iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

NY Hard Maple Harvest

Started by adirondack harvester, April 26, 2006, 07:41:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

adirondack harvester

Here's some pictures from the Hard Maple logging I did this past week.  There wasn't much of it on the property so I had to travel all over just to get this small pile.  But with current prices it should be worth it.

Just cut to length.

Finished pile.

beenthere

Noticing quite a few 'short' lengths trimmed off. Is that because of trucking?  Seems a waste of good lumber laying there in the log ends bucked off.  But expect there is more to the story.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

oakiemac

Some of those Maples look real nice with small hearts. I love a small hearted Maple ;D
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

wiam

beenthere,  on maple, trimming out defects can really raise the price of a log way more than the footage that you lose.

Will

J.J

NICE JOB . WHERE ARE YOU CUTTING? AND SAVE THE TRIM PIECES YOU CAN SPLIT THEM UP AMD SELL FIREWOOD

woodmills1

Nice maple, nice job.  Yes, maple is about the only shining light right now.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

beenthere

wiam
I agree with that as a possibility, and I'm interested in why.  :)

As the blocks seem to be on the end of two bucked logs. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

HORSELOGGER

Did  you cut any other species or just the maple?
Heritage Horselogging & Lumber Co.
"Surgical removal of standing timber, Leaving a Heritage of timber for tommorow. "

adirondack harvester

I was cutting these in northern NY.

Yes, there were a couple reasons for the trimming.  Some of the trees had some rot and I had to cut that out.  The other reason is for grading purposes.  I had to remove some butt ends to remove seams and other imperfections.  As my grandfather always told me "let the tree tell you what lengths to cut" so that is what I try to do.  It's really amazing the price difference for veneer vs. sawlog.  I was lucky to save most of the trees since most had severe crown damage and I only had one tree that was a loss.   But I use the word 'loss' loosely since the firewood prices are skyrocketing.   

Ron Wenrich

Sounds like there was pretty bad logging damage from the last logging job.  Probably the reason for the rot and all the seams.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

woodmills1

firewood is getting amazing I got more for the last load of firewood than I did for a load of low grade oak sawlogs.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

adirondack harvester

Actually the damage is from a severe ice storm we had back in '98, a lot of trees were lost in the area from that storm.  The property hasn't been logged for over 50 years.

Thank You Sponsors!