iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

NYS - Current Pulse of the Timber Market?

Started by Abeman, December 14, 2017, 06:14:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abeman

Abeman

Thanks for the help...figured out to get the pics in. Any idea what species this is, I measured 40" DBH? 

Banjo picker

That last tree looks like a post oak to me.  In the white oak family at least a first cousin.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

BargeMonkey

Quote from: Banjo picker on December 16, 2017, 09:56:49 PM
That last tree looks like a post oak to me.  In the white oak family at least a first cousin.  Banjo
Looked kind of like a white oak, we are 99% RO up here.

BargeMonkey

Quote from: nativewolf on December 16, 2017, 09:17:23 PM
Quote from: BargeMonkey on December 16, 2017, 09:03:57 PM
We don't have this "mysterious BW" up here, I've only ever cut 1 and it was dead. Anyway the GFs family had a tree tip over this fall, I go down to clean it up, it's in the better park of Catskill 😂 this BW had 3-4 decent logs in it, about 18" On the stump, I would have sawed it, her father wanted it blocked up for the firewood, said if you want you can have the other 10-12 out in the back yard 😂

I PM-ed you those #'s, both those guys are good, John is about as good as they come and been in the Northern logger, does all the work over to Hunter and Windham, markets his own logs, both those guys book wood yrs in advance. I'm actually headed down to look at a big job in Monticello for family of a landowner up here.

Wait wait...which GF?  You really cut it for firewood?  Shoot, I'd have swaped him Firewood split already for that tree.  darn...

Did you take the other 10?

That GF. 😂 those are G's, something I hadn't seen before.  blocked ever last piece up. Got about 100mbdft in my yard right now to saw, at somepoint I will go down and get those, on a dead end street way up on the hill in Catskill, not exactly friendly to get a truck into.

nativewolf

Quote from: Abeman on December 16, 2017, 09:23:42 PM

So I think 1 pic may be a locust?  Anyway,  good to see the kids picking up walnuts.  Your trees are the picture perfect reason walnut is tough...lots of crotch wood just where you don't want it, that 1 tree crotch is about 4-5 feet off the ground and that was a nice log.  Still might get a log between that crotch and the next crotch, you need 7'.  The other tree with the picture of the kids has more potential, you'll want 7-8' because except for the low crotch on that one it looks ok so you are in the price above 2/bdft.  Not sure just how large it is.  Sometimes with Walnut we dig down a bit to get an extra few inches.  :)

Thanks for posting and good to see your family enjoying your forest.
Liking Walnut

nativewolf

Quote from: BargeMonkey on December 16, 2017, 10:03:32 PM
Quote from: nativewolf on December 16, 2017, 09:17:23 PM
Quote from: BargeMonkey on December 16, 2017, 09:03:57 PM
We don't have this "mysterious BW" up here, I've only ever cut 1 and it was dead. Anyway the GFs family had a tree tip over this fall, I go down to clean it up, it's in the better park of Catskill 😂 this BW had 3-4 decent logs in it, about 18" On the stump, I would have sawed it, her father wanted it blocked up for the firewood, said if you want you can have the other 10-12 out in the back yard 😂

I PM-ed you those #'s, both those guys are good, John is about as good as they come and been in the Northern logger, does all the work over to Hunter and Windham, markets his own logs, both those guys book wood yrs in advance. I'm actually headed down to look at a big job in Monticello for family of a landowner up here.

Wait wait...which GF?  You really cut it for firewood?  Shoot, I'd have swaped him Firewood split already for that tree.  darn...

Did you take the other 10?

That GF. 😂 those are G's, something I hadn't seen before.  blocked ever last piece up. Got about 100mbdft in my yard right now to saw, at somepoint I will go down and get those, on a dead end street way up on the hill in Catskill, not exactly friendly to get a truck into.

G?  G?  darn...sigh...thanks for finally making an honest bargemonkey post.  You need some help in your yard, we were lucky to find 2 good guys and a weekend helper.  Have labor when we need it.
Liking Walnut

PA_Walnut

Wolf,
Thanks for the snapshot. Is this what you are selling your logs for, or what you are paying?

I always have a challenge over what to pay for logs that I am purchasing for my mill...sometimes they are down and bucked-up, sometimes they are standing, sometimes I have to bring my equipment in to move/load them, etc.

Of course, a nice log delivered to my yard is sweet, but I usually have to involve myself at some other level....particularly nice stuff.

Have a formula I use, but would like to hear others' comment on theirs, as a sanity check.
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

nativewolf

Ahh, what the logs bring.  We have only the rare super special log so this is mostly good to very good sawtimber and veneer trees.  As you know we sell the whole tree once it is down, all the way down to 6-8" branches. 

This is mill pricing (or export yard) then split with the landowner, we are doing almost all cutting on shares, 40/60 to 60/40 depending on the property and amount of walnut.  For one off's in the field it is down to 30/70. 
Liking Walnut

coxy

hey barge if your in Monticello you can look up your buddy that's where he lives   just remember in some places you need a permit to cut  just thought id let you know  ;D

Southside

Thanks Barge - 'bout spit all over the keyboard after reading your post.    :o  My wife was wondering what was so funny.....
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

mike_belben

Looked caucasian to me.  Which is 99% of what we have down here.
Praise The Lord

Corley5

Put those walnuts in your driveway and run over them with your vehicle a few times to break the husks up and get them off the nut.  Then you can pick up the husk free nut.  Way better than peeling them by hand and it won't hurt the nut a bit :)  Or find an old corn sheller to run them through :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Thank You Sponsors!