iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

R V refrigerators

Started by pineywoods, September 12, 2013, 09:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pineywoods

Lots of forumites have R V's of one type or another. They all have one thing in common, gas or gas/electric refrigerators. Mine finally quit cooling after 14 years. Priced a new one. OUCH $1600 for a 6 cubic foot fridge plus installation. I found out that people who know anything about these boxes are scarce as hens teeth. That definitely includes me. Building a fire under something that then gets cold is hard to get my mind around. Quote my favorite vulcan, "that is not logical". I've never been one to back away from a challenge, so I proceeded to remove the old unit (not a simple task either. Tight fit through the door). The entire cooling system is a sealed unit that just bolts on to the back side of the box. Here's the old unit after I got it off.

Found a couple of places up in Arkansas that sell re-built cooling units exchange, but I opted for a new Amish built unit. Not exactly cheap, but better than a total new fridge. It came with detailed installation instructions, and other than a few minor hitches like screw holes in the wrong place, installed without a hitch. Testing was a bit of a hassle. worked well on electric, but couldn't get the propane fire to burn. That turned out to be a mud dauber plug in the line to the propane regulator.
So now I guess I'm a qualified gas refrigeration "expert". An ex is a has been and a spurt is a drip under pressure... ;D
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

submarinesailor

Quote from: pineywoods on September 12, 2013, 09:54:07 PM
That turned out to be a mud dauber plug in the line to the propane regulator.

To paraphrase Magic Man, "I hates mud daubers".  They mess up a lot of things for me.

BTW – good on you pineywoods for getting it replaced/repaired.

Bruce

moosehunter

Now that is just weird. I was reading this thread and got interrupted by a phone call from submarinesailor, come back to the thread and he is the next poster!
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

submarinesailor

drobertson

Pineywoods, good job on getting that thing out, they are a pain, once they go it's pretty much over, R&R, if you can get em out!     david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Thank You Sponsors!