iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Support for The Forest Forum

Started by fstedy, December 23, 2005, 12:43:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fstedy

As many of you know this forum is operated mainly by support from our Great Sponsors but we must devise some ways of adding additional funds to keep Her healthy. Jeff has come up with a 5% premium for sellers of large items sold in the Commerce section which is more than fair compared to other internet based sites. I know many of you make beautiful hand crafted items. I bought some name signs from WVhillbilly that are a great item many of you may not be aware of this. I'm sure many of you make things which I would buy and many shoppers on the Web would purchase if they were aware. We have an opportunity to market these items here not only to help you ( nice Web presence here ) but to help contribute a portion of the profits to the Forum. We have available many specialty wood products also ( unique woods from Central America thru native items( Burls Spalted and Quarter Sawn ) to offer. Who knows Ebay and Amazon started from simple needs and look where they have gone. Their are a lot of people searching for just what we have to offer. Kick it around and see what we can develop. I just rolled the snowball down the hill lets see how big we can make it grow. I wish you all a MERRY CHRISTMAS and a HAPPY, HEALTHY, PROSPEROUS NEW YEAR.
Ed
Timberking B-20   Retired and enjoying every minute of it.
Former occupations Electrical Lineman, Airline Pilot, Owner operator of Machine Shop, Slot Machine Technician and Sawmill Operator.
I know its a long story!!!

crtreedude

I like the idea fstedy, I have often thought that a listing of available inventory would be a great thing - That way, a person who was looking for a particular piece of wood (or a supply) could have a source.

So, how did I end up here anyway?

farmerdoug

That is a great idea.  8) I would prefer to buy something from a member here than go to HD or Lowe's.  We just need a spot to list the small items that we have available to sell.  I am sure that everyone has somthing to move that someone else on here would be interested in.  A section for lists of small items and still be a way to support the forum. :P  Kinda like the locate a sawyer list I guess.

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

Captain

Stay tuned, members.  The TimberPro Online store is coming in a couple of weeks....with 10% of sales to Forestry Forum members going to support the Forestry Forum.  In fact, the first sale to Troy (Troy Lancaster) was last week. (How's the slabber chain, Troy??)

What is in the online store??  Here's a sampling...

Everything LogRite
Chainsaw Chain, Bars, lubricants, sharpening supplies...more...
Small engine parts, engines, especially discounted Kohler items

The store will also ultimately include Peterson Sawmills parts, but only a selection of them will qualify for the 10% Forestry Forum contribution (sorry)

Watch for a BIG ANNOUNCEMENT when the store opens....for now if you need anything, send me a PM and we'll see what we can do....

Thanks...

Captain

Look for this link to the left!

WV_hillbilly

I  think it's a great idea too. I'm willing to do this also .  With all the different people we have on here we should be able to cover most anything someone would need .
Hillbilly

Paschale

Hear, hear!  I think it's a great idea too...and for the exposure we get in the Commerce Section to a huge audience, the 5% is really a great deal.  We all love this place, and to find a way for us to help support it is something I think we all can, and should, really get behind!

Thanks for the post, Fstedy!   8)
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

fstedy

I know their may be some resistance to paying a sellers premium (5%) but if we are making a profit thru FF we must support it. I know Jeff's efforts although a labor of love do require time and financial expendatures. Many learned of the Sawmill Exchange here and purchased mills thru them, FF did the referring and the Exchange made the profit, somethings wrong about that. If we were able to develop links with woodworkers sites it could open another marketing opportunity for us. I'm sure their are many other things we could do also. Lets get some ideas going folks.
Timberking B-20   Retired and enjoying every minute of it.
Former occupations Electrical Lineman, Airline Pilot, Owner operator of Machine Shop, Slot Machine Technician and Sawmill Operator.
I know its a long story!!!

crtreedude

One of the catch 22s down here that this might work really well for is this - shipping a container from here is pretty easy - but a 20' container is a lot of wood. If we accumulate a container of wood and ship it up, it is going to be very reasonable for people to buy tropical hardwood - you are going to pay through the nose if we ship say a 100 BF - like an extra dollar a lb.

So, having something like this would allow an accumulation of orders to ship all at once. If people allow us to do it that way, we can definitely give a much better price.

This might be a good pitch fstedy - buy direct from the sawyers and save BIG! Cut out layers and layers of middlemen.

The other thing is that I have people here who can make a tropical hardwood door for 200 to 300 dollars - including carving if you want - (really prime - $500). Guanacaste, Caobilla, you name it. Some wood will be more expensive. 

Shipping them with a container of wood makes it very inexpensive.

I pay sales commissions now - this would be no different.  "You will not muzzle the ox that treads out the grain..." (No Jeff, I am not calling you an Ox... )

So, how did I end up here anyway?

Paschale

Hear, hear, CR...and to follow up your last quote:

"A workman's worth his wages," also from the same source.   ;)
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Thank You Sponsors!