iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

oak

Started by coxy, July 24, 2019, 05:01:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coxy

is pin oak and white oak the same never cut any of them in my life 

Jeff

I believe pin oak is a sub species of red oak and white oak is the lead species with other sub species beneath it.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Cutter Q

Pin oak is in the red oak family. It is also sometimes referred to as scraggly oak. It generally has smaller leaves than the standard red oak and also only lives to about 90 years old so you won't see massive pin oaks. The only reason I know this is i recently bought 115 acres, and last week I walked the land with my local DNR guy and he happened to mention I had a lot of pin oak, and I needed clearification as to what the heck pin oak was. 

Firewoodjoe

I think we call it black oak here. Very closer to red oak but junky. Has lots of defects in the lumber and seems to be weaker. When there felled the tops bust up.

Southside

Pin oak is red oak as stated, but a lot of folks call Willow oak, Pin Oak, which is another red oak too. What do the leaves look like? 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

coxy

dont know what they look like  ;D i have never cut any of them it was brought up in a conversation that pin oak was in the red oak family but I was always told it was in the white oak family :-\ but I think I trust you guys on what you say  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D thanks for the info it just cost me 50 bucks I lost the bet  >:(

mills

Around here it's a "green" oak if the log is good and sound, but it's "pin" oak if it has voids and bad spots. Same dat burn tree if you ask me, but that's what the old timers and log buyers will tell you.  :D :D :D Bark is dark green, sap wood is white, but the heartwood is brown. You never know how a true pin oak will saw out.

Since we don't have a lot of good quality walnut, white oak is king in these parts. And, the only wood good enough to store good ole Kentucky bourbon.  ;)

Dave Shepard

Pin oak around here, quercus palustris, is much different than red oak. It is an ornamental. Black oak, quercus velutina, is very close to red oak, but has many small knots making it less desirable than red oak.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

WDH

There is a whack of red oaks.  Pin oak is just one.  In the Northern frozen areas, there are only a few red oaks, with northern red oak and black oak the predominate ones.  In the South, there are a scad of red oaks.  More than you can count with all your fingers and toes.  

What people call a pin oak in Magicman's area of the world is not pin oak at all.  It is a local thing.  Many local names for trees are dead wrong. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

btulloh

As far as I know, the leaf of the pin oak is unique and impossible to confuse with another type of oak. Around here at least the bark is unmistakable. I've run into a lot of people that confuse willow oak with pin oak, until I show them a pin oak leaf.

Of course there have been times when I 've posted something absolute on here and then I learn that I'm absolutely wrong. So at least I learn. Progress.
HM126

gspren

My theory is that Pin Oak was once used for carving a wooden boy, Pinocchio.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Jeff

btulloh

I've heard that pin oak tastes like chicken.
HM126

mike_belben

Quote from: mills on July 24, 2019, 08:28:23 PM
Around here it's a "green" oak if the log is good and sound, but it's "pin" oak if it has voids and bad spots. Same dat burn tree if you ask me, but that's what the old timers and log buyers will tell you.  :D :D :D 
Yeah and the whole thing is covered in invisible "pin knots" when the buyer aint buyin.  Funny how them pin knots can grow on any species, not just pin oak, when the piles are high. Then they fade away anytime the sorting yard gets low.
Praise The Lord

WDH

That elusive pin oak pin knot.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

ehp

Pin oak here looks like red oak but is not the same tree and the mill knows it . Pin oak is worth a lot less than red here , black oak is a different tree again and then there is golden oak which is a black and red crossed

Autocar

Pin oak here is just that pin knots from ground level to the tip top. Lower branches sweep down and die as the tree matures the dead branches hang on till H### feezes over. Pin oak if grow in the right spot can be sold as red oak Black oak is ruffer bark and darker wood then red oak. Around here easy to see the difference in each species and as far as White Oak compleaty different specie. You can sell white/swamp white / and bur as pure white around here unless she is reaily dark colored lumber.
Bill

Southside

Of course, just to keep things interesting there is Chestnut Oak.....
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

ZAB

...and Scarlet Oak, that's the one I often mistake for Pin Oak ... both often referred to junk oak on payday. 

nativewolf

Pin oak heartwood is often brown, not a nice red like Southern Red Oak or Cherry Bark Oak.  Lots of shake because normally a yard tree, grows in wet areas so bacteria often infect (causing shake), hmm gets confused with scarlet oak but barks are different.  Pin oak bark is smoother than scarlet, Pin oak and Willow oak both have fairly smooth bark.   Scarlet oak bark is going to look more like Southern Red oak or Cherry bark but slightly different and without the long ski trails of Northern Red.  Here is a funny discussion on Pin Oak, some of our forum members commented.

https://wunderwoods.wordpress.com/2017/07/16/why-not-mill-pin-oak/

Scarlet oak is a bit more hit and miss on quality than Southern Red if you ask me but better than Pin or willow.
Liking Walnut

timberking

Hunt for squirrels in the pin oak flats which are really willow and water oak.  Have heard that description my whole life.

livemusic

Quote from: Southside on July 24, 2019, 07:29:23 PM
Pin oak is red oak as stated, but a lot of folks call Willow oak, Pin Oak, which is another red oak too. What do the leaves look like?
Down here, pretty much everybody calls willow oak pin oak. Wrong! I don't think we actually have pin oak here but we do have red oak (southern red oak, I assume). There are a bunch of species under "red oak" and same goes for "white oak."
~~~
Bill

WDH

You have southern red oak, nuttall oak (also called Texas Oak), black oak, water oak, willow oak, cherrybark oak, laurel oak, blackjack oak, and a handful of less common more obscure ones. 

Southside

Quote from: WDH on July 28, 2019, 11:14:18 AMand a handful of less common more obscure ones.

gumbo oak, oak cocktail, stuffed oak, creole oak, pineapple oak, lemon oak, pepper oak.....:D  least we forget @doc henderson favorite - Maple oak.   :D
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

WDH

BBQ oak.  Oak hash.  Boiled oak.  Fried oak.  Roasted oak with acorns.  Friccaseed oak.  Oak pies.  Mac and cheese oak. 

barbender

In my area of the frozen north, we have northern red oak, northern pin oak, and bur oak. And the pin oak is rare, so things are pretty simple for us up here. I don't know how you guys kee all of those hardwoods straight!
Too many irons in the fire

BargeMonkey

Due to elevation here the oak changes if I go 10 miles either way of home. Close to 20yrs cutting wood and last yr was the 1st white oak I had ever cut, go down off the mt and they have "rock oak" which is garbage compared to the red oak we have up here in the higher elevations. 

Tarm

Quote from: barbender on July 28, 2019, 09:24:39 PM
In my area of the frozen north, we have northern red oak, northern pin oak, and bur oak. And the pin oak is rare, so things are pretty simple for us up here. I don't know how you guys kee all of those hardwoods straight!
In NE Wisconsin you can add white oak to that list. Northern pin oak is not rare here, there are abundant  stands of it on the sandy outwash soils. The locals call it scrub oak. Makes great firewood and that's about all.

doc henderson

sounds like @Southside  needs a little more fiber in his diet.  We are in the north so will pick up some syrup to put on our pin oak next time I eat some!! and of course with a little Ice! :D 8)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Jeff

BradMarks

Bubba woulda said Fried Oak-ra.

Thank You Sponsors!