For the  blade to operate correctly it must be tensioned for the Rpm it will be used at. The halves are cut with a laser to reduce heat. To withstand the higher hp, the blade is made of thicker material. Also, the gullets are shaped different than a table saw blade with fewer teeth.

Jason_WI

Nope, the blades were cut in half with a band saw because there were some saw filings stuck to the blade yet. And you can see the teeth marks on the edge of the blade. It looks like they sawed it freehand cause the cut was a little wavey.

There are only like 10 teeth on the blade with large gullets.
The blade is a little thicker than a table saw balde but not by much.

How can a blade be tensioned if its cut in half???

Jason
Norwood LM2000, 20HP Honda, 3 bed extentions. Norwood Edgemate edger. Gehl 4835SXT

D._Frederick

Jason,
I had a set of blades made for my edger a couple years ago, they told me that the gullets and arbor hole are machined, then blank is tensioned, then they are laser cut in half. Last thing done is brazing the tips on. I was warned not to over heat the blades, because they would warp.

smwwoody

Ok Guys what size blades are each of you talking about?

One of my edgers runs 14" incerted tooth saws Which can need tensioned from time to time.  

the other one used to run 12" incerted tooth saws but now I have went to 10" split carbides  the 10's were never tensioned and saw just fine.  
I know and amishman who builds and sells portable edgers.  he uses 7 1/4 " skill saw blades that he splits with a band saw  first his kids drill out the center hole and the bolt holes for his collers  and beleave it or not they cut great :o
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

Jason_WI

The blades in the Norwood edger are 10" split blade with like a ~3 inch hub and 4 bolt holes. Like I said it looks like they were sawed in half with a bandsaw.

Jason

WyMan

SMwoody

would you be willing to give me the name and info on the amish man who makes the edgers?

hibbertd@yahoo.com

Thanks
Just a thought from a freed modern slave.

isawlogs

I have a enercraft (baker now) I bouth this unit in 94 it has 8 inch blades with 3 inch hubs , 3 bolt hole. It is powered buy a 11 hp honda it is not over powered but yet will not bog down onless you put a 2in spruce  and you forget to open the throdle ...
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

smwwoody

Hi

I'll get you his cell phone number.

they can't have a phone in thier house that has a wire hooked to it but a cell phone is Ok for them to use
 ??? ???
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

Thank You Sponsors!