Sponsors:

Removing Blade Set

Started by vfauto, July 27, 2012, 08:54:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vfauto

Quote from: rwthom279 on July 29, 2012, 10:46:34 PM
Quote from: vfauto on July 29, 2012, 08:31:25 PM
Quote from: LeeB on July 29, 2012, 07:06:02 PM
Use your setter to do it. Just set the anvil to set to 0 and bend the teeth back in instead of out. You will need to do the teeth opposite what you do when setting them. Takes about 10 minutes per blade or less.
I think that would only work with a single tooth setter????

vfauto,  What kind are you using??
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter.
The definition of insanity is to do the same things over and over and expect a different result!

Cutting Edge

I don't have one of those....nor do I know anything about a Cooks.  What I was referring to was a modification for WM single tooth setters (maybe others?).  I'm sure folks that have a Cooks will have a technique though.  Sorry for any confusion.
"Winning an argument isn't everything, as long as you are heard and understood" - W.S.

Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC -
- Sharpening Services
- Portable/Custom Milling and Slabbing
- On-Site Sawmill Maintenance/Repair Services

Factory Direct Kasco WoodMaxx Blades
Ph- (304) 878-3343

LeeB

It works really well with a Cooks. Just set both anvils to 0 set and run the blade through twice. You have to run it twice to catch both teeth, assuming you leave the third tooth without set as a raker. After the first run you will have to shift the blade so you can get the teeth on the other side. I use a Cooks also and have done this myself when I overset after I first started using it. I never tried flipping the blade inside out and running it through backwards. You may be able to do that and get both teeth in one run. I'll try it tommorow and see.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

bandmiller2

You may run amuck turning the band inside out as the pawl that advances the teeth will ride up the back of the tooth and not advance.Frank how many bands did you overset and by how much.?? Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

vfauto

Quote from: bandmiller2 on July 30, 2012, 07:49:47 AM
You may run amuck turning the band inside out as the pawl that advances the teeth will ride up the back of the tooth and not advance.Frank how many bands did you overset and by how much.?? Frank C.
Just a few that I know of, but I am still having a teriable time getting the set consistent.
The definition of insanity is to do the same things over and over and expect a different result!

Bibbyman

I've found I get the best results with clean blade without burr.  We have the dual tooth setter and I've been running the blade around twice. Just takes another 60 cranks.

Our old Wood-Mizer single tooth setter had a gauge built in so you could tell if you over or under set as soon as you let the pressure off.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

wormy

i put a new blade on my mill  and was setting my blade to run on my band wheels ran the blade in to far and tadah no set

terrifictimbersllc

Take one of the pushers out of a dual tooth setter, and then push the set out with the other.  Do one side then the other with first one, then the other pusher.    Have to change your setting so getting it back can be a pain, but it works.   I prefer to just use an overset blade on knotty softwood which works great, even with overset blades as much as 40 thousandths.  I "label" an overset blade with a wire tie so I know which ones they are when out on the road.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Thank You Sponsors!