iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Two trees to Identify ??

Started by sr73087, October 20, 2013, 07:50:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sr73087

So this is the wood that I am now in the process of splitting but cut up a week ago. The top picture is of the tree that was difficult to cut and dinged up my chain twice while cutting it. It was probably 30% larger in diameter but felt like a harder wood with a thick bark. The second tree was like cutting butter, right through the tree, very very easy. The bark was much thinner. Both trees were dead with no leaves to aid in identification. Sorry the pictures aren't too great just took them a few mins ago in the dark. If its difficult to tell I can take better ones tomorrow morning.

GAB

I'm definitely not the best at identifying trees, but my guess is that the first one is ash and the second one is yellow birch.  I don't know if the first is green or white ash.  Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

beenthere

Out of focus pics, but I wouldn't argue with GAB's call.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

That yellow birch will split hard too. It won't pop open. Kinda stringy.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SPIKER

SR  if you fill out rest of your profile (location for one) will help everyone out. 

Pics are poor quality but those could be Red/Slippery Elm on top and sweet cherry on bottom.   again pic quality is rather poor but could be as GAB said too.

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

sr73087

I am in northern Fairfield County CT and will get some better pictures up ASAP.

sr73087

The tree in the top pictures was much hard to cut and now to split as well. The tree in the bottom two pictures cut like butter and splits easily.

colincb183

Looks like white ash and pin cherry.

Thank You Sponsors!