iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood hauling in georgia?

Started by Woodhauler, December 10, 2014, 07:48:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodhauler

My wifes sister and husband just took 2 tractor trailers down to haul wood! He is driving one and one of his hired men went down. Bought 2 new petes and 4 new 2 axle trailers! He has 15 trucks, 3 tree leghth loaders and slashers working up here in maine! I think its going to be hard trying to run to jobs 1000miles apart!He  said their is a shortage of trucks down there??? Is it that much better then up here?
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

barbender

I'd be surprised if he doesn't come home with his tail between his legs :(
Too many irons in the fire

Woodhauler

Seems like a big jump when your 60! Isn't like he doesn't have a sucsefull buiseness up here!
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

RayMO

Gotta admire his ambition  :o He would go broke in a hurry here in MO I suspect but we don't have near the logging industry many of you all have .
Father & Son Logging and sawing operation .

bill m

I just got back from driving to Florida and saw a lot of log trucks on the highway. I would think he should be able to find enough work for the winter.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

thompsontimber

There is always high demand for good reliable haulers here it seems.  Emphasis on good and reliable... Few and far between when you put such extreme constraints on potential haulers.  Don't know if he can make money and certainly skeptical of such a jump being a wise move, but he should have no trouble staying busy.

Woodhauler

When i worked in west virginia in 1998 it was the same way! Could have had 50 loads aweek to haul if i wanted it!

timberlinetree

I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

timberking

If he gets tired of Georgia, send him to Texas.  Oil field has robbed the trucking, plenty of work.

smwwoody

tell him to stop in Virginia on his way  lots of work here. 
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

barbender

I don't know if there is ever a shortage of trucking work anywhere you go- the difference is whether you can make any money at it or not ;)

Dave Shepard

That was my thought as well. As a friend of mine says, he never has a shortage of work, just a shortage of money. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

barbender

Yep, I'd always be busy if I worked for free ;D

lopet

Until you get to the point where you don't wanna be busy anymore.  :D :D
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

Woodhauler

Quote from: smwwoody on December 13, 2014, 05:41:46 PM
tell him to stop in Virginia on his way  lots of work here.
I will be down end of march! Find me some trucking!!!!

Southside

For a visit or to get away for mud season?  Almost nobody runs a loader on a trailer down here, gross weight limits are too low. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Woodhauler

Quote from: Southside logger on December 14, 2014, 07:45:57 PM
For a visit or to get away for mud season?  Almost nobody runs a loader on a trailer down here, gross weight limits are too low.
Oh i wouldn't be against bringing my truck down. I have a self loader wheeler not a trailer. Worked in wv one spring , they have stricter weight laws then maine

barbender

I remember when I visited Georgia, between the lower weight limits and the denser, heavier wood species, the trucks looked like they only had half a load on.

smwwoody

What is the wheel base of your truck. I could put you to work but let's see if you can make any money
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
KJ4WXC

Woodhauler

Quote from: smwwoody on December 16, 2014, 10:48:11 AM
What is the wheel base of your truck. I could put you to work but let's see if you can make any money
Just a little shorty...295 inch with a tag axle!

smwwoody

4 axles at 25' gives you a 58000 gross in VA.

You get a 5% over for hauling out of the woods and you can buy a 5% overload permit on top of that so that would put you at 63945 gross.  what does your truck weigh empty.  how long is the log body
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
KJ4WXC

Woodhauler

Well on of my brother in laws drivers already tucked tail and is heading home! 2 trucks down there, one driver!

Thank You Sponsors!