iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Nursery source for red pine new england

Started by Plankton, December 05, 2020, 10:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plankton

Looking to plant a small plantation of red and white pines on our property. About 2 acres worth probably havent nailed in a spot quite yet.

Anyone know of a good cheap nursery to get plugs from? I'm located in northwest mass so somewhere up north here would be ideal.

I just got a catalog from chief river nursery with an order from forestry suppliers but it seemed a little pricy at a $1 a plug. Maybe thats standard though.

Also does anyone know of Interplanting red and white pines in a plantation? Was hoping to plant fairly dense and get more self pruning from the white pines and have a little more diversity then just straight red pine.

Would just plant mostly white pine but I'm worried about losing most to weevil.

stavebuyer

The KY Div of Forestry state operated nurseries get $.75 for 1 year old bare root stock for large orders. Small orders $.85 to 1.50.

chep

Plankton

Thanks for the replies. I got on the new hampshire nursery mailing list for 2021. This years prices seem very reasonable. Around .50 c for larger orders.

Tarm

Quote from: Plankton on December 05, 2020, 10:52:42 AM
Also does anyone know of Interplanting red and white pines in a plantation? Was hoping to plant fairly dense and get more self pruning from the white pines and have a little more diversity then just straight red pine.

A common past practice in Wisconsin was to plant 15% white pines scattered in the red pines. After the third thinning (50 years) white pine would seed in naturally under the red pine. The new white pine crop growing in the shade would be free of weevil.

Thank You Sponsors!